The Official Riff/Beat Help Thread

_Gentleman of_the Snow_

Prog' Drummer
Oct 30, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello, guys and gals. I've decided to make a thread where one can ask their fellow members for help on analyzing musical parts, providing tips on how to play certain riff/beats, or anything musical that may require assistance.

The reason I came up with this idea is beacuse I've been trying to disect Rullo's drum beat from the song Divine Wings at 2:45-3:00 for quite some time. I've worked out the bass drum and snare pattern. I know where the ride bell accents fit in, but I cannot fully hear the combination of ride and high-hat hits. I'm pretty sure they're constant 8th note triplets, but I'm not sure which order the high-hat and ride hits are played. Can anybody help?

Yeah... It's just panned closed hi-hat and ride bell, you can hear it alot clearer on the Live CD.

If you have guitar pro I bet I could figure it out and save it.

MrFast said:
Yeah... It's just panned closed hi-hat and ride bell, you can hear it alot clearer on the Live CD.

If you have guitar pro I bet I could figure it out and save it.

I know that he is using ride, ride bell, and high-hat, and I actually have been using the live and studio version (using live is always good for this kind of stuff). I just don't know the actual pattern between the high-hat and ride. I use Guitar Pro religiously, lol.

The beat goes like this (if it's in 5/8 time)

RB|x---------|
RC|----x---x-|
HH|--x-------|
SD|------x---|
BD|x---x---x-|

That's my interpretation (though I did only listen to it for about 2 min heh)

---=| Dave |=---

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I got a good question...

What are the time signatures in the polyrhythm of Communion And The Oracle?

The one at the end? I believe the time sigs are something like...

Guitar: 5/4
Piano:either 4/4 or 9/8 (probably neither)
Bass:5/4, 11/8 (mixed meter)
Drums: Umm.... Hey look! A pink Elephant!!

..... I'm definitely really really wrong, but at least I tried.

The Stormbringer said:
Wow... looks like MJR really brushed up on his classical music theory. Most of the time, polyrhythms in rock music will consist of a 6/4 riff over a 4/4 beat or something. :D
And that class, is what we call a.... does anybody know? Yes, very good Ptah Khnemu!! A Polyrhythm!! :lol:

The first piano melody in Communion And The Oracle goes like this:
5/4, 4/4, 9/8, 6/8 so it's 33/8 altogether :D