The News Thread

Brown went after cop while he was in his car, gun goes off in the car, Officer Wilson exits car, Brown gets shot while charging officer Wilson, blood/casings/most physical evidence backs up Officer Wilson's story. Totally reasonable to throw this case out.

Brown was not shot over the cigars. He was shot because he assaulted an officer within that officer's car, after which Brown attempted to get that officer's gun, then charged that officer after the officer got out to give chase.

It doesn't add up. Police must have ways to subdue opposition without killing them. I would be more worried about the police killing me than anyone else.

If police have free rein to kill opposition, that's terrifying. I was already scared of excessive police force, and this makes things worse. I'm honestly more scared of the police killing me than any other element.

Mathiäs;10938423 said:
I think that they shouldn't have even given it to a grand jury. But even so, an indictment would've prevented all the rioting (probably), and the court case would've come to the same conclusion most likely
Doesn't it have to go to a grand jury before a petit jury?

Brown went after cop while he was in his car, gun goes off in the car, Officer Wilson exits car, Brown gets shot while charging officer Wilson, blood/casings/most physical evidence backs up Officer Wilson's story. Totally reasonable to throw this case out.

Brown was not shot over the cigars. He was shot because he assaulted an officer within that officer's car, after which Brown attempted to get that officer's gun, then charged that officer after the officer got out to give chase.

This is very easy to stage.

The point, however, isn't whether or not the evidence supports Wilson's story. The point, in this case, is that the prosecutor went about going after the indictment in an incredibly unusual way - no tactics, no rhetorical presentation; he just put the evidence out there for the jury to navigate and interpret.

This is an odd method to use when going after an indictment, and it suggests that (or rather, it looks like) the prosecutor wasn't interested in actually getting an indictment.

As an outsider this seems weird and probably irrational.

Because police in other countries don't seem to resort to brute force to resolve a conflict.

I'm all for body cameras for every single law enforcement officer on the streets. It's time to police the police.

Although, if it had been a black cop shooting a white dude in the same circumstances, would anyone have cared? Would the media have even reported it?

Oh look another thug fucked with someone with a gun and is dead because of it and everybody's backside is in flames.

Body cameras are as likely to "malfunction" as dash cams have had a tendency to do. Or the recording gets "lost". Or regardless of the evidence, everyone defers to the "professional/expert decision making in the moment" or whatever of the police. Policing the police is a nice thought, but until there are some sort of fundamental changes in the way people perceive police and in how police perceive themselves, I don't know how much "police policing" will accomplish.

Whether or not the situation surrounding Brown was legitimate, I have no sympathy for rioters getting shot.

Depends on the particulars of the case (which I don't know offhand). I'm pre-disposed to be anticop, but from what I understand the dude was also involved in a documented, immoral incident. That he deserved death isn't certain, but you cannot be absolutely sure of the effect of a fired bullet either. Certainly not a pleasant case.

He stole a cigar, or cigars, and i'm pretty sure he was shot like 5 times?

It's maddening that people think that Brown was just some innocent little guy shot for no reason by some mean police officer and how this has turned into a race-baiter's dream.

Also, I don't understand what those protesters think they're accomplishing by rioting and burning innocent people's buildings to the ground. How does that help their "cause"? Doesn't make any sense...

Re: Rioting. Goddamn stupid, and I would even say childish except for the reality of gross destruction places it far beyond a parallel with a child throwing a tantrum.

Doesn't it have to go to a grand jury before a petit jury?

I am pretty sure the DA could have investigated it instead. That was what the local analyst people were saying, anyway.

Because police in other countries don't seem to resort to brute force to resolve a conflict.

I'm all for body cameras for every single law enforcement officer on the streets. It's time to police the police.

Agreed. Police have too much power and too many legal protections afforded to them when they fuck up.

1) The decision/outcome sounds plausible. I just wonder why he attacked the cop IN HIS CAR for telling them to get out of the road. Something doesn't add up, one way or the other.

2) Surely the grand jury was involved because the prosecution saw it as a way to pad the (what he saw) as the inevitable no-trial. Not necessarily to protect himself or shed responsibility, but 12 people coming to a decision has more legitimacy, especially in a tense racially charged situation like this.

3) Yes, police do need cameras. For the benefit of the population (to control triggerhappy cops) and for the cops (to have video proof for just cause when they NEED to shoot)

4) Why is this getting more drama than the Trayvon Martin case? This case, while definitely not 100% leans MUCH more in favor of the cop. The Zimmerman/Martin altercation has much more grey area and fault on the part of Zimmerman...

Oh look another thug fucked with someone with a gun and is dead because of it and everybody's backside is in flames.

Pretty much.

"Oh but they have less-than-lethal devices"
Doesn't matter. Attacking anyone that has the right to use lethal force when they feel their life is in danger is fucking retarded.

Just because cars have brakes doesn't mean that anyone that runs out into traffic doesn't deserve to be hit.

I don't want to sound condescending because I like debating these kinds of things; but a lot of you guys are not thinking this through.

"Attacking anyone that has the right to use lethal force when they feel their life is in danger is fucking retarded."

This is an incredibly dangerous position to hold; it basically concedes that police can do anything because challenging their actions is "retarded."

Furthermore, police should not have the unquestionable right to use lethal force. This is one of the most ridiculous concepts in our culture, along with the fact that many people still assume that all police are upstanding, intelligent, and judicious wielders of the power they possess. If police officers do have a right to use lethal force, then every other individual should possess that same right; setting it aside for law enforcement is the retarded position.

Finally, that which constitutes potentially violent, or dangerous, action between a police officer (in possession of a firearm, with the support of the political machine behind him/her) and an unarmed black is by no means an easily discernible fact. There are social conditions and expectations that complicate the matter far beyond the bare minimum of two individuals facing one another.