The Official Peavey XXX Thread

I still haven't had a chance to try mine on a good 4x12. Amazing how much gain the XXX has. Good gain, too. I wonder if mine was modded. I bought it $450 used.

Also, funny how sensitive the knobs are, especially the high end.

You probably know this, but the EQ is active on the gain channels on the XXX. Having the knobs at the 12:00 position is actually 0. Turning down from there actually cuts the frequency, turning up boosts it, as opposed to "boost only" on passive EQ's on most amps, so the sweep generates a more radical tonal change.

Bought one awile back for $200 :heh: Got it home and hooked it up to my Mesa cab and ......nothing. long story short the impedence switch was fucked, it would only work in 4 or 16 ohms, got it fixed for $80 so all in all i dont think it was a bad purchase lol The amp is a BEAST and blended with a Recto ssssshhhhhiiiiitttttt :headbang:

You probably know this, but the EQ is active on the gain channels on the XXX. Having the knobs at the 12:00 position is actually 0. Turning down from there actually cuts the frequency, turning up boosts it, as opposed to "boost only" on passive EQ's on most amps, so the sweep generates a more radical tonal change.

Did not know that man :err: I still have yet to hear a better XXX tone than the one you posted. Do you know if the FX Loop is the same as the JSX?
Becouse as Lasse pointed out that you have to max the send and return on the JSX. getting ready to re-amp for a project and im going to be using the XXX, got anymore tips for a honkey in way of achieving the tone you got? I believe i have your setting you posted saved.

Did not know that man :err: I still have yet to hear a better XXX tone than the one you posted. Do you know if the FX Loop is the same as the JSX?
Becouse as Lasse pointed out that you have to max the send and return on the JSX. getting ready to re-amp for a project and im going to be using the XXX, got anymore tips for a honkey in way of achieving the tone you got? I believe i have your setting you posted saved.

It has levels for both send and return, I had them cranked.

I just did some demos for my band, and I tracked the XXX for it a bit different. I miked the cab it was running into, but then used the Line Out to DI in case I thought impulses would work better.

I'd never used the line out. It has a level knob as well...It's output is dependent on the master volume, so you wouldn't be able to do "silent" recording like you could using the effects send (using the FX send you can turn the master to 0 and crank the channels volume to get a nice hot signal).

That XXX tone I posted I truly dig, but for fast riffing, I don't think it would work too well, just a little too thick and woofy on the low end.

I ended up tracking last night on the Ultra channel with the gain about 10:00, boosted with an OD808 with the mids on the amp a little scooped, and had the setting set to loose.

Chunk city, but still tight. I think the Ultra channel comes off a little bit drier than the Crunch. It's still gainy, but it doesn't sound as saturated on the high end, it's more chunky.

IMO, this amp sounds best with the dampening switch set to loose...It's still plenty tight at that setting, though.

Did not know that, thanks!

Turning down from there actually cuts the frequency, turning up boosts it, as opposed to "boost only" on passive EQ's on most amps...

Passive eq controls aren't really boosting, though, right? I always figured they worked like the tone control on a guitar, where you're adjusting (from most/0 to least/10) the amount of cut and turning it all the way up is the closest thing to the control being absent from the circuit altogether.

Passive eq controls aren't really boosting, though, right? I always figured they worked like the tone control on a guitar, where you're adjusting (from most/0 to least/10) the amount of cut and turning it all the way up is the closest thing to the control being absent from the circuit altogether.

Yup

Hmm, I don't know how I'd characterize it.

I've heard people say that putting a tone pot at 0 on an amp removes that part of the signal, as such on some passive amps, if you turn all the tone knobs to 0, no sound is present...So, I guess thinking in reverse, having all the knobs full on removes their impact on the tone altogether.

Sorry for the wording. To me, I think of passive controls as "boost" only as having it all the way on is as much of that frequency you can get "built in", all the way off is none at all...

The idea that we're reducing something (the amount of cut) by turning a knob up is counterintuitive, I know. :loco: It's like the other day when a friend of mine mistakenly thought that "higher video compression bitrate" means something is more compressed, when of course, it means it contains more bits i.e. less compression.

That's if you're using FX in the loop and you want unity gain. You can max both knobs for a boost in volume (which may change the tone somewhat too).