The News Thread

In 2017, when Mr. Carmona was running for Congress, Ms. Mendieta, the woman who worked with Ms. Di Lauro, came forward with allegations that Mr. Carmona had demeaned women during the 2016 campaign. Ms. Mendieta said in a March 2017 post on Medium that Mr. Carmona treated female staffers “like his personal assistants fetching things for him and doing his errands.”

Other women backed up Ms. Mendieta’s allegations, and a letter signed by dozens of former campaign staffers and surrogates was circulated urging progressives to withdraw their endorsements of Mr. Carmona. (He lost his special election primary bid in 2017.)

In an interview, Ms. Mendieta said that she complained multiple times to Mr. Velazquez and Mr. Pelletier about Mr. Carmona and was repeatedly ignored, at one point being told by Mr. Velazquez that she should forgive Mr. Carmona’s behavior because he was “macho.”

Pretty fuckin racist for NYT editors to throw out a blatant anti-spic dogwhistle like this.

EDIT: Scrolled down a little further

“I was shaking with fear,’’ she said. “Literally, I remember thinking to myself, ‘What am I going to do?’” She said she reported the incident to Mr. Pelletier.

LITERALLY SHAKING

Some former staff members said there was little pay transparency, and employees often negotiated their own salaries — practices that tend to favor men, who often feel more comfortable requesting higher compensation packages.

Also, have the goalposts moved from "The pay gap exists because employers are sexist men" to "The pay gap exists because of gender differences in willingness to negotiate, which is sexist"? Is negotiation a bad thing now?

Last edited:
Also, have the goalposts moved from "The pay gap exists because employers are sexist men" to "The pay gap exists because of gender differences in willingness to negotiate, which is sexist"? Is negotiation a bad thing now?

I think they've had the "women don't get promotions because they're socialized to be non-combative" angle for some time now.

Yeah, and I don't even really disagree that socialization plays a significant role, but the article implies that it's Sanders' fault for allowing pay-negotiation to begin with. I guess I didn't state that clearly in my post though.