The Official WOODS OF YPRES - W4: "The GREEN Album" Thread.

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
WOY42f2.jpg

WOYband1.jpg

W4: The GREEN Album.
Available now!!!!

Order:
Order online from THE END RECORDS:
http://www.theomegaorder.com/WOODS-...b63dac60e80b2a89.e3eTaxePaNqNe34Pa38Ta38Qax50

Or order direct from the band by sending $20 (well hidden cash, check or money order) to:

David Gold / GREEN
44 Poplar Ave
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6B 2W7 CANADA

Or, send $20 via PAYPAL (www.paypal.com) to: woodsofypres@hotmail.com

Canadian Retail Store Release Date: Tuesday, December 15th 2009, available in stores across Canada!

Reviews:
Hellbound.ca
http://www.hellbound.ca/2009/11/woods-of-ypres-iv-the-green-album/

Difficult Music
http://diffmusic.blogspot.com/2009/12/woods-of-ypreswoods-4-green-album.html

WOODS OF YPRES - W4: The GREEN Album was voted #4 Canadian Metal Album of 2009 at hellbound.ca: http://www.hellbound.ca/2009/12/hellbounds-top-10-canadian-albums-of-2009/

More, as it grows... :ill:

DG - \w/ :kickass:

Just got mine on Friday and I think this will definately become my new favourite Woods album by far, I've always preferred the doom style of Woods stuff so this album is right up my alley; only problem is that all the songs work so nicely together that I have to listen to it all at once and I can't achieve anything haha.

Of course the lyrics are top notch as always, the personal narrative through the whole album is just awesome and inspirational, thank you for sharing with us Mr. Gold, bravo sir.

Holy shit, Window of Oppurtunity is so good, what a great spoken word bit, obviously on your trip to Korea... and then a wicked lead line... damn this is good. Will have a full reaction once I'm all the way through the album front to back.

The songs are obivously kickass but the biggest change I've seen is the amazing production. It has this vibe I can't really describe, but it has the same feel as Watershed. It has this mix perfection to it that sounds analogue more than digital. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure lots of people heard it too.

Still waiting. Pre-ordered in June.

You must be farther away... All pre-orders were packed up and shipped on the same day we got delivery of the CDs from the factory: Friday November 13th. Bryan B and I hustled to stuff envelopes and brought three massive boxes of pre-orders to the post office that very night. It'll show up soon! Can't wait for you to get it! \w/

I'm really sad to say that I had to wait for this to leak to get the whole thing, because I switched banks and STILL haven't gotten cheques, and haven't been able to sort out my credit card thing, cause I'm a student living in poverty, lol. But I am happy to say that I'll be buying it the second I do get some (and probably a shirt), so don't worry!

First of all, I can't get enough of Shards of Love, holy hell... talk about packing a punch to start an album. I'm absolutely in love with this thing, so I'm sure I'll end up using this as a dumping ground for all my great things to say about it, so I'll get the discussion going.

First, as per usual, the lyrics are fantastic. And since I know where most of them are coming from AKA which experiences, it makes it even more cool. To me it almost seems like a combined, saddened reflection on the ideas from the first two albums, being the failed relationship and all that stuff from Pursuit, and then the frustration of home, boredom of day to day life... both seem to be a look back through experienced eyes, whether its from the passing of time, the trip to Korea, stuff like that. Not to try to psycho-analyze you to death or something, but when put in the context of the other albums, it just works amazingly.

Second, the mix of styles works perfect. Of course this stuff is way more doom and slow than anything Woods has ever done... yet is still totally Woods. Not sure many bands can pull that kind of thing off. I also love how the two sort of more ballsy tracks Cargoload and Halves are together, then to make way to You Are Here and Retrosleep... its a really creepy juxtaposition. I kind of make a big deal of the placing of tracks in an album (especially a long one) cause it can either flow great or totally ruin momentum, I find, I think its done really well here.

Third, production. Fantastic. Production on Woods III wasn't really as good as I would have wanted it, to be honest (though I love that album to death) and a lot of that has to do with my expectations from Pursuit, which sounds like, well, gold. Anyway, this album is totally crushing... I actually had to turn my subwoofer DOWN for it! So there you go.

Fourth, of course, the songs fucking rule. The vocals (which I think are the strongest out of any Woods album yet, I think, the variety is great) the lead lines slay, Bryan, and of course the rhythm section is totally rock solid, just as I saw live. The fact that you didn't just keep my attention but kept me enthralled the entire way through a fucking 78 MINUTE long beast is pure insanity.

