The News Thread

I hope you guys elect Hasek so buffalo can be proud of something

How do you even know about this? He just mentioned it in some interview afaik.

Didn't realize the festival was so large, with almost 100k attendees. At 4 deaths per 100k, a garlic festival could have a similar shooting every day and it'd still be several times safer than totally-not-crime-infested Baltimore.

Let's not forget that garlic repels vampires so in case of a vampire zombiepocalypse, garlic festival is the place to be.

Reactions: EternalMetal
I just don't accept that mass shootings are particularly significant to our violent crime rate overall

They are particularly significant to anti-gunners pushing their agenda though

nor that police can sufficiently protect a disarmed

Additionally, federal courts have ruled that LEOs have no obligation to protect citizens so it's on you and me to protect people I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Don't understand the conundrum. Are you saying that strict gun laws in California were responsible for the relatively low body count compared to the gun homicide rate of many other American cities?

I accept the general argument that strict gun controls reduce mass shootings btw. I just don't accept that mass shootings are particularly significant to our violent crime rate overall, nor that police can sufficiently protect a disarmed populace.

It wasn't a very precise comment. I wasn't specifically saying that stricter gun laws are responsible for the lower body count, only pointing out the fact that a place with the strictest gun laws in the country is safer than Baltimore. Of course, Baltimore's not really a fair comparison when we're discussing the experience of feeling safe in a place. You don't want to live somewhere the mayor says "Well, at least it's not as bad as Baltimore!"

And Maryland has its own strict gun laws, but these tend not to make their way into places where crime is a dimension of life. I know that criminals find their way around regulations; but that's also part of the reason I believe stricter federal regulations are in order. As of right now, all people have to do is strike a deal with someone in a gun-friendly state.

And I agree that stricter gun laws alone won't reduce the violent crime rate overall; but they will reduce the amount of damage caused by individual incidents.

Are you familiar with CharlieBo313 on Youtube? He just drives around random areas and gets footage.

Looks like the set of a dystopian movie at times. He has a whole bunch of Baltimore.

I haven't until now but that footage looks like every other inner city run by a Democratic mayor. Makes sense.

Haha, you deleted/edited that post pretty quick son.

Prove that

Do you really want to assume the position that there are major metropolitan areas that have no risky neighborhoods?

Again, prove that

Well, that would be proving a negative. It should actually fall to you to prove that it is only a democratic issue. In order to bust that theory wide open, all I'd have to do is find one republican-run city that has crime and violent neighborhoods.

I mean, cities exist that aren't major population centers. I live in a city that is within the city of Cincinnati. If you're assuming that major population centers (ie, a population of something like 50k+) are going to have bad areas, then sure because the law of large numbers says it is more likely to be the case. If the city is a smaller population, it may not be the case.

I would amend and say inner cities with major crime problems tend to have Democratic leadership in recent history (ie: Detroit, Baltimore, Chitown and even Cincinnati has had a spike recently)

I mean, cities exist that aren't major population centers. I live in a city that is within the city of Cincinnati. If you're assuming that major population centers (ie, a population of something like 50k+) are going to have bad areas, then sure because the law of large numbers says it is more likely to be the case. If the city is a smaller population, it may not be the case.

Then is it safe to say that your critique doesn't extend to smaller cities with democratic leadership? In which case, we'd only be discussing larger cities. Some of the safest smaller cities in the U.S. have democratic leadership.

Other cities have mayors who aren't affiliated with the democratic or republican party, as elections along party lines happen less when you get to lower levels of government.

I would amend and say inner cities with major crime problems tend to have Democratic leadership in recent history (ie: Detroit, Baltimore, Chitown and even Cincinnati has had a spike recently)

Fine, but this is a correlation and not a causation. Many larger cities (i.e. cities large enough to have "inner cities") have had crime issues that precede their democratic leadership, and in some cases crime has been worse under republican leadership than under democratic. I don't think democratic leaders necessarily have the interests of poor neighborhoods in mind, but it's absurd to trace the root cause of violence in American cities to democratic leadership.

Then is it safe to say that your critique doesn't extend to smaller cities with democratic leadership? In which case, we'd only be discussing larger cities. Some of the safest smaller cities in the U.S. have democratic leadership.

Fine, but this is a correlation and not a causation. Many larger cities (i.e. cities large enough to have "inner cities") have had crime issues that precede their democratic leadership, and in some cases crime has been worse under republican leadership than under democratic. I don't think democratic leaders necessarily have the interests of poor neighborhoods in mind, but it's absurd to trace the root cause of violence in American cities to democratic leadership.

Here's a list from CBS from some time within the last 2-3 years. Top ten most violent cities:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/32/

1. St Louis: Democratic mayor since 1949.
2. Detroit. Democratic mayor since 1962.
3. Baltimore: Democratic mayor since 1947, with a 4 year break from '63-'67.
4. Memphis: Democratic mayor since 1991.
5. Little Rock: Democratic mayor at least back to 1979, hard to track back farther than that.
6. Milwaukee: Democratic mayor since 1960.
7. Rockford(Ill.): Dem mayor at least back to 1989 (difficult to see farther), although a break for an "independent" from '05-'17. Current mayor Dem.
8. Cleveland: Democratic mayors going back to 1942, with a break from '72-'77 and '80-'89 for Republicans.
9. Stockton: Mix.
10. Albuquerque. Current Dem mayor, Repub mayor from 2009-2017, and then all Dem going back to 1985.

Finding a "Republican run" city at a given year that "has crime" isn't even close to meeting the example of places like Baltimore.

Sure, correlation might not be causation. Wonder what a possible mediating variable is between electing Democratic leadership for a generation or more, and high crime, in major cities?

There are numerous reasons why major cities elect democratic mayors, and the violence tends to predate those elections. Historically speaking, neither democratic nor republican leadership has been effective at curbing urban violence. It's fake news to say that democratic leadership is to blame because "contemporary stats."

There are numerous reasons why major cities elect democratic mayors, and the violence tends to predate those elections. Historically speaking, neither democratic nor republican leadership has been effective at curbing urban violence. It's fake news to say that democratic leadership is to blame because "contemporary stats."

The violence predated the 40s? The 60s? If so, why? While it's true that electing a Republican tomorrow wouldn't fix these cities, why haven't (nearly) unbroken generation(s) of Democratic mayors been unable to stem or reverse the tide? Why do they continue to be elected against all evidence of effectiveness?

Not being able to fix things isn't an indicator that democratic leadership is causing them.

They continue to be elected for largely partisan reasons spurred on as much by democrats as by republicans. It doesn't help when Trump irresponsibly takes to twitter.

Not being able to fix things isn't an indicator that democratic leadership is causing them.

They continue to be elected for largely partisan reasons spurred on as much by democrats as by republicans. It doesn't help when Trump irresponsibly takes to twitter.

It doesn't mean they are "causing" them but it means that we have decades of evidence of incompetence at best. Which voters in those cities fail to either understand or care about. Probably a mix of both.
"Spurred on as much by Republicans." :tickled:

When you have a media and an electorate that rallies around pointing out the literal rats as racist, you can't blame Trump for the rats or those that are willing to live with them in the name of "partisanship."

you can't blame Trump

willy-wonka-scarcasm-oh-really-meme.jpg