The Opeth Countdown, Revisited ('09 Edition)

Opeth songs don't have to be long to be amazing.

Do you really think I suggested that Coil wasn't "second best song on Watershed" only because it's not as long as Hessian Peel, for example? Are you crazy? Every single song on Watershed, to me, are better than Coil. Not saying it's a bad song itself, but there are way better in my fucking opinion.

#25 - Bleak

except for the hilarious crying/dying rhyme, this is a really good track. i especially like the extended acoustic section here, like at one point you think they're gonna crash in with metal but they don't, idk. not really one of my favorite songs but i always enjoy it every time i hear it.

#24 - The Drapery Falls

even though we are all incredibly sick of hearing this in every single live set, it is a great song on its own merits. only problem for me is that the ebow part (before the vocals come in) is too long, both times. it's a minor complaint. the way the song builds, the growls don't come in until later, it's very well done. also when they come back into the 1st chord progression at the end, it really brings it all together, awesome

#23 - By the Pain I See in Others

the weakest of the 5 main metal tracks on deliverance - but still a total ass kicker, i guess you can infer my opinion of the deliverance album. the most common complaint i've heard over the years is that it's "disjointed" or whatever, doesn't have the flow of the other tracks, and yes this is true. but still, each part individually is awesome. the 1st "rise to submission" part is insanely crushing. i feel this song has some of opeth's best riffs, but they're not really connected to each other thematically which is a shame.

#22 - Isolation Years

i love this song, it feels like the long lost damnation track. the lyrics walk the fence between cool and trite, but imo they end up on the cool side. basically the chorus to this is one of the most ~*~beautiful~*~ things they've done.

#21 - The Night and the Silent Water

the first metal part is imo THE prime example of how awesome opeth's earlier dual-guitar style could be, the riffs flow perfectly into each other, and it just kicks ass left and right. also the acoustic part that follows is THE prime example of their ~mystical~ acoustic sound in the early dayz. also i believe i don't even have to mention the build-up at the end. imho this is easily the best of opeth's "early" songs.

#20 - Face of Melinda

despite containing some of the worst attempts at rhyming in music history, this is obviously a great song. the main heavy riff is, like, the best thing ever.

#19 - The Baying of the Hounds

a fantastic GR track. the opening is actually fairly uninteresting, but as soon as it hits the 1:54 riff it really gets going. so many awesome parts to this, the james bond part, akerfeldt's solo, the long acoustic break near the end, and of course the ending. prime opeth right here

#18 - Demon of the Fall

well iirc this was #1 on my last list, but as you can see it no longer holds the title. obviously i still love the song, it is a pure slab of ownage, and it's by far my favorite song from MAYH. kind of takes a different direction with the acoustic part and then the "run away" thing, but still very good. the part starting at 2:15 is one of the most devastating moments they've ever done.

#17 - Ghost of Perdition

this is my favorite GR song, and i think many would agree with me on that. pretty much every riff is just perfectly thought out, and the way the song flows reminds me of the SL/BWP era, but it has a definite proggier feel to it then their earlier stuff. the ending where they bring back the "aaaahh" melody is perfectly climactic.

#16 - Benighted

definitely one of their best "mellow" songs, the acoustic first half is just haunting, and then when the drums come in it takes on a whole new atmosphere. just to show how much they progressed from the last album to this one, compare this to the amateurish-sounding "credence" - that is quite a difference.

^
YES, really powerful song.

But, yeah I am gonna agree with the people who where talking about the technicalities in still life. When I heard that album I thought they where really trying to come up with diminished riffs and melodies. I dont know how to describe it properly, I guess it seemed more like a good attempt rather than a success at making some evil sounding shit. Some of the songs are really cool but overall it aint such a good album, in my opinion.

I can already taste it: top 5 will be a bloodbath (pun definitely intended) between Deliverance and Still Life albums. :worship:

#15 - Heir Apparent

this is the only song from their last 2 albums that made the top 15. what can i say, i think most will agree it is a devastating crusher. really they haven't had any songs this "deathy" since like demon of the fall, i guess. one thing i personally would have changed is the effect on the vocals, like the way it has that pre-reverb, idk what to call it. the solo on this song is the only akesson solo that i actually like, and even then it isn't nearly as good as akerfeldt or lindgren's best solos. but basically every riff in this song dominates, if they can keep putting out at least one song of this quality per album then i will be fully sticking with them

#14 - To Rid the Disease

even though this song is ranked rather high, i will admit i have issues with the lyrics in the beginning. the first rhyme for example is just embarrassing. but whatever dude, this is EASILY made up for by one of opeth's most awesomely melodic choruses. yeah yeah i know it's jacked from the sörskogen song but fuck that, this song is way better anyway. i always loved the guitar solo in this song, it's very simple but great. also, the backing vocal part that goes "i have looost all trust i had in yoouuuuu" = period

#13 - Godhead's Lament

this one reminds me a bit of the baying of the hounds (or actually, vice versa) because well, it's the 2nd song on the album, and also the first riff is the worst part of the song. but who cares, the riff starting at 1:41 = one of their best fucking riffs EVER, period. soon after it gets more melodic and more or less stays that way for the rest of the song. many people have agreed that the acoustic part here is one of their best ever, it is absolutely gorgeous.