DG, you should be proud as hell, this is bloody awesome. Not to mention each full length is over an hour long without a bad song, and Winamp now tells me that between all four records, there's 4 hours and 2 minutes of Woods stuff now in existence... not exactly a simple feat, clearly. Honestly, this band, the song writing, all of it continues to be an inspiration to me as I keep writing, slogging through school, and one day hope to break loose a bit, record some stuff, play some shows, and get some of my music out there (when the time comes), especially of course living in Ontario, and all that. The Woods dream is alive and kicking, I can't wait to see some of this live, if you guys can't make it to London, I'll have to bust my ass up to Toronto. All the best! \w/ :kickass:

(Oh yeah, one complaint... maybe it was cause there wasn't enough physical space on the disc... but you should have made Halves and Quarters, ironically, twice the length... that song is too good to only be 2 and a half minutes :p)

Wow. Dauden pretty much put to words everything that I wanted to express =)

Also, speaking of merch. Is there one place with all the stuff that's available right now? There's threads when new shirts come out, but which ones do you still have?

Also, speaking of merch. Is there one place with all the stuff that's available right now? There's threads when new shirts come out, but which ones do you still have?

Good question! It's on my list of things to do...

We have t-shirts, whoodies, and scarfs back in stock... but I will be posting a NEW 'Updated WOODS Merch' Thread asap this week, including some brand new items due to arrive on Tuesday (toques, the threaded longsleeves (new! never done before!), plus a couple rare, fun, one time only type items in limited quantity...you'll see soon, etc...), and some package deals on the back catalogue of CDs. Soon! :kickass:

I agree that the vocals (in all respects- lyrics, delivery, sound) are probably the best of any Woods album yet. I've listened to the full album at least two or three times a day since it arrived on Thursday. It's fuckin great and has a lot of meaning/character to it, which is nice- compared to a lot of other albums.

I totally agree with the up on production quality, really great!

also I might add, you know an album is amazing when you can drive for 6 hours straight and play ONLY that CD the entire way there without getting tired of it! And as David (and others) have mentioned the double album is like two different experiences, W4 is the mellow (yet still heavy as hell) and it sort of knocks you down emotionally. And then as your getting up you get this hwando bearing the name "Slaughter of the Seoul" right through your skull, knocking your ass back down again but ten times harder. Although, I won't lie. I've frequented my listening more to W4 than Necramyth, but that's just mainly because of my fall/winter playlist. I don't do a lot of music in the vein of Necramyth during that time.

Longsleeve? That actually sounds wicked, since I have a tee and a toque, and don't need a whoodie since I have 7892344789 sweaters already. Sweet!

Good question! It's on my list of things to do...

We have t-shirts, whoodies, and scarfs back in stock... but I will be posting a NEW 'Updated WOODS Merch' Thread asap this week, including some brand new items due to arrive on Tuesday (toques, the threaded longsleeves (new! never done before!), plus a couple rare, fun, one time only type items in limited quantity...you'll see soon, etc...), and some package deals on the back catalogue of CDs. Soon! :kickass:

Awesome! =D

I almost bought Woods II at HMV friday but I wanted to get it straight from you instead. Can't wait to see the package deals.

Got the CD today, and I must say, it sort of surprised me. While lyrically, I'm not overwhelmed by it, everything else in it is just beyond amazing. David's vocals have really improved and became a lot more 'powerful' than before imo, and Bryan's guitar solos in songs like "Dirty Window Of Opportunity" are just phenomenal. I still much prefer Woods I and II, but this easily surpasses Woods III for me. The only drawback to the album, as I've mentioned already, are the lyrics. I loved all the Woods albums for their really good lyrics, but I'm really disappointed with Woods IV's. It's the only thing holding me back from loving this album as much as Woods I and II.

Also, as a side note, I remember David mentioning that the songs got better as the album progressed, but I disagree with that. I found myself loving the first five or six tracks a lot more than the last bunch, with the exception of "Mirror Reflection & The Hammer Reinvention" and "Don't Open The Wound / Skywide Armspread". Overall though, it is still a great album, and the bonus Necramyth CD is really good as well.

You must be farther away... All pre-orders were packed up and shipped on the same day we got delivery of the CDs from the factory: Friday November 13th. Bryan B and I hustled to stuff envelopes and brought three massive boxes of pre-orders to the post office that very night. It'll show up soon! Can't wait for you to get it! w/

Shit! So seemingly everyone has this except for me. I'm surprised that it was shipped out 6 business days ago and still hasn't gotten here. That is, of course, not WoY's fault and is a big FAIL for Canada Post ONCE AGAIN! You should've shipped it from England David it would've gotten here on Thursday or Friday! LOL I am STILL holding out I've only listened to "Shards of Love" 3 times, "Wet Leather" a hundred times or so, and "Mt Pleasant..." about 5 or 6 times. I don't know how much longer can I hold out though!!!!! :zombie:

Joel

Shit! So seemingly everyone has this except for me. I'm surprised that it was shipped out 6 business days ago and still hasn't gotten here. That is, of course, not WoY's fault and is a big FAIL for Canada Post ONCE AGAIN! You should've shipped it from England David it would've gotten here on Thursday or Friday! LOL I am STILL holding out I've only listened to "Shards of Love" 3 times, "Wet Leather" a hundred times or so, and "Mt Pleasant..." about 5 or 6 times. I don't know how much longer can I hold out though!!!!! :zombie:

Joel

i havent got it yet either, im in calgary