The News Thread

I think people that post cover art of goregrind containing actual autopsies, murder scenes, hentai of girls stuffed into suitcases, etc are on no moral grounds to speak about the edgy viewing of content on the internet.

Reactions: The Ozzman
I think people that post cover art of goregrind containing actual autopsies, murder scenes, hentai of girls stuffed into suitcases, etc are on no moral grounds to speak about the edgy viewing of content on the internet.

I think people who conflate shitty anime art and random gore images usually taken from medical and police archives with livestreams of innocent men, women and children being massacred by a terrorist live on Facebook are just pathetic contrarians trying way too hard.

Last edited:
And yet the devout Muslims he killed were living compatibly with the white people and modern western values of metropolitan New Zealand.

You mean not stoning infidels? Non-muslims in Muslim majority countries fair somewhat poorly. Not really a problem, that's kind of the function countries were supposed to serve before everyone in the west got historical amnesia after WWII.

I think people who conflate shitty anime art and random gore images usually taken from medical and police archives with livestreams of innocent men, women and children being massacred by a terrorist live on Facebook are just pathetic contrarians trying way too hard.

Other than the NZ shooting being very recent, describe the difference. And the former's recency could easily be argued to be a positive point towards its viewing, for the purpose of being informed on the news of the time. Random gore images serve no such value.

Other than the NZ shooting being very recent, describe the difference. And the former's recency could easily be argued to be a positive point towards its viewing, for the purpose of being informed on the news of the time. Random gore images serve no such value.

I'm not posting random gore images for their value, I'm posting them because that's the album art for the album I'm indicating that I'm listening to on the forum you utter brainlet contrarian. Ozzman watched the massacre footage to see the massacre, I'm simply posting accompanying art because I'm listening to the album.

If you can't understand the fundamental difference there you're as retarded as your new gimp Pozzedman is.

I'm not posting random gore images for their value, I'm posting them because that's the album art for the album I'm indicating that I'm listening to on the forum you utter brainlet contrarian. Ozzman watched the massacre footage to see the massacre, I'm simply posting accompanying art because I'm listening to the album.

If you can't understand the fundamental difference there you're as retarded as your new gimp Pozzedman is.

Why do you feel a need to listen to that kind of music to begin with? And why do you feel a need to share it? If I make a Moonman single based on the shooting and use a modified screencap from the livestream as cover art, will posting the cover on the forum be valid? I think that would be pretty edgy.

Why do you feel a need to listen to that kind of music to begin with?

I like it.

And why do you feel a need to share it?

The NP and ACKYA threads pretty much necessitate doing so, and I didn't pay any extra thought to what is on the cover art.

If I make a Moonman single based on the shooting and use a modified screencap from the livestream as cover art, will posting the cover on the forum be valid? I think that would be pretty edgy.

I was looking back and can't see nor remember ever saying posting footage or images of the massacre would be invalid or whatever. rms said he shouldn't post it, I just said anybody watching it is probably a piece of shit.

Difference is I just won't click on it, he can post whatever he wants. As to your hypothetical, it would be edgy due to the context. It's not just an image of murder, it's political. Not really comparable to an anime drawing of snuff hentai or whatever.

Much of the Great Plains is underwater and has been for days. I've been looking for a single story in the @nytimes or @washingtonpost reported from west of Chicago. Nothing. This is Nebraska.

Historic ‘bomb cyclone’ sets off severe storms, flooding, and a ‘dangerous’ blizzard in Plains and Midwest

Meanwhile, heavy rainfall could lead to flooding from Kansas through the western Great Lakes. The Weather Service warned of “prolonged, major flooding” along the Missouri River and its tributaries Wednesday and Wednesday night. It said the combination of downpours and rapid snowmelt would probably elevate the river to major flood stage, not cresting until some time after the rain ends.

Heavy rain + snow melt + thawing ground = flooding. Vermillion is in South Dakota.

Today’s rain is flooding ditches/land near Vermillion. #KELONews #kelowx

In eastern South Dakota, Iowa, southern and eastern Minnesota and much of Wisconsin, ice jams were expected on rivers because of the combination of rain, melting snow and thawing temperatures.

The Weather Service office serving Green Bay also warned that the periodic rains falling on a dense snowpack “will add weight to [snow-covered roofs], possibly leading to structural damage.”

Record-High Floods in Nebraska Breach Levees and Isolate Towns

Several areas in the Midwest experienced record flooding this past week, with high water on Saturday causing more levee breaches on the Missouri River, prompting widespread evacuations and isolating neighborhoods and towns.

Record-high river levels were reported in at least 38 locations in the Midwest, particularly in Nebraska and Iowa, said Jonathan Erdman, a senior meteorologist with weather.com. Heavy flooding was also reported in Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota, and the National Weather Service said it would continue past the weekend.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd

Yeah, you can read in the comments and you have multiple people saying "look, I googled for information about it and found articles". That's not how we learn initially about events. 95+% of Americans get their news from top headlines and TV clips. You have to know something is happening to start googling for more information.

Then there's the timing of the tweet vs headlines. I can't see the date on the wapo because of their paywall (guessing the 13th from the link), but I can on the NYT. It's the same date as the tweet, and the tweet was at 7:10AM and the article was at like 11PM if Google is accurate. Not that it's because of this tweet, but I can find multiple variants of the same article all coming out in the last ~12-18 hours across media outlets. Having a hard time trying to find exact dates where the flooding started, this suggests it was bad already on Wednesday:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...lood-risk-in-upper-midwest-this-week/70007663

Also, if you look at the main pages, it's not leading news at all, which makes no sense unless you don't give two shits about the tragedy and horrors of fellow countrymen and instead are excited about mob boss killer trials (CNN) and the NZ attacks (NYT). If you scroll 2/3 of the way down the NYT page, you can find the one little entry for it. Web user data says that few scroll that far even for actual content. Likely less for "headlines". Yes, that entry is top under "US", but why wouldn't that be the top on the main page as well?

