The Official Borknagar Appreciation Thread

What's your favorite Borknagar Album?

• Total voters

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.
What an absolutely magnificent band. In this sea of extreme metal we have today, there are very few bands that started early and are still just as good. There are many people who like either just the old stuff or just the new stuff, but I enjoy them all very much. Each release varies greatly in its style.. what's not to like!? I proudly own them all.

Marksveld's Borknagar Album Ratings

1. The Olden Domain
2. Borknagar
3. The Archaic Course / Empiricism
4. Epic
5. Quintessence

I really like the first album and have heard nothing else by them. I bought it the second I found out Garm sings on it, because I'm a blatant Ulver fanboy.

Whatshisfuck sings on the other stuff right, uhhh... Verminator? Vintersorg, yeah that guy.

Borknagar and The Olden Domain = Garm
The Archaic Course and Quintessence = Vortex (Simen Hestenaes)
Empiricism and Epic = Vintersorg

1. Garm
2. Vintersorg
3. Vortex

Garm is the greatest vocalist alive, followed closely by Vintersorg. Vortex is really really good, but people make this huge fucking deal about him, when he really has some competition.

So Garm sings on the second album as well, hmm. How does it differ from the self-titled? If it's more of the same I don't really need it, but if it's some huge step or change I'll probably get it.

I've made no secret in barely being able to stomach Vortex, as in that's where I want to punch him whenever I hear his voice. Vintersorg I can pass on as well, but I've only heard that one EP once. Vortex I've heard in a bunch of bands, yuk. :yuk: + :ill:

Quintessence for me. Vortex shits all over Sir Cheese Vintersorg. Garm's singing for Borkie is really good, but he's best in Ulver. A shame he went into gay electronica. The main problem I have with the Vintersorg stuff is that it's not fresh anymore. It's just Quintessence with an inferior vocalist.

All I need are the first four.

1. Quintessence
2. The Olden Domain
3. Borknagar
4. The Archaic COurse
5. Empiricism
6. Epic

Borknagar rocks my world, dude :)p). They're one of my all-time favourite bands, and one of the bands that got me into extreme metal. I used to think that Vintersorg was on par with Vortex, but his very cheesy vocal deliveries on Epic mean that Vortex, in my eyes, is THE Borknagar vocalist. Garm was very good too, obviously.

Henrik Main's album rating:

1. Empiricism
2. Quintessence
3. The Archaic Course
4. The Olden Domain
5. Borknagar/Epic

My favourite Borknagar songs:

Oceans Rise
Universal
Four Element Synchronicity
Liberated
The Genuine Pulse
Revolt
Rivalry Of Phantoms
Colossus
The Winterway

Edit: Lolz @ every album having received one vote so far

J. said:
Quintessence for me. Vortex shits all over Sir Cheese Vintersorg. Garm's singing for Borkie is really good, but he's best in Ulver. A shame he went into gay electronica. The main problem I have with the Vintersorg stuff is that it's not fresh anymore. It's just Quintessence with an inferior vocalist.

All I need are the first four.

1. Quintessence
2. The Olden Domain
3. Borknagar
4. The Archaic COurse
5. Empiricism
6. Epic

^ best post this thread will ever have

P.S. I vote for quintessence

P.P.S. but I like ulver's gay electronica

Vintersorg killed Epic for me, but I like the songs on Empiricism a lot. The best Borknagar songs ever are probably "The Genuine Pulse" or "Stellar Dome". It's much better than his OTT delivery on Epic (way too much wailing), and even listening to Odemarkens Son now just makes me cringe. He really is that chef from the Muppet Show. Urdy gurdy gurdy.

All the Borknagar I listen to now is the debut and Quintessence. Unlike the NADster, I really like Vortex, but I admit, even his style can get a bit much after a while (see: Lamented Souls). He's better off mixing his styles up a bit.

I'm notorious for being a Vintersorg fan-boi, but eh... I don't think his voice was the best choice for Epic. He should stick with his own stuff.

I love Borknagar , but I only have Quintessence, Empiricism, and Epic. Its all Ive been able to find. I really like Vortex alot. Epics taken awhile to grow on me , but it has. Quint. is my favs of the ones Ive heard.

Garm sucks ass, most droning, boring voice in the history of music. The Olden Domain has good music and terrible vocals. Need to get the s/t anyway and check it out. The Archaic Course is good, Quintessence is mediocre with terrible sound. Empiricism is one of the greatest albums ever released and Epic is a very good, solid release. I like the direction they're taking and really look forward to this next album now, especially since Vintersorg will still be doing vocals. One of my top 10 bands.

Vintersorg>Vortex>a moose taking a shit>Garm

Opeth17 said:
Garm sucks ass, most droning, boring voice in the history of music.
Guh, buh, feh, and MEH to you sir. :loco:

new Ulver = old Ulver

-but-

Trickster G. > Garm

Thanks for fucking up the dimensions on the page ^_________________________^

yeah anyway- Adrian, Garm's performance on The Olden Domain is fucking legendary. It's like the s/t only with a slower, more progressive/viking feel. It's great.

Yeah, somebody put some spaces in all that >>>>>> mess.
In this thread I now have to scroll, how would you say... Mongoloid?

Marksveld, I could stand some more viking metal. Congratulations, you have sold me.
I might wait until next winter though, since I have listened to very little
black(ish) stuff this season (and it's near 80 degrees today).

Yeah, get rid of those fucking > signs. Seriously.

I'd reccomend getting it whenever you can. Probably what hooks most people is the first song, I mean its one of the best introductions to an album ever.