The News Thread

What have you read on the opposition to vaccinations?

Jen McCarthy blinded them all with her bewbs.

I haven't seen any substantial evidence that vaccines are a serious health risk. I also haven't seen any substantial evidence that vaccinations are as wonderful as claimed. Too many factors at play. It is a fact that flu vaccines may as well be snake oil. I suspect some vaccines are quite useful and some less useful and some worse than useless (like flu vaccines), but because of the nature of the topic all we get are these stupid shouting matches.

Yeah, it's funny Matt is trying to tie antivax to FoxNewsers when it's strongest with the Lululemon crowd - that's a democrat bloc.

... :rolleyes: typical left-wing jargon, as expected from you. Like i said, about as dense as a piece of cardboard.

Everyone on this board thinks you're an idiot.

Yeah, it's funny Matt is trying to tie antivax to FoxNewsers when it's strongest with the Lululemon crowd - that's a democrat bloc.

It's clearly the strongest amongst the Jenny McCarthy followers, who are almost entirely republican. Democrats, overall, tend to trust the government and science more. Remember when they tried to link vaccines to autism like rms said? It seems like a large part of the Republican party thinks that the government is actively trying to kill them or destroy the country and the freakout over vaccines is another example of that

Jen McCarthy blinded them all with her bewbs.

I haven't seen any substantial evidence that vaccines are a serious health risk. I also haven't seen any substantial evidence that vaccinations are as wonderful as claimed. Too many factors at play. It is a fact that flu vaccines may as well be snake oil. I suspect some vaccines are quite useful and some less useful and some worse than useless (like flu vaccines), but because of the nature of the topic all we get are these stupid shouting matches.

Yeah, I think it was just coincidence that polio disappeared from the west the same time polio vaccinations became a thing.

Mathiäs;1105682 said:
It's clearly the strongest amongst the Jenny McCarthy followers, who are almost entirely republican. Democrats, overall, tend to trust the government and science more. Remember when they tried to link vaccines to autism like rms said? It seems like a large part of the Republican party thinks that the government is actively trying to kill them or destroy the country and the freakout over vaccines is another example of that

Whoa now. I side with Dak, I think the anti-Vax crowd is largely led by the California lululemon crowd that Dak mentioned. I honestly thought Republicans were pro-vaccine until the debate.

I honestly thought it was common knowledge that it was conservative/libertarian thing to be anti-vax. Plenty of republican lawkmakers (including Rand Paul) are against mandatory vaccination, but very few democrats are. Because being pro-science and anti-vax do not correlate at all.

Mathiäs;11056843 said:
I honestly thought it was common knowledge that it was conservative/libertarian thing to be anti-vax. Plenty of republican lawkmakers (including Rand Paul) are against mandatory vaccination, but very few democrats are. Because being pro-science and anti-vax do not correlate at all.

Only by a little bit, and it's a minority in both groups. The conservative side of things rests mostly on the fundamentalist core preferring their daughters to get HPV if it means less promiscuity. The "causes autism!" group is pretty bipartisan.

I mean, Jenny McCarthy is a Hollywood liberal, right? I've never heard of her having a strong base of Republican followers.

Liberals are full of anti-GMO cucks regardless.

Being antivax is very easily framed as anti-bigpharma - big corporations trying to make us sick for a profit. It's not exclusively an anti biggov/"science" thing.

You can also believe in the efficacy of vaccinations and be against making them mandatory.

Wouldn't Paul's beliefs be more in line with libertarian rather than a discussion on science?

I think he's endorsed the idea that vaccinations have caused autism, so that would be in the anti-science book. I agree that simply believing parents should have a choice on whether or not to vaccinate their children is more a libertarian principle though.

Mathiäs;11056855 said:
If you don't make them mandatory, their efficacy goes down, and horrible diseases that were once eradicated come back and people die.

Herd immunity is the shakiest aspect of vaccine research.

You can definitely argue that GMO foods and vaccinations are both intended to help the poorest in society. Food "choice" is almost as silly as saying people have a "choice" in not going to college.