Votes: 30 32.3%
  • No way!

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • On the fence...

Votes: 34 36.6%

• Total voters

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
Decided to start a new thread for this so as to not totally hijack the "what interface are you switching to" thread

98% of us are, the only one who wont be are the kids that record in their rooms. Seriously if you are AT ALL serious about really building a studio that people are going to pay you to record them, and you don't upgrade to Pro Tools its kind of foolish.

Its the industry standard, and the industry standard has the best workflow in the industry on all the DAW's out there.

The only reason not to upgrade to Pro Tools is if you used Cracked / Hacked Software.

I'm gonna have to respectfully, and strongly, disagree with you. PT9 is a huge step, it's definitely a game changer... but they STILL have failed to provide what, in my opinion, are extremely basic features that should have been there for years and years. stuff that Cubase has had, stock, for years and years.

I don't want this to be a PT vrs Cubase thread or really a PT vrs anything thread, but I just had to say I think you are just plain wrong. Even if you don't agree that Cubase or <insert daw here> is simply a more powerful software than Pro Tools - you can't say that people that don't "upgrade" (it's a downgrade in my opinion) aren't serious about their work. I'm pretty sure David Bendeth uses Nuendo, Joey not only uses Cubase but went to PT and then moved back.. and so on and so forth. if you think they are just kids in their bedroom, well... I don't know what to tell you.

LOL ... really? Seriously?

What a douche bag move.... but for sure something I would do so I will play ball.

Yep making the switch as soon as I know there are no hardware compatibility issues with my Saffire.

Oh and one final thing ... I love being the inspiration for so much around these parts nowadays :)

Oh .. and if you didnt realize this is Pro Tools move to the "mid market" then you must be nuts. I would say close to 75% of this board is in the mid market and have been gassing for Pro Tools if they could afford it. Well now then can. She even our resident Reaper Lover Catharsis said hes gonna make the switch.

Cant wait to prove the nay sayers wrong. :)

LOL ... really? Seriously?

What a douche bag move.... but fire sure something I would do so I will play ball.

Yep making the switch as soon as I know there are no hardware compatibility issues with my Saffire.

Oh and one final thing ... I love being the inspiration for so much around these parts nowadays :)

not trying to be a douche? I just didn't want to hijack that other dudes thread.

I'll probably grab it. But I doubt it will become my main host just yet. I like the edit and mix groups. But most everything else PT does is in other programs. Programs that do offer me the features I need.

Oh .. and if you didnt realize this is Pro Tools move to the "mid market" then you must be nuts. I would say close to 75% of this board is in the mid market and have been gassing for Pro Tools if they could afford it. Well now then can. She even our resident Reaper Lover Catharsis said hes gonna make the switch.

Cant wait to prove the nay sayers wrong. :)

I agree that's what they are doing of course - I just don't understand the hype.

limited latency compensation, no autofades, crippled automation without some silly expensive toolkit, and you can't even see a waveform while moving it about? I can't be the only one that finds that one especially to be entirely ridiculous.

I do like the import session data feature, I like the way the send busses work, and I like that you can hide/show tracks really easily, among a few other things, but in order to use all those cool things, you have to sacrifice extremely basic functionality.

I want you to be right, I want to like pro tools, I want to jump on the whole "industry standard" band wagon. But I just don't understand.

[UEAK]Clowd;9480498 said:
limited latency compensation, no autofades, crippled automation without some silly expensive toolkit, and you can't even see a waveform while moving it about? I can't be the only one that finds that one especially to be entirely ridiculous.
[...]
I want you to be right, I want to like pro tools, I want to jump on the whole "industry standard" band wagon. But I just don't understand.
Big +1.
After the event I really wanted to buy it ASAP, but now there are more and more things that make me wonder.. Why the fuck did they leave out such basic features?
Why would I want to make the switch from Logic9 to PT9, while I've got everything in Logic (except Beat detective, but there's Flex Time in Slicing Mode).
The only cause for me right now is that I'll need it for my audio engineering school. And I would be able to open/send PT sessions..
Perhaps it would even pull some customers :lol:
But there are a few things that are inferior to Logic, at least that's the way I see it.

