The Omega Experiment FREE EP!! (progressive metal, ambient, Townsend)

Thanks All!!!

Synths- My best bud plays them, and we write the synth parts together. He has a Korg x-50, most of which the tones come from. We do however, use Reason for some stuff like choir and even Ableton once or twice. Most of this was just all on the fly as we were writing/recording, just experimenting. The bigger stuff, like at the end of Furor...that is just layering 4 or 5 different patches on top of one another. Also, for that part I believe I duplicated the mixdown of all the key tracks, and put a stereo flange effect on the copy. So, together...it just sounds huge. But yeah, sooo much of this was done on the fly, I literally have to meditate to remember what we did lol. I will be posting youtube vids soon with some production things...

Vocals- Well, the tone comes from the best mic ever, Shure SM7B. However, some stuff was done early on with my Audio Technica 4040...I think that's the model number, old silver thing. It was before I bought the SM7B. But as far as plugs and gear and such, the mics go directly into my Mackie VLZ mixer, which on the auxiliary I have a Symetrix cl-100 compressor, and an Alesis Quadraverb for some boost. This all goes into, yes...an M-audio delta 1010 D: I have the aux at about 40%...so not much doctoring going in. I have a template for all my vocal tracks that goes Waves REQ 6-band>Waves Rvox>Waves L1>Cakewalk delay (on most). Without a preamp, I need alot of boost cuz the Sm7B is a dynamic mic. I have all vocals bussed, and on that buss I have an FX send with some sort of UAD modeled limiter plug that has gorgeous dynamics. I have to keep it pulled back though, or else it levels EVERYTHING out and there are NO dynamics. For the some of the huge ass choir parts and choruses and such, I have that same template duplicated about 16 times, and if I have a three part harmony, I track every part 4 times, two left, two right. So if I have a two octave three part harmony, that's 16 tracks. Yeah, it's ALOT of work. But, the end result is worth it. I don't believe in just tracking something once or twice and putting some doubling effect on it. Never sounds right to me.

Hope that answers SOME questions lol.

and dude I just love the part 1:28 to 2:04 in Karma. Totally up my melodic ally. And yeah the rest is awesome as well!

Goddamn I'm glad SOMEBODY finally appreciates my classic rock/metal influence! People seem to only be clinging on to Furor. LOL, yes, that is my Queensryche/Styx/Devin influence coming out hard.

After giving it another listen with proper, post-morning-tea ears, I totally rescind my previous comments. Fucking love everything about it - especially Karma and Paramounts more "Sunshine And Happiness" vibe, if you get what I mean.

I appreciate you taking the time JeffTD!! And yes, I get what you mean about Sunshine and Happiness. I think what you thought were synths was actually guitar though! :p If you're talking about the part I think you are...

And Ola...full album is coming late spring! At least, that's the goal I'm shooting for. The more I learn about production, the better it gets...so I have to keep updating it lol. I think I nailed it pretty hard with the EP though. From here on out, it's just wrapping up a vocal or two, and mixing...

thanks for information! do you use lowcut or hiboost on sm7, mind share your eq settings.

here is something i did with sm7, sorry about video sync. 250 hipass 2x1176plug, sonic maximiser to boost top (should add de esser)

Last edited by a moderator:
Paramount was actually a bit influenced by The Neverending Story's end credits.

I have the presence boost on...on the actual mic. Then for internal cuts/boosts, I have hi-pass up to about 150hz. I think 250 might be a bit much...at least for my music. Takes away from the warmth. I also have a high shelf starting at around 10k.

So, I bought an Agile Septor 7 with a Bare Knuckle Painkiller in the bridge. This is the first clip I've made with it. Will prolly turn it into a new song. I used Nick Crowe 8505, TSE 808, LeCab with ASEM Recto and Fredman impulses. For bass the main thing for tone was using the TSE BOD, which is like a damn Godsend. :D Thanks Onqel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the music I would normally listen to but I still found myself bouncing along on my swiss ball :heh:
Also great job on the production especially considering it's a bedroom recording.
Is that also where you did mixing? No room treatment ??

I am a fan of the clean vocals and I get what you were trying to do with the synths but I'm not a big fan of synths myself but then again maybe after another listen tomorrow who knows :D