The News Thread

He's partly responsible, yes. We currently have a racist president. I don't happen to think his comments about Baltimore were particularly racist, but his track record speaks for itself. He supported the imprisonment of five black men even after DNA evidence exonerated them. He thinks AOC came to America from another country because she doesn't look like a WASP. The guy's a racist, even if his Baltimore comments aren't part of the more compelling evidence.

He's president now, and his statements are some of the most divisive being said today. I'm okay with putting some of the blame on him.

"I don't like some things he said even though he's appointed non-whites to positions, and therefore he's responsible for the fact that Baltimore, an American shithole, is going to elect another Democrat in the next mayoral election, just like the last 50+ years."

Like I said, do you parkour?

Reactions: CiG
"I don't like some things he said even though he's appointed non-whites to positions

Doesn't make one not-racist. But you know that. Or rather, you know I would say that--but it's just leftist bullshit...

and therefore he's responsible for the fact that Baltimore, an American shithole, is going to elect another Democrat in the next mayoral election, just like the last 50+ years."

Yeah, maybe he is.

You've reminded me in the past that non-educated conservatives don't like to be lectured to by academic leftists about their socioeconomic situation, even if academic leftists might have something helpful to say about the plight of the rural poor. By that same token, inner city minorities may not like to be called rats in a shithole, even if such colorful, metaphoric language happens to express some dimension of truth.

If progressive and academics need to refine how they communicate with those across the aisle, then so does Trump.

Doesn't make one not-racist. But you know that. Or rather, you know I would say that--but it's just leftist bullshit...
Yeah, maybe he is.

Trump is likely racist. But he's not a hood wearing KKK member. Being a racist could likely be something considered to be on a spectrum, like most things. But not on a zero-to-none spectrum, but rather on an enabler-dis-enablder spectrum. One would want to be in the middle of that spectrum, not on the extremes. The extremes would have a "horse-shoe" shape.

You've reminded me in the past that non-educated conservatives don't like to be lectured to by academic leftists about their socioeconomic situation, even if academic leftists might have something helpful to say about the plight of the rural poor. By that same token, inner city minorities may not like to be called rats in a shithole, even if such colorful, metaphoric language happens to express some dimension of truth.

If progressive and academics need to refine how they communicate with those across the aisle, then so does Trump.

Reaching across the aisle requires good faith. There hasn't been good faith among federal politicians in our lifetimes Ein. You and I can't even agree on reality in many important cases.

Shitty Democratic politicians get elected/re-elected on the back of fearmongering about Trump, therefore it's Trump's fault that people in shitholes don't break the Democratic cycle of shitty management of said shitholes. Sounds about right. :tickled:

low bar these days lol

Lower than lynching and segregation? Yeah, I suppose it’s not that bad anymore...

Trump is likely racist. But he's not a hood wearing KKK member. Being a racist could likely be something considered to be on a spectrum, like most things. But not on a zero-to-none spectrum, but rather on an enabler-dis-enablder spectrum. One would want to be in the middle of that spectrum, not on the extremes. The extremes would have a "horse-shoe" shape.

Reaching across the aisle requires good faith. There hasn't been good faith among federal politicians in our lifetimes Ein. You and I can't even agree on reality in many important cases.

I don’t think this is true. I think we saw good faith as recently as Obama’s term (from republicans, no less).

Shitty Democratic politicians get elected/re-elected on the back of fearmongering about Trump, therefore it's Trump's fault that people in shitholes don't break the Democratic cycle of shitty management of said shitholes. Sounds about right. :tickled:

Fault isn’t absolute, i.e. it can be the fault of multiple parties.

States have a lot of leeway when it comes to their ballots. California already has a system where only the top two candidates are placed on the ballot for US senator, which means that Kamala Harris' only opposition was another (even further-left) Democrat. More historically, California didn't allow Taft on the ballot in 1912, which allowed Teddy to beat Wilson by a hair in that state.

With the 5-4 Republican-favored Supreme Court maybe they'll still declare it unconstitutional (though personally I hope they don't), and honestly I think it's only a boon for Trump. He has zero chance of ever winning California even if Biden wins the nomination and is later charged as a serial child molester, so it doesn't hurt Trump's election chances, but it also gives Trump great talking points about how crazy leftist Cali is anti-democracy, and about how he totally would've won the popular vote in California if only his name was on the ballot.

Reactions: CiG and Dak
Reactions: Einherjar86