THE NOVELLA RESERVOIR - FAN REVIEWS

I just picked this up after skipping PHD. Not sure why I skipped it, but there you go. I have to say, however, that after a couple of listens 'The Novella Reservoir' is a great album. It moves away from the slow doomy stuff, obviously, and often has a more 'metal' sound, which is interesting and cool.

Of course the artwork is brilliant and Travis has outdone himself, but I'm more than happy to focus on the music!

Favourite tracks include 'Twilight Innocence', 'The Novella Reservoir' and 'Leaving This'. Brilliant songs. I sense an element of Agalloch in 'Twilight Innocence' but with more immediacy.

I'm back in the Novembers Doom fold! Awesome!!

I picked up TNR about 3 weeks ago and I haven't stopped listening to it yet. This album is SO FUCKING GREAT!!!!!!!!!! Rain reeled me in immediately...so brutal, and Paul's raspy screech of "RAINNNNNNNNNNNN..." in the chorus still gives me chills. The other tracks that stand out for me (although the entire album is a fucking masterpiece!) are Dominate The Human Strain, They Were Left To Die and Twilight Innocence. 'Dominate' bashes you in the fucking head with it's brutality and wicked guitar licks. I could listen to this song over and over and never get tired of it. Then on 'They Were Left...', I growl right along with Paul in the chorus...so damed tasty. And Vito/Paul/Chris, the riffs leading into the chorus are VICIOUS!!! And then there's 'Twilight Innocence'. *sigh* I was instantly taken by this song because I feel the same way for my daughter as Paul apparently feels about his. Just a perfectly written ode, if you will. Kudos Paul.

In closing, one of the best albums I've bought in years. Keep it death guys!!! Hopefully I'll see you around Philly this summer. I'll be the slightly older, balding guy losing his fucking mind!!! :headbang:

Here is my (long overdue) review, which has been submitted to www.metal-archives.com:

THE PERFECT FOLLOW-UP TO THE PALE HAUNT DEPARTURE

The latest offering from Novembers Doom, “The Novella Reservoir,” is the perfect continuation from the path of destruction laid from 2005’s “The Pale Haunt Departure.” Once again, the band takes a heavier and more direct approach to their own brand of death / doom metal that is often easily misclassified by listeners.

The disc starts off with the powerful “Rain” whose opening lyric of, “Becoming one with madness, a chaos to embrace” remains one of my favorite lines of the album. This track is a memorable heavy-hitting opening track, such as was the title track to 2005’s TPHD.

Next up is the title track to “The Novella Reservoir.” This track opens with more of a subtle guitar riff that lets you know you are in for. Tempo-wise, this track reminds me of “Swallowed By The Moon.” The highlight of this track would be the dual-vocal delivery of the chorus, which will stick in your head for weeks.

In true Novembers Doom fashion, the more subdued title track is followed by the heavy and pulverizing “Drown the Inland Mere.” This track perfectly showcases vocalist Paul Kuhr’s amazing abilities to switch between clean vocals and growls.

The fourth track is a 100% ballad written about Paul Kuhr’s daughter entitled “Twilight Innocence.” This is the track that some will get and others won’t. Fans of Novembers Doom are more than aware of how personal the lyrics can get. This is the riskiest and most daring track on the record, especially for this band. Vocally, Kuhr uses his deeper tones in an almost David Gilmore-like style to deliver the goods. This song is sung over a guitar line that is both haunting and beautiful at the same time. This track is the perfect example of what makes Novembers Doom and each new release so special. They never are afraid to take a risk or try something new without straying too far from their base formula.

Fans of 80’s thrash will love the next track entitled “The Voice of Failure.” The track begins with some nice guitar feedback reminiscent of Metallica’s “Blackened.” This goes into a pummeling thrash intro not previously heard on a Novembers Doom record. Drummer Joe Nunez effectively uses double peddling to lead the assault! This track also boasts perfect dual-vocal harmonies in the chorus, which makes for an easy listen.

Another two heavy tracks follow in “They Were Left to Die” and “Dominate the Human Strain”

The album concludes with an outro song entitled “Leaving This,” which is a powerful mid-tempo track about departure. The lyrics ask the listener to “Mourn not the loss, but the memory.” This is yet another in the long line of Kuhr’s lyrics which can be interpreted in various ways.

In summary, “The Novella Reservoir” continues to further challenge previous perceptions of Novembers Doom. With each release, new approaches are explored while maintaining the core sound and style of their brand of death / doom. Pre-Orders of this disc came with Paul Kuhr’s book “The Wayfaring Chronicles” which detail the meaning behind the lyrics of each song from each Novembers Doom full-length. I strongly recommend this book to any fan. Novembers Doom have previously never made the same album twice, and I am thankful for that.

I have to admit i do not like this ablum anymore then any other cd ND has put out...as a fan and always will be ND compell me everytime to listen...i just enjoy the production alot more..the songs are tight and meaningful..with the guitars jumping out...as really good and some solo's that excited me i must say!..guys Great CD....

I just started getting into Novembers Doom. After listening to The Pale Haunt Departure many times, I got The Novella Reservoir. While I like PHD better I must say that the new album kicks major ass. Novembers Doom is one of my favorite bands at the moment and IMO has the best death vocals ever aside from Chuck Schuldiner from Death.