The News Thread

because someone they dislike is in the office.

I wouldn't even use the term 'dislike' because plenty of people on the left 'disliked' people like McCain. It's the fact that it's inconceivable someone like him was voted into office and they just want to go back to people they 'dislike' less if that makes sense. Trump honestly hasn't been that bad. He's been like most Presidents in office in that they pander to their base and then do things opposite from what they said they would do. It's just that so many of his 'base' is still supporting him that people on the other side are worrying.

Reactions: Matt
Which they won't. I figured that out after I commented haha. Never realised just how little I actually knew about the impeachment process until today.

Yeah, I forgot how many Senators needed to vote to remove him from office. Since two thirds (67) need to vote to remove him, that would mean around 20 senators would need to be turncoats. Won't happen. If it were a simple majority, I would be more worried.

Reactions: Dak and CiG
I wouldn't use the term happy. He's been better than feared, but worse than preferable. Of course, there are more objective standards and then there is the question of "performance relative to the alternative". If I must consider him relative to HC, he's the second coming of George Washington.

What I have enjoyed on some level is the TDS. Conservatives didn't like Obama and had a couple of conspiracy theories, one of them benign (he's a Muslim!1!!1!!), and were mocked for this by a crowd that is now in complete detachment from a subset of reality because someone they dislike is in the office.

I mean - to me, it looks like Trump is facilitating the total erosion of our system. I also view him as a traitor; how can you justify inviting foreign election interference for his political benefit?

I wouldn't even use the term 'dislike' because plenty of people on the left 'disliked' people like McCain. It's the fact that it's inconceivable someone like him was voted into office and they just want to go back to people they 'dislike' less if that makes sense. Trump honestly hasn't been that bad. He's been like most Presidents in office in that they pander to their base and then do things opposite from what they said they would do. It's just that so many of his 'base' is still supporting him that people on the other side are worrying.

To me he's the worst president in my lifetime by far. He seems to stand against everything I believe in and seems intent on using his office for personal gain regardless of the ramifications. The allegations against him can't be refuted either; to me the impeachment vote was totally warranted. If he had nothing to hide and believe that witnesses would exonerate him or somehow help him, why would he block them all from testifying? Not exactly indicative of someone that isn't guilty.

how can you justify inviting foreign election interference for his political benefit?

Implying that the US hasn't been doing this for years with other countries' elections. I don't buy that what Trump did was reprehensible. To me, it is par for the course in the current realm of geopolitics.

to me the impeachment vote was totally warranted

If putting ketchup on steak counts as an impeachable offense, sure, because that's the only thing he is done that could be considered morally reprehensible in the realm of Presidential conduct. I don't understand how anything he has done is worse than sending kids into an unwinnable war and lying about it for years or conducting drone strikes against American citizens without due process

I mean - to me, it looks like Trump is facilitating the total erosion of our system. I also view him as a traitor; how can you justify inviting foreign election interference for his political benefit?

To me he's the worst president in my lifetime by far. He seems to stand against everything I believe in and seems intent on using his office for personal gain regardless of the ramifications. The allegations against him can't be refuted either; to me the impeachment vote was totally warranted. If he had nothing to hide and believe that witnesses would exonerate him or somehow help him, why would he block them all from testifying? Not exactly indicative of someone that isn't guilty.

This is hilarious to me, I'm sorry. Please provide me even like uh, 3 links to support the following assertions:

1. Solicited foreign election interference
2. Used the office for personal gain
3. He blocked witnesses from testifying(from impeachment hearings? something else?)

Bonus Question: What qualifies as "eroding 'the system'"?

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
He has used the office for personal gain. He admitted as much when he said that aid was sent to Ukraine after asking them to investigate Biden. Saying it was a pleasant conversation and that there was "no quid pro quo" doesn't make it so. He committed blackmail at the international level. It's as simple as that.

It's hilarious to me that more people aren't upset about this. It's purely because a large number of people believe that making libtards cry is more important than enforcing a set of legal/ethical regulations on the highest office in the country.

