The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

Interesting that Alexi is playing the Drop C songs in Drop B now but still playing the D standard in the original tuning. Its common for bands to play a semitone lower live so I'd assume he would play them in C# now.
They do this since 2015 or 2016.

People are always going to want Bodom so I can't see him playing a setlist with 75% Bodom after Midnight songs if they release an album and tour it.

It seems that people's opinions kind of depend on how they look at this: are they thinking it's COB with a new lineup or are they thinking it's a whole new band? Of course the people that come to these shows are there with COB shirts on and they expect it to be a COB show. But it's not COB with just Alexi.

This definitely feels like Alexi and the Bodomboys rather than COB, imo. I think they should have thrown an original song or 2 into their set at least.
I was womndering what guys expect? Of course they will play Bodom songs and that's what people want. If I would go to a BAM concert I also want to hear Bodom and nothing else. And when they release some new songs, it won't be any different just because they changed their name and some members when 90% of old Bodom was Alexi who wrote 99,5% of all songs. It will be new Bodom songs under another name.

However, Jaska, Janne and Henkka will sink into insignificance, even if they will release some new music, because they were just some good musicians in a band called Bodom, build around Alexi.

Just watched the whole concert from Saturday. 2 strange things: hear the guys play HCDR and see Alexi playing the Downfall solo with that keyboarder which name I don't know.

Besides that: playing-wise the best concert I've seen for years. Alexis playing was nearly as good as it was back in 2013, Daniels short little licks here 'n there are awesome and technically partly way over Alexis playing, Waltteris playing is on the same level as Jaskas and besides the different drumkits, I can't hear any difference.

Question: the complete crew around the band, the guitar techs, sound engineers, etc. are still the same guys, or? So except 3 guys who left the band, the complete "Hate Crew Family" should still be the same, or?

Reactions: mrs.bodOm
Oh, I definitely agree that I'm into them because I liked Bodom's music anyway. But Alexi has talked about already working on new stuff since even before Hexed came out, so they should have SOMETHING in the pipeline. I'm really just curious if the new music will sound like Bodom, or if Alexi wants to make things different now since it's technically a different band.

Reactions: COB-666
Question: the complete crew around the band, the guitar techs, sound engineers, etc. are still the same guys, or? So except 3 guys who left the band, the complete "Hate Crew Family" should still be the same, or?

What I saw the crew is different, but the guitar tech is the same as before. I didn't recognize the others, also I asked Kal in december will he work with BAM and he said no.

Why is it technically a different band? The only one who comes from a different genre is Mitja. And to be honest... bass players have the easiest job in a band

It's technically a different band because it's a different name with a different lineup from the past 20+ years, lol. Just having people from the same genre does not mean your band will necessarily be the same as before. Alexi has always been the principle songwriter, but you can't be sure that he won't change his style some until they actually put out some new music.

It definitely is a different band for me, but I guess it's sort of a start to a new era of Bodom I guess?
The songwriting process is probably gonna be exactly the same, the band input is going to be different, what kind of ideas they throw in.
But the songs are going to be Bodom and the people are gonna wsnt to hear Bodom so it would be weird to not do Bodom then...

A lot of people just have an emotional connection to the band as it was and it feels bad to have it change. And it definitely felt weird to see someone else play those songs, but I got used to it pretty fast and I quickly got to talk to the new guys, they seemed nice.

The stage presence is something very important to a lot of fans and it sure felt weird to not have Jaska smiling and waving behind the drumkit. That is something I miss, but I'm gonna go see his new band live asap :D

Reactions: COB-666

no one from the old “hate crew”. Couple of guys from very recent years, one of which is just handling merch for various Finnish bands as well. So yeah, I’d say the complete Hate Crew Family is just Alexi lol

no one from the old “hate crew”. Couple of guys from very recent years, one of which is just handling merch for various Finnish bands as well. So yeah, I’d say the complete Hate Crew Family is just Alexi lol
Because of this I feel weird that they still play HCDR live :/ The lyrics don't go well with how things are now...

Also why are there no new interviews with Alexi? I'd say playing the first shows with a new band would be something to ask about? Am I being impatient?

Last edited:
Idk, have interviews still been as commonplace with corona going on? I don't know how it's been around the rest of the world, but in America, concerts and music related events are still basically dead.

I know Alexi is normally up to doing promotional stuff, and I'm sure he'll be all over it once BAM have either a fully scheduled tour or a new album, but we'll see once things become more normal.

Interesting that Alexi is playing the Drop C songs in Drop B now but still playing the D standard in the original tuning. Its common for bands to play a semitone lower live so I'd assume he would play them in C# now.
Alexi uses floyd rose bridge guitars, that means for changing tuning he would need to unscrew the nut, tune, screw again and fine tune it

Bands with stardard brdge guitars only need to tune one string and it literally takes only a few seconds, but alexi likes the whammy bar of the floyd and the tune stability.

So he most likely has 2 guitars on D standard and 2 in drop B and he never re-tunes it

I miss the Drop C songs being played in Drop C, he should try a pedal like the digitech drop, it changes the tuning of your guitar with only one push, I have it and can't tell the difference

Alexi uses floyd rose bridge guitars, that means for changing tuning he would need to unscrew the nut, tune, screw again and fine tune it

Bands with stardard brdge guitars only need to tune one string and it literally takes only a few seconds, but alexi likes the whammy bar of the floyd and the tune stability.

So he most likely has 2 guitars on D standard and 2 in drop B and he never re-tunes it
Ehhh, no.

1. His guitar tech does all the tuning thing.
2. New strings are strung on all guitars before each show, so they have to do the complete tuning thing anyway
3. Bands without floyds also have to tune EVERY string and not only one.
4. Alexi has 6 guitars on tour.
5. The reason why they play the drop C songs in drop B has nothing to do with re-tuning. It's much more simplier. They also work in drop B, but there's no reason for down-tune the regular standard D songs.

k, have interviews still been as commonplace with corona going on? I don't know how it's been around the rest of the world, but in America, concerts and music related events are still basically dead.
Finland was pretty much back to normal all summer except big events were canceled. There are still concerts here but with like 150-200 people max audience. Restrictions are coming back now because it looks like there are more virus cases but it was never as bad as the rest of the world. A phone interview or a journalist having backstage access for an interview would have been completely possible which is why it seems weird there has been no interviews yet.

And as for what I talked with the old crew members it didn't seem like there was any bad blood between them and Alexi, them not working with BAM is probably just simply because of something else and since concerts are more rare right now, they might not yet even have a crew that stays the same for all tours.

How much crowd was there? Was it just for inside fans? Did they wear masks?
Each night I guess about 150-250 people, in Tavastia the rows were separated with fences so there was a 1m space between rows of 12 people. Masks were recommended, many wore them but at least me and my friends soon realized that they were pretty useless, as it gets pretty hot in the small concert hall with that many people and the sweat makes the mask damp and uncomfortable it would be more harm than good to constantly adjust it..

The fences between people looked a bit weird first but I gotta say it didn't reallt affect the mood at all other than the positive side that I don't have to worry about chest pains since no one was crushing me or trying to pull me away from the front row lol

What you mean just for inside fans? Tickets were available to everyone, only one of the shows was sold out?

Last edited:
gh3nTr3.jpg

Reactions: tragician