The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

Here's what I guessed for the lyrics so far after playing this song all evening long. Some parts are most definitely wrong, only part I am 100 percent sure on is the first half of Verse 2.

[Intro]
Go!
3, 2, 1!

[Verse 1]
What did you do when I was blind?
Give up my soul, I read my mind
Trust your kind

Fall in my playground, pillage and plunder
Bitch turn me on, you're going under
Eugh
And it makes you wonder how did the story go

[Verse 2]
If you wanna snitch, you're gonna get a stitch
You better start crying 'cause payback's a bitch
And it makes you wonder

??????
??????
This how the story goes

Yow!

[Chorus]
The war is on
Counting 3, 2, 1 (kill!)
Come look at my ending left undone
So better run (3, 2, 1!)

Come look at my ending left undone
Eugh

chorus to me sounds like
“The Brawl is on..
Counting 3 2 1 (kill)
Got nothin’ but nothing
Left undone
So better run”

Wow Payback is terrible, maybe the worst song from Alexi I have ever heard. I guess it makes me feel better in way...

Wow Payback is terrible, maybe the worst song from Alexi I have ever heard. I guess it makes me feel better in way...

Interesting, I think it's better than most cob tracks haha. It's pretty unconventional compared to other stuff and really appreciate the complexity

Interesting, I think it's better than most cob tracks haha. It's pretty unconventional compared to other stuff and really appreciate the complexity

I wouldn't really call it complex, more like random and unfocused. The biggest problem is the main riff just does not do it.

Reactions: rj rl
After listening to Payback on repeat for a day I can now say that it is better than PTSWB and one of the best songs Alexi has written. The song has everything I want in a Bodom song. I prefer newer Bodom so maybe it's just me though.

After listening to Payback on repeat for a day I can now say that it is better than PTSWB and one of the best songs Alexi has written. The song has everything I want in a Bodom song. I prefer newer Bodom so maybe it's just me though.
I prefer newer Bodom as well (mainly because of Alexis vocals though). I'm really hyped for that song now. 2 hours until it's in Spotify here in Germany. I will listen to it immediately at midnight and tomorrow the boxset will arrive :)

Lyrics to Payback have been released:

3-2-1

I might've tripped down when I was blind
You defiled my soul and raped my mind
Just your kind

Violate my playground, pillage and plunder
Bitch, hear me out, you're going under

And it makes you wonder
How did the story go?

You know when you snitch, you're gonna get a stitch
You better stop crying 'cause payback's a bitch

And it makes you wonder

Fuck me, hit me till I'm fried
I can take it on the chin and I'll take it in stride

This is how the story goes

The brawl is on
Counting 3-2-1
Kill!
Got nothing, but nothing left undone
So you better run
3-2-1!

The brawl is on
Counting 3-2-1
Kill!

The brawl is on
Counting 3-2-1
Kill!
So you better run
3-2-1!

Typical Alexi angst kind of lyrics but I like it. Best lines imo:
"You know when you snitch, you're gonna get a stitch
You better stop crying 'cause payback's a bitch" I especially love the gang shout there at the end :)

Reactions: Woffer and COB-666
After a couple of listens of Payback's a Bitch, the intro riff is fun and upbeat and has a good pace. The verses are bit too simplistic...and repetitive. That central chorus part, while an improvement on the verses, needed a more catchy melody. The first solo is nice. The second guitar solo (Daniel?) sounds out of place somehow. That said, I'm sure the song will grow on me the more I listen to it, that's how it's was with Paint and Hexed.

Where Dead Angels Lie is lovely of course. It highlights the weak production though. That double-bass bit sounds so anemic.

So this is it, last song we get from Alexi... forever.

Definitely a song that requires multiple listens to get it.
I think the mix here doesn't do justice to the song, there are so many hidden elements like for example a rising keyboard at the start of the song (same thing happens in PTSWB but since song is a bit les chaotic sounds better imho). Definitely sounds better if you turn the volume a bit low, but come on, it's Bodom I want volume at 32819321/10.

I really like 1:27, those keyboards you can actually hear are such a breath of fresh air after all the thrash (thrash is ok imho and don't mind but it's not my fav Bodom phase), then comes a really cool interlude after.
Solos are pretty good, and the melodic base for the first two solos lets both guitar and keyboard shine.

I happy we got to say goodbye like this, with music. Even if you didn't liked the songs or maybe you didn't thought they where really good I think it's a privilege for us Bodom fans to say goodbye to our idol this way.
But it's also sad because know we know all the music Alexi had for us in store.

Hope you can all find something you like in this EP.

Reactions: Ragehead
Caved into temptation and dl'd it. My order from Napalm is processing on the other end of the continent. No way it gets to me today.

On first listen up until up to 1:27 I was a like "uhm ok, very different tone from ptswb, very reminiscent of the thrashy blooddrunk era(not a bad thing, love BD)", and as soon as that 1:27 mark hit, it clicked. I got it. Song built up faster than I could wipe away my tears.

A couple of more listens and this track is simply a chaotic gold mine, to rival ptswb for me. I wish they'd slightly turn up those subtle keyboards sprinkled all over the verses, bridges and intro. The riffs, bass and drum work had me headbanging after the third listen. Those solos, man.. speechless. Ones of best in recent years.

Listened to Payback finally as the whole thing is on Youtube. I wouldn't say it's his worst song by a long shot, but it definitely doesn't feel as strong as the title track to me. It almost reminds me of a Blooddrunk song.

Payback's sounded weird at first but I quickly enjoyed it after a few listens.
Dissection cover is great, and sadly fits well for Alexi's final act. I listened to the original album quite a few times this past weeks and have been surprised on how much an influence it was for Alexi.
At least 3 riffs you can identify a precise bodom/sinergy song (hcdr era).

All in all, a great EP, HoB's vibe, not a fan of the production but still ok. And so, this is it...

Reactions: Widdershins