The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

I mean, what the fuck, I reallly didnt expect it to be that good. It's that modern Bodom sound but so fucking fresh and revitalized!
I wanted to cry on the bridge section cause that's exactly when i realized we are not getting gems like this anymore.

A solid 8'75/10. Im so fucking happy

The Video very good. I like that Daniel also has an Solo.

As i am writing in our Telegram group, i am writing here:
I am getting angry at Alexi, cause he wasted his life with this motherfuckin alcohol. Stubborn as hell, we know that from interviews.
Also its sad to see the other 3/4 Guys from BAM, who are now left with such talent. They could have reached very much with BAM.

Yes, Alexi is my Guitar Idol. But his last years are devastating for me. One eye is sad, the other one is angry.

Last edited:
Fuck, he looks so unwell in that video… His face is just… blank. No movements or expressions, even during the screams his mouth barely moves. It’s so sad.

Reactions: COB-666
After a first listen, I like the song of course. The guitars lack bite, that initial riffing is so unclear because of everything else that is going on. Elsewhere the keyboard note just drowns the guitars. The song sounds kinda disjointed. Love the dual soloing.I'm sure my views will change as I listen to this more often.

Video is ok. Kinda difficult to film as band when the bassist is off in his own world. Daniel's jacket looks pretty old school. Love the throwing of the guitar over the shoulder.

Last edited:
Paint the Sky with Blood EP review (9/10):
https://metalwani.com/2021/03/revie...bOnYj_DjJ3fqbkYiXF4nxDR_RKz_ktGLGR1WHMUTJNmYM

" For the second track Payback’s A B*tch, you get a less melodic song that doubles down on a deeper thrash/groove tone. The melody is still there, but the chuggy nature of the riffs in the verses gives the track a much heavier quality overall. It’s still got a barrelling rhythm section, and the keys on this track really shine through (much more than on the first track). Opting for a signature guitar/keyboard duel in its solo/instrumental section this track does really well, with a higher-pitched tone leading listeners to think it’s going to be a higher-pitched duel before a lower-toned guitar solo sweeps in to finish the shred off. The transition between the two is a thing of pure magic and really highlights how Bodom After Midnight weren’t afraid to experiment with these sorts of techniques.

A cover of Dissection‘s Where Dead Angels Lie rounds out the EP, and it remains very true to the original song, but the more melodic nature of the cover definitely makes it a more ‘Bodom’ oriented experience. It’s done in a way that maintains the dark nature of the track, but removes some of its grittier elements to really modernize the track for 2021.

This EP is a fantastic offering and is perhaps bittersweet in being the only offering from Bodom After Midnight we will receive. While there is no denying that the other band members — guitarist Daniel Freyberg, bassist Mitja Toivonen, and Väyrynen — would make a fine combination in a band together given their chemistry on this EP, there is just no pushing ahead underneath a Bodom After Midnight banner without Laiho.

While Alexi may no longer be with us, his music will live eternally. With these final three tracks, we are left with the closing chapter of a legacy spanning three decades that will be revered for years to come. The release of Paint the Sky with Blood should be viewed as a celebration of Laiho’s life — and as upsetting as it is to see someone go out at the top of their game, I couldn’t think of a more fitting collection of tracks to be part of his final release to the world. "

Slightly unusual lyrics.

"A couple of things you left unchecked"
"Please forgive me
For what I've done"

Unfortunately it's one of these videos where the lips of the vocalist and the lyrics aren't very synchronized. Therefore it looks kind of awkward. The transference video suffered from the same problem. Platitudes on the other hand was very good in that regard.

And yeah, he really looks fucked up somehow. It also kind of looks like they threw a ton of hairspray on his head or something.

The song is nice.Need to listen to it a few more times.

Reactions: COB-666
I'll be honest. If it wasn't for Alexi dying I wouldn't bother with the song. Continuation of the musical direction I don't like. It always amuses me when people say it resembles old-school Bodom when it clearly doesn't. It is post-RRF era Bodom.

But you know, good to have on my shelf once it gets to me.

Reactions: rabber_335i
I'll be honest. If it wasn't for Alexi dying I wouldn't bother with the song. Continuation of the musical direction I don't like. It always amuses me when people say it resembles old-school Bodom when it clearly doesn't. It is post-RRF era Bodom.

But you know, good to have on my shelf once it gets to me.

I agree. The song (and maybe the EP too) belongs to "new Bodom era" for me as well, but better than RRF or IWC. Something like... HoB maybe. I like it and the artwork is one of the best Bodom's artworks all the time (for me).

The way the song is written might fit very well in HoB indeed.

But for me atleast, this is how I wished Halo of Blood would have sounded. I already wrote multiple times on this forum that HoB is the worst album for me because it sounds so boring.

This song here sounds very aggressive and fresh especially the vocals (the biggest letdown on HoB, they sound so.... forced?)

It's really a shame that we won't get a full album of this and I'm really excited for the other two songs.