The Next Swano Release...?

Dan Swanö;9973116 said:
Another project that just "opened up" is the restoration/re-recording of one of the best demo/albums in my career, "A Collection of Worlds II" from Unicorn.

This has me extremely excited!

This has me extremely excited!

Me too. The songs are great, but it's not hard to tell that Dan hadn't hit puberty yet, when it comes to his vocals! :D

The Weirdest Of Tales should sound pretty stellar as well, with re-recorded vocals. That one is the best Unicorn demo, IMO.

I so wish Dan would get back together with Bloodbath now that Mikael is back. They lost their magic with him gone. The new album is good, but it still feels "empty", if that makes sense.

Nice to have an update Dan.
:)
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how things are going.
Realllly cant wait for Second Sky and Witherscape!

I so wish Dan would get back together with Bloodbath now that Mikael is back. They lost their magic with him gone. The new album is good, but it still feels "empty", if that makes sense.

Thats called the Dan Swano Syndrome, its an affliction a lot of bands that he's left appear to suffer with... ;)

Dan Swanö;9973116 said:
To me, my songwriting was losing its quality a long time ago (and therefore not being a very fun activity)

If you ask me, I have only written a few good songs since the mid 90's when I was at my peak. But back then I released an album a week, so it's no wonder that the "well ran dry"
I think most of us here would view this as an absurd observation. Because it is! Haha.

Dan Swanö said:
I teamed up with my ex-music-shop colleague Ragnar Widerberg and we decided to start writing some old Judas Priest meets Crimson-style E.O.S./Moontower kind of music.
and after every other good name was already taken, we settled on Witherscape, for the name for of my return to songwriting, and also to drumming, and maybe most surprisingly, Growling!!
Yep!! You read it right...and it sounds better than ever!!

But I am only able to sing like 8 lines of lyrics before I completely mess up my throat, and the worst is the headaches and the feeling of being run over by a bulldozer from hell!
So, I won't be doing all the "evil" vocals. I have 3 other guys that will split the burden with me, and also bring some variety to the growled sections.
But there will be at least one section of growls from me, per song.
But I will do all the normal singing. Which ranges from mellow, old Nightingale "deep voice" to the more angry Dio flavored voice featured on Star One II.

We had a Witherscape session this very day, and we completed the guitars and bass for yet another song from the pre-production.
2 more to go, and then we'll start all over again, with more attention to detail. It's a tough job, since we are recording without a click track
(we both think most good songs were recorded without it... Let the song live!!) but once we nail the takes, it feels really alive and breathing!

Wonderful! When do you think this'll be released? Looking forward to listening to it... I have always thought Edge of Sanity (and Pan.Thy.Monium as well) riffs were influenced by classic metal or even hard rock... then the idea of mixing heavy metal and death metal in such an explicit way makes me very excited.
I hope I'll be able to listen to this within next spring...

Hah, I come here to check if Dan's been up to anything lately and find this. Cool to hear he's getting back to business with new releases :)

Whatever happened to Obliterhate? That seemed to vanish into Oblivion. Who knows if this new project will ever be released. If I was Mr Swano I would be releasing albums like a mad scientist. There is too much to write about, and plenty of inspiration. There is an underground cult following, and once you have that you have a strong fanbase like Bathory.

musician can always finds sources of inspiration, and the there should never be the bottom of the barrell or a dry well of thoughts and ideas. If this is the case you might as well just quit trying and change your profession.

I think Dan could release "something" all the time, but he really wants it to have a very high quality, which I esteem in the days of an already very flooded music market.

"musician can always finds sources of inspiration, and the there should never be the bottom of the barrell or a dry well of thoughts and ideas. If this is the case you might as well just quit trying and change your profession".

Uhhhh…huh? Sometimes the well of creativity can *temporarily* run dry, whether you're Mr. Swanö or not. It's only human to run out of inspiration from time to time. Running out of inspiration and, as a consequence, taking a break can be the best form of finding inspiration there is. I would think it impossible to constantly release albums, and constantly write music--you'd either go crazy, or release mediocre stuff. Anyone with a creative bent needs to experience times of boredom, reflection, and angst if they're to truly stay creative. I fully agree with Skaldir's statement above. Like good old Boltthrower, don't release something unless you're 99% sure of it's quality. Otherwise, why release it?