#12 - A Fair Judgement

first i'll get my complaints out of the way: the piano intro is too long, and the sludgy riff at the end is too long (actually it probably could have been cut out altogether). but fuck that, this is THE prime example of the opeth song that starts as a ballad but gets heavier. the "telephone" guitar part is understated and awesome, and then of course i don't even have to mention the solos. this is easily my favorite solo section of any opeth song ever.

#11 - The Moor

some assmunch on this forum said that if this wasn't in the top 10 he would shit a brick, so ironically here it is at 11. lol i swear i'm not just doing this to spite some dumb kid, i actually planned the whole list out before i started the thread. obviously this is a classic song, it doesn't get much better than the first 6 minutes. rest of the song is great too but i have my personal favorites and that's what the top 10 is for

#10 - Master's Apprentices

some say this song's riffs are too simple, it's not prime opeth, but those people can go jerk off to MAYH, this song is fucking INCREDIBLE. the opening and the first few parts is the most brutal thing ever. and then the way it goes into one of their best acoustic sections ever, with the chorused "aaaahh" backing vocals, it's just perfect. also, 2:33 just might be my favorite akerfeldt growl of all time.

#9 - Harvest

back when their "mellow" tracks were more folky and less proggy, this is just a time-stoppingly good song. the singing, the guitar playing, it's all very simple but perfectly executed and the atmosphere on this track just drips with awesome. steven wilson is a master producer (even though porcupine tree sucks) and this one of those moments when his style just perfectly gelled with the band.

#8 - Closure

the one song on damnation that gets semi- riled up. it also just has a very different feel from the rest of the album, the way it opens with the vocal harmonies doing straight-up block fifths, it's very primal. and then the way it builds up into those exotic-esque blowouts (twice!) is absolutely hypnotizing. only problem: if you've been following this list you know i am not a fan of gimmick endings, but it seems that akerfeldt is a huge fan so this just randomly cuts out at the end (get it? get it? huh? CLOSURE?)

#7 - Moonlapse Vertigo

the :47 riff just might be my favorite single opeth riff. and this whole song is just brilliant, the way it starts with clean singing, and then that first growl just WHAHHTHAT blows your head off. not much really to say about this that the song itself can't say - it's one of the quintessential still life songs.

#6 - The Leper Affinity

the first 4 or so minutes of this song is orgasmically good, one of akerfeldt's all-time best solos, just pure ass kicking. and then the "loooooost are days of spring" part, come on, that is just so great, god damn it. obviously the best song on BWP, there never really was any competition in my mind.

#5 - Hope Leaves

probably the most "emotional" of all opeth's songs. by that i mean it sounds like he's actually singing about something significant, idk if that's actually true or not. this song is just so sad and beautiful, there's really nothing like it. also in this song (much like the rest of damnation) you get a real sense of the groove of the band, lopez's brilliant drumming just locking it all in. yes, i am aware it was constructed through many takes in the studio, but the illusion is very powerful.

#4 - Serenity Painted Death

this is the perfect still life song to me. it has perfect flow, perfect riffs, it's just the most whole example of what they were doing artistically at the time. as much as we make fun of the part with the pinch harmonics and "rapping," it really is an insanely crushing part. also this song contains what i feel is the best solo section on the still life album. i guess i have to mention - gimmick ending. but fuck that, this song is too good for me to care about minutiae like that

#3 - Wreath

this song hits like a fucking tsunami and it doesn't let up, it just has this feeling like it just keeps barreling forth, i can't really describe it, like with each new section you would expect the intensity to die down a little but it just does the exact opposite, until by the end you are totally razzled. the few short "mellow" parts are awesome and they pull you out just long enough so that when they throw you back in, it's that much more jarring. god damn this song stomps so much ass

#2 - Windowpane

well this is my top pick for damnation, and my top "mellow" song overall. it really couldn't be anything else. this song is just so intricate and delicately constructed, everything is in exactly the right place. right away from the opening groove, like it's 12/8 i guess but it's felt in a really weird and cool way, thanks to lopez's brilliance on the drums. idk, for some reason i always felt this was their most "mature" song, i don't really know what that means but it sounds right

#1 - Deliverance

yep. it's deliverance. years and years of listening to opeth and i've been pretty settled on this as my favorite for quite a while. first of all it is just awe-inspiring in terms of the way it's constructed, it's like a narrative. and keep in mind this is one of opeth's longest songs (4th longest, in fact). there are no other songs in rock music that are THIS LONG and also so logical, without one wasted moment. yes, you can quote me on that - even my favorite "long" songs of the past, close to the edge, thick as a brick, etc., yes they are awesome but they are not without their moments where the pace and the energy slows down even just the slightest bit. deliverance does not slow down. the 13.5 minutes go by in what seems like half that time. so many amazing things about this song, the way they play with the 7/8 and 4/4 rhythms, the haunting melodies, the deliriously brilliant drumming, and let's not forget the solos in this song - certainly one of the very best for both akerfeldt and lindgren. i really can't heap enough praise onto this song. oh and obviously the whole ending sequence is a stroke of genius. there was never a question in my mind as to what would be #1 on this list

so folks i can't believe i just wrote all that bullshit, i guess i might as well rank the albums in my humble opinion:

1. deliverance/damnation (i'm counting them as 1 album because they SHOULD HAVE BEEN GOD DAMN IT)
2. still life
3. blackwater park
4. morningrise
5. ghost reveries
6. orchid
7. my arms your hearse
8. watershed