The Official WOODS OF YPRES - W4: "The GREEN Album" Thread.

Friendly suggestion for when listening to Woods IV: Play it on Windows Media Player, go to the Now Playing setting with the crazy color effects, then click Visualizations, then select Battery, and pick "Green is not your enemy". Awesome green effects that really set the mood of the album well, and it's cool to look at! Name's fitting too, green definitely isn't out enemy, it's a great album!

My review of it on my blog will be posted one week from tomorrow!

The wait is over!!!!! It has arrived!!! Listening now only the second track in its going to be an emotional journey for sure!!! :kickass:

Joel

It's really, really good. This is the first Woods album I've heard... and there's so much emotion in the music... I'm pretty much amazing. The only band I can think they sound like is Type O Negative, which is one of my favorites...

According to MA, Necramyth has split-up since main man Pedro unexpectedly quit the band... this makes me sad :( Obviously you're not in South Korea and going to be drumming with them any time soon... but the new album is freaking amazing, seems a damn shame to release something that good and then suddenly throw it all to the wind.

According to MA, Necramyth has split-up since main man Pedro unexpectedly quit the band... this makes me sad Obviously you're not in South Korea and going to be drumming with them any time soon... but the new album is freaking amazing, seems a damn shame to release something that good and then suddenly throw it all to the wind.

Pedro Chae (Urlok) is NECRAMYTH. He's probably the most macho-metal-madman in all of South Korea, and in terms of metal and the metal lifestyle, he's one of the most passionate people I've ever met.

He now lives in Madrid, Spain with his wife and new baby. He was transfered there for his job not long after I left the country (Note: Pedro is Korean, but was born and raised in Spain. If I understood correctly, he didn't move to Korea and start learning Korean until his twenties. Spanish is his first language, English is his second, Korea is third. Smart guy.). I spoke with him a few weeks ago. He said "Come to SPAIN man! We can jam! ...and drinking!" (quote). He tells me he has a new band started, post-NECRAMYTH, under a new name. Like me, he's the kind of guy who's always writing riffs! I will be making plans to take him up on his offer at some time, at least to visit. It would be an epic reunion! I was joking with him how he is like my "Global Metal Guide" to the world. It's like, I show up in a new country and he'll be there to meet me at the airport and take me around! He was once my guide, teaching me how to live Korea and one day he'll be showing me the good life in Madrid, Spain.

I miss the NECRAMYTH guys, and often long for my bittersweet days in Seoul (...It seems I just keep filling old voids with new voids. Not a bad strategy really. I'm always living something new while missing something and someone from the past). We can never go back of course, as all four of us NECRAMYTH guys are in different places now, but for 12 months, we were together as a band, sweating through 2-3 rehearsals a week, playing shows almost every weekend, writing songs and working towards the recording...being a real, gigging, LIVE band! + Soju, beer, BBQ, pig-spine soup, metal karaoke, and lots of laughs (always loosely translated and probably often lost in translation, but always hilarious).

"Slaughter of the Seoul!!!!!". I worked my tired, shitty, bleeding heart back to life on the drums with the help of those guys and this band. I can't imagine my life without them. Korea and NECRAMYTH were great to me, and I'm really happy to be able to help bring the NECRAMYTH album to a whole new audience as part of the limited edition W4 release, and eventually as its own CD package sometime soon. Maybe if it really catches on, we can hope to reunite on stage at WACKEN or something in 20 years. :heh:

Until then, please keep spreading the word! Thanks!!

D - \w/

That was a great post, good to hear your thoughts on how you feel about the Necramyth thing now. I was wondering, how did you come across Necramyth in the first place? Maybe you mentioned it in an older post, but I haven't seen it.

I was wondering, how did you come across Necramyth in the first place?

One night I went through the whole South Korean metal band list at:

http://www.metal-archives.com/

...and took notes about each band that was still 'active' in the Seoul scene. I remember noting that NECRAMYTH was "heavy, with good production!!!" or something like that (and I still have those actual notes!). I figured that if a band had a myspace page, it would be likely that they had someone in the band who spoke some English. I sent them a message on myspace, which was intercepted by their manager 'Ria', asking if they knew of any bands in the scene who needed a metal drummer. Ria set up a meeting between us and the rest... is a good story for another day. :heh:

How "go-getter" of you. Interested in hearing that one eventually. I should have my money order for Woods 4 out in a day or two, it depends if my friend is working or not.

What a monster of an album. I've only been able to get through it once and I'm still not sure what to make of it - definitely needs more (focused) listening on my part.

As for the Necramyth, it is very easy to get into and I'm loving every minute of it. Ravenouz Ritual in particular is fantastic. Only reason I played it more than the WoY CD is that I was looking for something brutal haha.

Awesome story DG, that's great. I knew Pedro was the mastermind behind the thing, was really hoping he was somewhere and still writing. That's quite fantastic. And what an epic reunion that would be - in Madrid of all places! Definitely let us know if something comes of that!

I still haven't listened to the Necramyth album after a week and a half of owning the thing. It's not sunny or warm enough for thrashy death metal here anymore. I'll have to put it on sometime soon and just deal with the consequences of my season-defying music selection.