Yeah, you can read in the comments and you have multiple people saying "look, I googled for information about it and found articles". That's not how we learn initially about events. 95+% of Americans get their news from top headlines and TV clips. You have to know something is happening to start googling for more information.

Then there's the timing of the tweet vs headlines. I can't see the date on the wapo because of their paywall (guessing the 13th from the link), but I can on the NYT. It's the same date as the tweet, and the tweet was at 7:10AM and the article was at like 11PM if Google is accurate. Not that it's because of this tweet, but I can find multiple variants of the same article all coming out in the last ~12-18 hours across media outlets. Having a hard time trying to find exact dates where the flooding started, this suggests it was bad already on Wednesday:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...lood-risk-in-upper-midwest-this-week/70007663

Also, if you look at the main pages, it's not leading news at all, which makes no sense unless you don't give two shits about the tragedy and horrors of fellow countrymen and instead are excited about mob boss killer trials (CNN) and the NZ attacks (NYT). If you scroll 2/3 of the way down the NYT page, you can find the one little entry for it. Web user data says that few scroll that far even for actual content. Likely less for "headlines". Yes, that entry is top under "US", but why wouldn't that be the top on the main page as well?

WaPo is from the 13th.

I’m not interested in debating conspiracy theories about media bias (whether NYT only posted their article because they saw a tweet from some goober). You spew more and more inane bullshit like this and your “Muslims aren’t compatible with modern western values” post. All I’m interested in is that you posted a tweet that is demonstrably misleading and misinformed.

WaPo is from the 13th.

I’m not interested in debating conspiracy theories about media bias (whether NYT only posted their article because they saw a tweet from some goober). You spew more and more inane bullshit like this and your “Muslims aren’t compatible with modern western values” post. All I’m interested in is that you posted a tweet that is demonstrably misleading and misinformed.

Lol there's no conspiracy. You read what you want to. I'm pointing at the timing saying you can't use articles after a tweet as evidence the tweet is wrong.

Islam is only compatible with current Western values of capitulation. It's not inane bullshit, it's 1000 years of history.

Lol there's no conspiracy. You read what you want to. I'm pointing at the timing saying you can't use articles after a tweet as evidence the tweet is wrong.

He suggests the NYT won't report on Nebraska, and lo and behold... they report. And the WaPo tweet is from last Wednesday! :rofl:

It's tedious that you perpetuate this shit.

Islam is only compatible with current Western values of capitulation. It's not inane bullshit, it's 1000 years of history.

:rolleyes: I think you're incompatible with modern Western values.

Last edited:
He suggests the NYT won't report on Nebraska, and lo and behold... they report.

It's tedious that you perpetuate this shit.

Yes. Buried. And the article you linked was 3-4 days late (although there were other, earlier articles). Maybe you read tweets in isolation, but I read comment threads, and it was clear there was reporting. That's not the ultimate point, it's that there's no reporting anyone is going to see without looking for it. It's the same problem with backpage retractions: plausible deniability with no actual impact on the majority of people's knowledge/impressions.

The top 4 out of 5 headlines on the NYT homepage at this second are international headlines rather than US news (2 out of 5 if you count the Boeing issue as concerning US fliers as well). Why is Saudi intrigue in killing Kashoggi more important than multi-state Midwestern flooding? Can't imagine why Midwesterners might not think the NYT and it's readership doesn't give a damn about them.

:rolleyes: I think you're incompatible with modern Western values.

Well, if ignorance and capitulation are what you are referring to, apparently I am. I can imagine you have known some nice Muslims. So have I. Guess you're fine with "some are nice people" as rigorous analysis in some cases.

That's not the ultimate point

That was his ultimate point. You can try to salvage it all you want, you're just being a stubborn mule.

Well, if ignorance and capitulation are what you are referring to, apparently I am. I can imagine you have known some nice Muslims. So have I. Guess you're fine with "some are nice people" as rigorous analysis in some cases.

What do you hope to get out of this conversation? What reasons do you have for wanting this to continue? I have a feeling you already know what I'll say to your comments. Why keep delaying the inevitable? Why tag me in your earlier post? Are you just bored?

I'm not enjoying this, and I don't enjoy talking to you about it. So why should we go on?

That was his ultimate point. You can try to salvage it all you want, you're just being a stubborn mule.

Forest for a tree man, forest for a tree.

I have a feeling you already know what I'll say to your comments.

Because it's the accepted sentiments parroted all over the place. I hear them all the time from media, university speakers, etc. As far as to my being bored eh, I was working on some paint projects and have to wait for paint to dry at times, so you could say so.

You have plenty of interesting things to say on literature (even if I disagree with things said) and interesting things to say about tech. That interestingness goes away on sociopolitical matters. I'm sure you'd say the same for me, but I think if you started lining up my policy preferences and/or ideals and support you'd find a general lack of overlap with Fox News or whatever you want as a proxy for conservatards. They just aren't a vocal minority on here to address so I don't address them.

The urban/rural divide, and more specifically, the white (hyper)urban elitist vs the working class/Middle American (of all races) is a point of overlap with the average Trump voter anyway (as a proxy), and I think that's generally what you respond against the strongest because you identify with the former cadre.