The News Thread

Yeah I agree.

I think these are the death throes of US Christian nationalism though. Apparently Trump has said in private that overturning Roe v Wade is actually bad for the Republican Party because of how it will track with suburban women (one of his strongest blocks in 2016).

Maybe I've just become much more optimistic lately, but I think this is the kinda shit that a) fires up the opposition and b) makes Republicans look unhinged and unelectable going forward.

First I'm reading about Trump's comment--just looked it up.

I don't disagree that opposition is fired up over it (I'm one of them); and I also really hope Christian nationalism is on the decline. But knowing the popularity and appeal of radical pastors like Greg Locke, who's a fucking nutcase, I can't help but wonder.

I've also never been totally sold on the Trump-as-master-strategizer argument. I think his smarts are more instinctual than organizational, so I don't know how to take the comment. But interesting that he said it.

Reactions: CiG
I don't think Trump is very strategic either (although he is self-aware enough to know which parts of himself to suppress in favour of views more overtly far-right or conservative) but what I think his comments in private speak to are some doubts over the efficacy of more radical moves like outlawing abortion.

As it is, without the electoral college the GOP would be fucked. Shrinking their voter base even slightly is a life and death concern for the party.

Reactions: Einherjar86
In the context of the recent decision concerning guns, one might get the impression that to some people, the protection of unborn life is more important than the protection of born life. I also wonder how many of those who are strictly against abortion also are against sex education at schools in general or if it goes beyond abstinence-only.

And considering that Trump said that "God made the decision", could he be now sued for blasphemy, because he still claims he won the election even though the very Supreme Court also rejected all his election challenge cases?

In the context of the recent decision concerning guns, one might get the impression that to some people, the protection of unborn life is more important than the protection of born life.

I think that's basically right. If the anti-abortion fanatics had their way, this country would flood with homegrown babies without the social or political infrastructure to protect them.

I still can't get over Alito's phrasing, a "domestic supply of infants." How much more explicit can they get?

Also, this happened:

Rep. Mary Miller said that “on behalf of the MAGA patriots in America,” she wanted to thank Trump “for the historic victory for white life in the Supreme Court.”

A spokesperson said she meant to say “right to life” but misspoke.

Maybe she did misspeak; but that's not the kind of thing you accidentally say and then think "meh, I don't need to correct myself."

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
8c22166e-a494-4609-8a8b-e829eeab7d8b.gif

the chicago shooter lol

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1021455175179934

Last edited:
Reactions: Einherjar86

Holy shit. It's been ages since I used to enjoy his Jungian analysis of pop culture (Disney, Harry Potter etc), so maybe I'm just very behind, but this dude has lost his mind. Also what's up with how sesquipedalian (lol) his fucking script is?

"The Tower of Babel"? More like babble. Jesus fuck. Sorry not really news...

Holy shit. It's been ages since I used to enjoy his Jungian analysis of pop culture (Disney, Harry Potter etc), so maybe I'm just very behind, but this dude has lost his mind. Also what's up with how sesquipedalian (lol) his fucking script is?

"The Tower of Babel"? More like babble. Jesus fuck. Sorry not really news...

Guy's a hack who makes ultra-MAGA feel like there's an intellectual foundation to their fear.