The Opeth Countdown, Revisited ('09 Edition)

#40 - The Apostle in Triumph

some pretty good shit here, the best part is the clean riff in the very beginning imo. has the usual orchid problem of not all the riffs being consistently great, so it loses some momentum in the middle. but the whole "aaaahhh" part at the end is very awesome.

#39 - Blackwater Park

the famed "heaviest opeth song evor" or at least that's what the consensus seems to be on this board. obviously the 1:47 riff is one of the best things ever, but this song feels a tad too stretched out to me. specifically, the beginning goes on for too long, and the middle clean part goes on for too long. while i respect the whole "eye of the storm" feel of it, it still feels kind of random, like it belongs in another song. the endless riffing in the second half of the song is indeed quite crushing.

#38 - In My Time of Need

the weakest of what i consider the "full-fledged" damnation songs. the stuttered rhythm of the verse is cool, and it has the typical gloomy vibe of the rest of the album, but it doesn't have the oomph of some of the album's greater songs. the "and i" chorus is always just a little disappointing every time it comes around. but at this point i am kind of nitpicking, i mean i definitely enjoy the song.

#37 - Under the Weeping Moon

most of this song is really, really great - the beginning riffs and then the awesome "psychedelic" part in the middle, then the build-up. but i always felt that the ending riffs don't quite live up to the rest of the song.

#36 - The Funeral Portrait

the main riff is actually kind of dorky but i like it for some reason. i know i say the word "momentum" too much, but i really like this song's momentum, like how it just seems to keep barreling forward. and of course, the solos are very awesome. also, almost no clean vocals (until the very end), i always thought it was interesting that they packed the "heaviest" material toward the end of the album.

Man, why are you telling me that? I should be able to express my reactions... :rolleyes: Just pointing out the fact that it is ridiculous. It's clear that everyone will disagree at least on one song in his list. Stop telling it. Everyone could do that, but who cares. Anyways.

You ought to as well but what I dont understand is that mentality you have about not wanting people to disagree with the list. Where is the fun in this thread if you cant talk about it?

Anyways what I really wanted to say is........ holy shit! .... BWP ranking this low?o_O that cant be!

:guh: Great song, but I'm curious, how did that song, out of all other songs, get you into Opeth?

I was in composition class, and we were being asked by the teacher what kind of composition we were interested in writing, and my friend brought in that song as a kind of 'template', and I just loved it. Of course, back then I still had "babyvagina ears" (pretty sure that's the phrase I saw on this forum) and couldn't take growls so it took me a while to get into Blackwater Park (which was obviously the first album I bought since it had Patterns in the Ivy on it).

So yeah, 2 minutes of acoustic guitar and piano got me hooked.

lol i didn't even realize that, wasn't thinking about it in terms of albums at all, just a song-by-song basis. but ya, mayh is hella overrated

I love BWP (song) but I too have some problems with the song, its verrryy 4/4, everything is repeated in sets of four and multiples of two, every riff repeats four times except the last few riffs, which I think is six (correct me if I am wrong), but shit its a fucking good song, its like Mike mastered minimalism art an album away from Still Life...insane.

With that being uttered, YOU mr original poster are completely out of tune. Everybody knows that "Credence" is one of their very BEST ballads and since music can be discussed objectively, I will arrest you on this one.

:lol:

Beat it.

#35 - Harlequin Forest

a solid but not phenomenal song from ghost reveries, most of this song is pretty good. the acoustic part into the "harlequin forest" chorus is hands-down my favorite part of the song, very awesome. but for some reason, i never liked the 8:18 riff, always felt it was a weak riff to begin with, and then on top of that it's repeated way too much. also another strike against it is the ending - uhhhh didn't they already do this waaay better on deliverance?

#34 - In Mist She Was Standing

one of my favorite *openings* of any opeth song, just the way the first few riffs unfold with each other is so awesome and like... vikingesque. from there it devolves into a fairly typical early opeth song, all good riffs and a pretty good overall sound once you get into it.

#33 - Advent

the first half, i.e. until the big acoustic part = awesome. the rest is good too but it's hard to follow the monstrous first part of this song. also, survey the slooooooopes, PERIOD. although i never really liked the 9:59 riff for some reason.

#32 - Forest of October

my favorite orchid song. it's like they took all the best riffs from the sessions and piled them into one song. can't really rank it a lot higher because of the usual piecemeal style, like the rest of orchid, but damn those riffs are mighty fine.

#31 - Burden

i like this less than i did when i first got watershed, and was like BLOWN AWAY by it or smth. the initial infatuation has worn off, but it is definitely a solid tune. probably has my favorite clean singing of any opeth song, just judging on the basis of singing alone. the guitar "duel" is cool i guess but the fact that it's all pre-written makes it come off as a little canned. also, the novelty ending = too long, i mean come on guys.

Kinda refreshing to see the entirety of MAYH presented inbetween #65 and #43. Always felt it was a bit overrated among metalheads.
No.

Still Life and Blackwater Park are way more overrated here and elsewhere. Both bore me to tears in some places, especially Still Life.