The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

Who hasnt heard it, here it is:

Its some kind of a...i dont know Pop Song?
Completely Different from COB, but as long as Hennka has fun.

The style of music wasn't that big of a surprise because I have listened to the bands that the other members of Moon Shot played in, but it does feel weird that Henkka joined them...
Maybe it's kind of "I get to play live and it's fun and not so serious as COB" sorta thing?
I liked the song but I'm not surprised that a lot of people didn't. The chorus is kinda annoying though. And this kind of music isn't as interesting because the lyrics and the visual parts are so idk boring? So "easily approachable"? It isn't bad I just don't find it as interesting as metal. I had my emo/90s rock/pop punk times back in the day and Moon Shot does give me major flashbacks to a certain time, like queuing for Placebo with a bunch of friends under blankets. The first single rarely is the best song off an album so there could totally be something more interesting.

4/5 could see myself listening to this band.

Last edited:
Reactions: P4T0U
Moon Shot will be interviewed on YleX tomorrow, I'm at school when it happens and can't listen right then, pretty sure. But when/if it is posted online I can translate if there's anything interesting.

Also whew, the next BAM show was rescheduled to February so I can go, I woudn't have been able to go to the earlier date. I mean BAM and Stratovarius? Gotta go.

It's really weird to see Henkka in a Pop Band and Jaska playing drums for a dark wave band. I was wondering what the guy with no hair is doing.

The contrasts couldn't be bigger. I think in a few months nobody will talk about the 3 anymore

Reactions: Supra
Well I translated the Moon Shot interview if anyone's interested. For some reason I just couldn't tell these guys' voices apart?? So if I made a mistake guessing who was speaking I'm sorry lol.

Moon Shot at YLEX: “The debut album is finished”
Original interview: Jani Kareinen https://areena.yle.fi/audio/1-50692200

Again, welcome Jussi, and Ville Malja. I mean Jussi Ylikoski and Ville Malja, of course both of you have last names. From the band Moon Shot. The band’s debut single has been out for about a week now, how do you feel?

Ville: Great. We had been ready to release it earlier but as weall know, things happened and now we finally managed to squeeze it out. So the feeling is great.

Jussi: Yeah. Well said, it was about time.

I was going to ask about that exactly, I thought maybe the song was supposed to be out before summer and then you could start playing shows and...

Jussi: Yes, exactly. There was going to be some pretty great festival gigs in there but because of what happened this year it was all moved to next year. Hopefully next year will bemore exciting.

Ville: And it was also disappointing for us as a band that we started posting about this and we saw that people were waiting for this and then we couldn’t release new music yet. Of course people get frustrated and start asking where it is and what’s happening.

I remember too, in August-September I was like “In January we were talking about that Moon Shot band, what happened to them?”. But now, it’s good there is new music out. So Moon Shot members are Ville Malja, Jussi Ylikoski, Mikko Hakila and Henkka Seppälä. I read somewhere that the history of this band started already in 2017. Where did it all begin?

Jussi: It was in the late 2018-early 2019 when I was thinking of a new rock band and even talked to Mikko Hakila about it too. It was then that we decided to start looking into this, but it took some time to get more of us in the band. I wrote songs in the spring and summer, then I thought that maybe I should call Ville and see what he thinks. In the fall I called him, it was a two hour long phone call. We were discussing ideas and I sent him some demos. And it didn’t take many days after that that I got some vocal tracks from him. From there we started arranging vocal sessions. The first demos were made then, and some of those are going on the album too.

So Ville was into it right away?

Ville: Well, Jussi called and I was actually bicycling right then, I was like “Ok I’ll listen real quick. Oh, ok, I’m in!” So, in theory, I was in right away, but then he shared a folder of his song ideas and it felt like I fell into this pile of great stuff. And I thought, these are great, no need to think about it more, just start humming the melody ideas on it. This is going to be great.

When and how did you get Henkka Seppälä to join Moon Shot?

Jussi: It was in 2019 May or June, we were thinking about it. We had some old friends in the Bodom crew and from there we heard that Henkka might be interested in this. Then we got a call from him.

Ville: Yeah, I called him. There was a lot of stuff going on in COB at the time and then we heard what happened there and thought about calling him and asking if he’d be interested. We had some mutual friends with him and had briefly met in Helsinki at some point. It took Henkka a minute to think about it, his reaction was pretty much the same as mine; “Let me hear some of it, alright, let’s do this!”

So I’m going to play the debut single Big Bang now, but before I play it; What is it that Moon Shot wants to say with this song?

Ville: Well, there can be different answers from all of us, we are four guys after all, but I think that song is kind of an ode to new beginnings. In everyone’s lives, there are big changes, positive and negative, doors opening, big changes to some direction. Maybe while they are happening they don’t feel like it. This song is an ode to those “bigger than life” moments.

Does Jussi agree?

Jussi: Yes, I fully agree, it was well said.

...So how did it sound to hear it in the radio studio?

Ville: Well I have this thing that when a song is ready, I feel like I can’t listen to it for a while, at least objectively, I have to keep a distance for a while. But now that I listen to it; Drums are loud, vocals are loud. Can’t go wrong with that.”