I don't care if people think all presidents do this, or that a democrat would have done the same. Trump did, and he got caught. All that's left to see now is whether that even matters. And if it doesn't, then fuck it.

For me, there's a single issue--more than any other--that makes Trump unelectable, although not impeachable; and that's his pledge to pull us out of the Paris Agreement. He's a climate denier who specializes in bullshit artistry, and he deserves to go.

He has used the office for personal gain. He admitted as much when he said that aid was sent to Ukraine after asking them to investigate Biden. Saying it was a pleasant conversation and that there was "no quid pro quo" doesn't make it so. He committed blackmail at the international level. It's as simple as that.

It's hilarious to me that more people aren't upset about this. It's purely because a large number of people believe that making libtards cry is more important than enforcing a set of legal/ethical regulations on the highest office in the country.

I don't care if people think all presidents do this, or that a democrat would have done the same. Trump did, and he got caught. All that's left to see now is whether that even matters. And if it doesn't, then fuck it.

For me, there's a single issue--more than any other--that makes Trump unelectable, although not impeachable; and that's his pledge to pull us out of the Paris Agreement. He's a climate denier who specializes in bullshit artistry, and he deserves to go.

How does Trump personally gain from Biden/Biden's son being investigated for illicit conduct? How is Foreign Aid being redacted in response to potential criminal facilitation "quid pro quo"? It's hilarious to me that you think A. this is blackmail and B. people should be upset. and C. you defended Hillary on actual violations of law re:emails. Trump says many stupid things, and many things stupidly, but these claims are all emblematic of TDS.

I notice no one on this forum is talking about the Afghanistan papers. GWB and Rumsfeld and the crew should all be in irons along with Obama and HC for Libya. Everyone talking about Trump though*. So "woke".

Reactions: The Ozzman and CiG
How does Trump personally gain from Biden/Biden's son being investigated for illicit conduct? How is Foreign Aid being redacted in response to potential criminal facilitation "quid pro quo"? It's hilarious to me that you think A. this is blackmail and B. people should be upset. and C. you defended Hillary on actual violations of law re:emails. Trump says many stupid things, and many things stupidly, but these claims are all emblematic of TDS.

It's not TDS. You and others often appeal to facts, and the facts couldn't be any clearer in this case. He gains personally by removing the front-runner from the competition. He doesn't care about corruption, he just wants Biden ineligible for the presidency. The deal was for Ukraine to investigate (or commit to investigating) the dealings that Biden was supposedly involved in before the US would provide aid. That's a quid pro quo.

Last edited:
It's not TDS. You and others often appeal to facts, and the facts couldn't be any clearer in this case. He gains personally by removing the front-runner from the competition. He doesn't care about corruption, he just wants Biden gone. The deal was for Ukraine to investigate the dealings that Biden was supposedly involved in before the US would provide aid. That's a quid pro quo.

What? None of what you said accurately describes the situation other than maybe the Ukraine not receiving aid prior to investigation. Foreign aid is not a right. I'm for all foreign aid being ended so any reason is a pro in the regard. But my preferences aside, the investigation didn't happen and the aid wasn't stopped, so there was no "quid pro quo", even by your standard. And why would Trump want Biden gone? Ol Cornpop? Ol Rublegs and Roaches? Ol Fondlekids? Ol.....

qchiigunrglnmqfpwqmg.jpg

:rofl: Yeah. Trump is shaking in his boots from this challenger. Tulsi could challenge Trump. Not this demented pervert.

Biden is challenging Trump. Deny it all you want, it doesn't change anything. I don't want Biden as president, but he's no "demented pervert" (unlike our current president). Your personal distaste toward him doesn't change the fact that he's a contender--much like my personal distaste for Trump doesn't change the fact that he's a force to be reckoned with.

As far as the situation goes, you're correct--foreign aid isn't a right. And the US isn't obliged to provide aid; but the US president can't use that aid as leverage to better his chances in a political race.