The News Thread

Texas AG Says Trump Would've 'Lost' State If It Hadn't Blocked Mail-in Ballots Applications Being Sent Out.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a Republican, said former President Donald Trump would have lost in Texas in the 2020 election if his office had not successfully blocked counties from mailing out applications for mail-in ballots to all registered voters.

Harris County, home to the city of Houston, wanted to mail out applications for mail-in ballots to its approximately 2.4 million registered voters due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the conservative Texas Supreme Court blocked the county from doing so after it faced litigation from Paxton's office.

"If we'd lost Harris County—Trump won by 620,000 votes in Texas. Harris County mail-in ballots that they wanted to send out were 2.5 million, those were all illegal and we were able to stop every one of them," Paxton told former Trump adviser Steve Bannon during the latter's War Room podcast on Friday.

Texas was almost blue?

Reactions: zerostatic
I believe it. Austin, Dallas, and Houston all swing Democrat, I think. The image of Texas as a bastion of rural conservatism is more of a propaganda tool than an accurate representation.

At the risk of sounding conspiratorial, Trump should have lost the 2016 election by sheer population. Most of the country didn’t want him. His wealthy donors and the electoral college pushed him into office.

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
At the risk of sounding conspiratorial, Trump should have lost the 2016 election by sheer population. Most of the country didn’t want him. His wealthy donors and the electoral college pushed him into office.
Do you consider this a serious policy issue, or are you just venting about the electoral college? There's basically a 0% chance of it being changed to reflect the popular vote, since its composition is defined by the Constitution.

I voted against Trump in both elections, but personally I find all the outrage over the electoral college counterproductive at best and creepy at worst. After all the shit the Republicans pulled to try to overturn the election, seeing Democrats treat a non-starter like the electoral college as a serious issue (along with the widespread support for court packing) makes the left look eager to one-up the right in fascist stunts rather than de-escalate from 2020.

Do you consider this a serious policy issue, or are you just venting about the electoral college? There's basically a 0% chance of it being changed to reflect the popular vote, since its composition is defined by the Constitution.

I voted against Trump in both elections, but personally I find all the outrage over the electoral college counterproductive at best and creepy at worst. After all the shit the Republicans pulled to try to overturn the election, seeing Democrats treat a non-starter like the electoral college as a serious issue (along with the widespread support for court packing) makes the left look eager to one-up the right in fascist stunts rather than de-escalate from 2020.

This is a good question, and honestly I didn't mean for that comment to sound like I was venting about the electoral college. The whole "risk of conspiracy" remark was intended to downplay the sense that I was suggesting Trump "stole" the election in 2016 (in the sense that his supporters say Biden "stole" the 2020 election, or that GWB may have actually unintentionally stolen the election in 2000). I don't think he stole it at all; he won according to the legal parameters laid out by the electoral system. When I said he shouldn't have won, I wasn't making an evaluative statement that he shouldn't be in office (although I do believe he shouldn't have been in office, but that's for reasons other than electoral politics); I was using some rhetorical flourish to emphasize that Trump wasn't really as popular as some of his supporters would lead us to believe, especially those who insist that he actually won the 2020 election "by a landslide." There's simply no evidence for that kind of strong popularity; in fact, the evidence is that he's far less popular, as things like the Texas revelation suggest.

Funny thing is that 15-20 years ago nobody called it meth here. Even in news headlines everyone just called it P (standing for pure methamphetamine). A band even made a song about it called P.
what the fucking hell??
in USA there are lots of people who don't wanna say the word "meth"
but nobody here has ever called it "p"
because here refering to something as "p" would be PCP
https://www.google.com/search?q=pcp...175i199i395.2255j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

when people (in USA) don't wanna use the word "meth" the alternate word has changed several times over time

at first people in Texas said "crystal meth" because we had this kind of meth
crystal meth is named for its clear, crystalline-like appearance.
then people just took off the word "meth" and called it just "crystal"
which turned into a joke where people were saying "crystal" like it was Krystal, like saying they're "going on a date with Krystal" when they really meant, "i'm getting high on crystal meth tonight"

then we had P2P "crank" and "peanut butter dope" but none of these really had "shards"

then there was the shards of meth from Phoenix Arizona where the "crystal shards" looked like pieces of broken glass
so you had a short time of people in Arizona New Mexico and Nevada were calling meth "glass"

but then Texas got the meth where the shards looked like chunks of frozen water, so everyone started calling meth "ice" cuz of some of the "recipes" where you got dope that looked like small pieces of frozen water

then people started saying "i like ice-cream as a way of writing "i like crystal meth" in websites like or backpage
https://www.google.com/search?q=bac...5l3j0j0i395.6831j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

but then this got shortened to just "cream"

then came the dealers who sold the "shards" to smokers but the labs were making the dope with a whole lot lot more of "shake" (read this as "powder") where people started selling the white powder to the shooters (the powder dissolves into water quicker and easier than the shards)

but now you got dumb-ass people running labs where you actually have most of the dope coming out as powder instead of shards, and so now you got these dumb-ass dope-smokers buying the powder to smoke (instead of insisting on smoking shards) where you now have dumb-ass kids calling crystal meth "cream" because they are buying powdered meth that now actually kinda looks like powdered coffee creamer

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloopy
what the fucking hell??
in USA there are lots of people who don't wanna say the word "meth"
but nobody here has ever called it "p"
because here refering to something as "p" would be PCP
https://www.google.com/search?q=pcp...175i199i395.2255j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

when people (in USA) don't wanna use the word "meth" the alternate word has changed several times over time

at first people in Texas said "crystal meth" because we had this kind of meth

then people just took off the word "meth" and called it just "crystal"
which turned into a joke where people were saying "crystal" like it was Krystal, like saying they're "going on a date with Krystal" when they really meant, "i'm getting high on crystal meth tonight"

then we had P2P "crank" and "peanut butter dope" but none of these really had "shards"

then there was the shards of meth from Phoenix Arizona where the "crystal shards" looked like pieces of broken glass
so you had a short time of people in Arizona New Mexico and Nevada were calling meth "glass"

but then Texas got the meth where the shards looked like chunks of frozen water, so everyone started calling meth "ice" cuz of some of the "recipes" where you got dope that looked like small pieces of frozen water

then people started saying "i like ice-cream as a way of writing "i like crystal meth" in websites like or backpage
https://www.google.com/search?q=bac...5l3j0j0i395.6831j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

but then this got shortened to just "cream"

then came the dealers who sold the "shards" to smokers but the labs were making the dope with a whole lot lot more of "shake" (read this as "powder") where people started selling the white powder to the shooters (the powder dissolves into water quicker and easier than the shards)

but now you got dumb-ass people running labs where you actually have most of the dope coming out as powder instead of shards, and so now you got these dumb-ass dope-smokers buying the powder to smoke (instead of insisting on smoking shards) where you now have dumb-ass kids calling crystal meth "cream" because they are buying powdered meth that now actually kinda looks like powdered coffee creamer
do you jack off a lot on meth?