During the song we were talking about “reference bands”(?) what can you associate with Moon Shot and there were many and we have even received messages from listeners recently about it and it’s interesting that a different person hears references to different bands in there. We just got a message for example “Did I just hear a mashup of 30 Seconds to Mars and Disco Ensemble, it works!” and finally a message that someone besides me hears some early Angels and Airwaves too. How do you feel about these and have you had some bands that are kind of like “I would like to make something a bit like that”?

Ville: I think a certain era of alternative rock we have listened through so well that there’s probably at least ten to fifteen bands that are kind of “references” to all of us. Rage Against the Machine etc... I could start dropping so many names here but I think also that while making music you don’t think about stuff like that. You get what comes out and you can’t think of what box you want to put it in beforehand.

Jussi: Yeah. When you write a song, the idea and the core of it comes first and then all the arrangements and stuff like that, they come from our history and experiences, you can’t think of it very much in the making process. But I’m glad to hear that there is such a big spectrum of artists that people hear in there, it’s like, the song is floating in there and people are biting into it, getting different things from it. It resonates in many ways to different people.

Ville: Of course we are making this for people, It’s cool that people with different back grounds find something familiar for themselves in there. Whether you’re 14 or 54.

As we talked earlier, the song Big Bang was supposed to come out earlier. When was it made?

Jussi: I think it was in spring 2018, it was quite an inspirational time and we made a lot of songs then and a lot of them are going to be on the album. Big Bang was one of them.

Ville: I remember when I received the demo, I first heard the song when I was jogging and it was dark. Maybe I remember it with too romantic sight, was there really stars showing in the sky? I just remember I was in the dark and I heard the beginning of the song and I thought “Well this sounds pretty big! I can’t be holding back with the lyrics at all.”

Was it chosen to be the first single because it sounded so big?

Jussi: Maybe. I feel like I’m too close to these songs and can’t rate them as well so it has been exciting to hear opinions from friends and why they think something is good. Of course it’s great that the band makes all the decisions concerning what songs come out and how, but it has been a great help to have thoughtful people giving opinions. Everyone that heard this song said “That’s it, this is the one.”

What does Big Bang tell about the future of Moon Shot? What kind of stuff can we expect?

Ville: I think the catchy melodies and kind of aggressive way we play is something that can be heard through the whole album.

Jussi: Of course the album is very melodic. But the world that the song Big Bang describes is not the only one, we could have had a very different start if we had chosen another song. There will be a big scale of emotions in there.

Ville: But it’s true that when a band is in this position it’s hard to decide what songs we put out as singles and in what order. It really helps to have someone going “You should do this” and we can be like “Hmm maybe!” We are more concentrated on how it’s gonna sound when the whole album is ready and out.

Of course it’s difficult, some say that the second single should be better than the first. But then you’re like “But I want the best one first!” But then every song is the best song to you at that point. What are the aspirations of Moon Shot and are they going to be here or abroad?

Jussi: Hard to say, of course there’s the usual “Album could sell really well and we could play shows in cool places.” everyone says that. But then at the end of the day it all comes down to your own work and finding the best people to work with who understand this band. Just concentrating on what you can do best. Making more and more new stuff, doing what inspires you most. Let the people decide if it’s any good.

Ville: This band is kind of a second chance to all of us and it’s great that there’s already an audience waiting to us, what more can you wish, now just do your best, ride that wave and hope the wave gets bigger.

Jussi: This kind of a second chance makes you appreciate everything to do with this differently. Back in the day as kids we were maybe, pulling the handle a bit too hard. Now it’s more just enjoying this, it’s cool.

Before I let you get out of here; How ready is your debut album?

Jussi: It’s ready. We just have to decide the songs. There are too many great songs to fit on the album.

And we hopefully don’t have to wait for it very long?

Ville: Well we want to have it released, like, yesterday. We have to follow what’s going on in the world and see what happens, when could be the right time.

Because you’ll have to be able to play shows too.

Both: Exactly.

---------------------------------

Hmm I find it kinda interesting that members of a completely different band knew in May/June 2019 that COB will break up in 2019 and Henkka can join them I mean at that time there were COB shows booked to 2020 but Moon Shot wanted to tour with Henkka in 2020 too. Not impossible to have two bands but COB tours a LOT and for someone to have kids, COB + another band...

Last edited:
Reactions: COB-666
Does Henkka have kids? I mean he has one of the most secret private life imo, so I've never heard from him anything.

xrLLCmn.jpg

126284603_200227471602836_8844014796234287129_o.jpg

127242669_200227574936159_7999421258167027377_o.jpg

Reactions: tragician
i know this was mentioned but am i the only one that was extremely impressed with alexi's live performance at Tavastia?!?! Holy hell, thats the best i have seen him play in 20 years! he was spot on 98%. what the hell happened to him? did he get stem cell therapy or something haha?

Reactions: tragician
It did look/sound much better than last year, can confirm! Maybe this years kinda forced break off touring has affected things positively?

It was briefly discussed also that when will the album be out and well I thought, I remember Blooddrunk was recorded in October/November 2007? And it was out April 2008? There are a few other bands that have been working on new stuff this fall and Stam1na for example just annnounced a new album coming in February 2021... Really new BAM could be out in the spring if it isn't delayed for virus related being unable to tour sorta reasons... They could at least drop a single in Jan/Feb?

Anyway... do we have any info about the keyboards? I really hope they will record keyboards too.