The Official WOODS OF YPRES - W4: "The GREEN Album" Thread.

Every album Woods of Ypres produce, I become more and more impressed with them. I can see the growth in the band and definition of unique sound, which is just simply amazing.

Carl Begai says some nice things:

"I’d also like to draw attention to Woods Of Ypres’ new record, entitled The Green Album. There’s a review here to give you the long and short of why the album kicks ass, but I think it’s important to stress the fact that the band is still an independent act four albums into their – or rather, frontman / founder David Gold’s career. It’s rather mind boggling to tell you the truth given the quality of the music that he’s issued over the years. Near as I can figure Woods Of Ypres has consistently scared the shit out of bigger name labels with each release because the music is on the brazen side of epic. Think Opeth with more beer in the system. Either that or they’re intimidated by Gold’s all or nothing approach, which consists of sending out promo packages that weigh more than your average full-to-the-brim one liter cup of coffee. And every cent for sending said packages comes directly out of Gold’s pocket. He’s become something of a Canada Post legend, known for showing up at the counter no matter what the weather with armloads of packages going out to all corners of the world whenever a new slab of music is in the can, better versed in all things sent Par Avion better than the folks that work there. His tenacity should be rewarded. Support indie music, check Woods Of Ypres out here and buy yourself some Canuck doom."

http://carlbegai.com/2010/01/20/in-praise-of/

Thanks Carl! :kickass:

Canada Post Legend,

DG - \w/

Oh, it doesn't really make too much of a difference, I just thought it was a little odd to have the titles actually printed on the real album/disc one way and then changed later... Yeh know?

No disrespect of course.

More...

READ THIS!!!!

" #3 Best of 2009: WOODS OF YPRES - WOODS IV: THE GREEN ALBUM David Gold isn't making black metal anymore. Contrary to instinct, this is a good thing. A tenfold improvement over the transitional (and often clunky) Woods III, The Green Album (ooooh...I bet Baroness is pissed) fully establishes the band's metamorphosis. Wrapped in a doomy, earthen, semi-gothic vibe, this is an instant underdog classic. Gold's textured vocals and engrossing lyrics are the driving force, but musical nods to Agalloch and Crimson-era Sentenced run rampant, as does a serious World Coming Down fetish. The tributes are expertly self-contained, though, as this is a brutally honest and individualistic achievement of heavy metal songcraft. Mad props for the oboe, too."

http://community2.metalreview.com/blogs/editorials/archive/2009/12/31/jordan-campbell-s-top-20.aspx

Beat out Devin Townsend, here, too! :)

DG - \w/

"It’s the perfect album for a rainy day. Gloomy as fuck but it wears it well, The Green Album might be their best yet." I certainly don't agree with most of it, but here's a "good" review (3.5/4)...though hardly a well-written one. :)

http://ow.ly/1sUpA

IMO, the lyrics are one of the highlights of the album, vs. typical pointless, meaningless, vague and undefined "in the shadows" black (or doom) metal lyrics that all sound the same and don't amount to anything.