I'd even pay another $500 for a full version.. but $2600 just for the very basic features of a DAW? Come on..
(lol at 33,33% for every vote)

Big +1.
After the event I really wanted to buy it ASAP, but now there are more and more things that make me wonder.. Why the fuck did they leave out such basic features?
Why would I want to make the switch from Logic9 to PT9, while I've got everything in Logic (except Beat detective, but there's Flex Time in Slicing Mode).
The only cause for me right now is that I'll need it for my audio engineering school. And I would be able to open/send PT sessions..
Perhaps it would even pull some customers :lol:
But there are a few things that are inferior to Logic, at least that's the way I see it.

agreed, but, have you used beat detective? I have. It's nearly useless on anything complex, especially when you are dealing with triplets or anything like that. It's infinitely faster to do it by hand.

I am interested in buying it solely to open up PT sessions but $600 is a pretty hefty price to pay for just that.

[UEAK]Clowd;9480534 said:
agreed, but, have you used beat detective? I have. It's nearly useless on anything complex, especially when you are dealing with triplets or anything like that. It's infinitely faster to do it by hand.

Following the standard Beat Detective workflow for complex material is indeed time consuming, but the Beat Detective window is still extremely useful in those situations, if only for the "Region Separation" and "Edit Smoothing" sections.

You should see jval edit drums in Pro Tools, just splits the entire song roughly using "Region Separation", then goes through by hand quantizing huge chunks and editing tricky sections by hand, correcting any improperly placed cuts or anything along the way. Then "edit smoothing" on the whole thing and done. I have never seen him take more than 2 hours to do any track of any complexity ever, he is a machine. I think it's the Starbucks.

Following the standard Beat Detective workflow for complex material is indeed time consuming, but the Beat Detective window is still extremely useful in those situations, if only for the "Region Separation" and "Edit Smoothing" sections.

You should see jval edit drums in Pro Tools, just splits the entire song roughly using "Region Separation", then goes through by hand quantizing huge chunks and editing tricky sections by hand, correcting any improperly placed cuts or anything along the way. Then "edit smoothing" on the whole thing and done. I have never seen him take more than 2 hours to do any track of any complexity ever, he is a machine. I think it's the Starbucks.

that actually sounds pretty cool. I used to do something similiar with macros in Cubase but I ended up figuring out that just cut, slip, go go go was faster and usually less painful.

[UEAK]Clowd;9480534 said:
Honestly: No.
I never edited Drums for a paid project as yet :D
But you can't do the slip editing thing with Logic, can you? So I'd have PT and Logic and I still won't be able to edit drums quickly? FFFFUUUU :lol:

2 hours still sounds damn long to me :eek:

[UEAK]Clowd;9480498 said:
I agree that's what they are doing of course - I just don't understand the hype.

I do like the import session data feature, I like the way the send busses work, and I like that you can hide/show tracks really easily, among a few other things, but in order to use all those cool things, you have to sacrifice extremely basic functionality.

Agreed. I don't understand why they're charging so much for basic automation features that are in every other DAW...

Seriously if you are AT ALL serious about really building a studio that people are going to pay you to record them, and you don't upgrade to Pro Tools its kind of foolish.

David Bendeth says different.

I'm not switching to PT9.... using PT 7.4 now.
And switching to PT9 means I need a new Mac and I don't know for sure if my 002 works with PT9. So that would be a lot of $$$$............ maybe later ;)

im using logic 9 and im pretty happy, and have experience with PT7+8.

already bought the upgrade from PT 8 to 9, seeing if it can sway me this time (ADC fucked me off before, as did many other things which have now been resolved). time to start learning PT again, but im not sure if ill use it exclusively, or in combination with logic+waveburner.

I'm pretty happy with Logic 9 and I know it very well, but I can't help but think that I'd be better off knowing Pro Tools as well as I do Logic. Logic has a few annoying bugs that I always have to work around, so I'm considering getting PT9 to try out a different workflow. But if PT9 doesn't have continuous scrolling, has crippled automation etc. I honestly don't see the point.