The Official Peavey XXX Thread

here's mines...

triplexxx.jpg

I really like that, wanted diamondplate for mine but couldnt find anywhere online in the UK that stocked it, so had to go with chequer plate instead.

How much do they go for used? (Or how much would you pay for a used one?)

I'd say anywhere from 400-700 bucks US. I paid 630 for mine shipped in a head case. I bought it off ebay from a dude who had it as a backup for his Mesa rig...He rarely used the XXX, and it was in mint condition. Probably in better shape than the ones on the floor at your local music store, lol.

I ended up modding the cosmetics on mine a bit, too...Painted the plate, changed the knobs:

xxx2.jpg

Hell, that would be less than 500 €. There's no way any tube amp is ever going for so little money around here. (Broken amps and shitty JCM 900 Dual Reverbs excluded.) I'd say it's more like 600+. :erk:
How much where they new before they were discounted?

How are the Triple XXX cabs?

I remember trying one at a store and liking it more than the 6505+ they also had.

XXX cab kicks ass! The first time I saw one was in the last Exodus show in my city, I was talking to Gary Holt and he told that cab sounds good&punchy&defined...as hell, and he stated also "Don´t let MESA&Marshall disease infect you" in fact, in Spain, a brand new XXX cab costs around 800€, and if you pay it, you don´t expect that´s a joke, I mean is a big budget. And with that statement I went to the music shop and bought my XXX stack, with same tubes G.Holt already had. That was the story, the end!

Someone I know is selling his Triple XXX.

He says it's about 4,5 years old, cost him 1.200 EUR / ~1.700 USD new. Used it for less than ten gigs live and for rehearsals. Tubes are fine he says. Comes with footswitch (basically hasn't been used so far) and eventually a pack of backup tubes.

He wouldn't name a prize and insists on an offer. So, how much should I offer?
Someone on this thread said that they usually go for 700 USD / 500 EUR in the US and that’s basically what I’d wanna pay but I’m afraid he’s gonna kick my ass upon that offer as tube amps aren’t usually that cheap around here. :lol:

Btw can you believe it: He sells the Triple XXX because he likes his JCM 900 better. :OMG:

500-700€ is a good price in my opinion, depends on condition.
Saw a few XXX in Germany for that price.
Actually almost bought one once, great set, Ibanez T7, XXX, Footswitch, Case, Engl Standard 4x12 for 950 Euro, everything in great condition...
I still hate myself for not buying it.

I played a triple X one day at a rehearsal because my Dual Rec was currently not with me and I have to say I completely hated it. It was extremely fizzy and lacked a lot of balls and did not cut through at all. Maybe I just need to sit down with one and really tweak it.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it tbh, I just hope it's a trick of the light! :erk: :lol:

it is. the red walls make the camera color look funny in this room sometimes, and the room has soft warm lights as it is. Most definitely a bright white, not cream. I don't dig the cream, either.

I like the contrast of the white knobs for sure. And, for some reason, I really like this style of knob :)goggly:).

I played a triple X one day at a rehearsal because my Dual Rec was currently not with me and I have to say I completely hated it. It was extremely fizzy and lacked a lot of balls and did not cut through at all. Maybe I just need to sit down with one and really tweak it.

It has a lot of little things that could have prevented you from totally digging it. It may not have been to your tastes, but hard to say. I feel Rectos are more fizzy than Peaveys usually (and Peaveys do have some fizz), but YMMV, and tastes are subjective.

I think the XXX can definitely sound a bit thin if the damping is set to tight. I say ALWAYS RUN THE AMP ON THE LOOSE SETTING. Even on loose, it's still plenty tight. If you're not familiar with the amp, probably something most people don't even think about.

How does this amp sound with 6L6's. I have the 3120 w/ EL34's and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth the funds to get a set of 6L6's to try out.