The other Maiden concept album....

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I was reading a Metal Hammer special Maiden issue a few days ago (not as good as the Kerrang Legends issue awhile back, but not bad either) when I stumbled on something interesting. The referred to one of Maiden's albums as a concept album, and it was not Seventh Son.
Now, I'll tell you, I've been a Maiden fan since Number of the Beast came out. I've read tons of interviews and what have you, ranging from the Hit Parader, Circus Days, right up to the Internet days etc. Never once did I hear anybody refer to this album as a concept album. Why on Earth it never dawned on my before, I cannot say....totally strange. But when they mentioned it, there it was right before my very eyes.
So, rather than reveal it, I think I'll ask for your thoughts, and see if I'm the only idiot in the world who was blind to this all these years.
Again, I'm a diehard Maiden fan, but for whatever reason I never picked up on the concept of this album. To be fair it's more of a theme, but it is still something that more or less escaped me.
This is probably a no brainer for you Kittybeast, and several others.....but I'm curious to see who gets it first.
Maybe you ALL know, but lets see.......

I'll put the answer up tomorrow if someone else doesn't reveal it first.

It doesn't have a linear plot really, but it most definately could be called a concept album. Last, not every single song is involved in the "concept," but the vast majority are (VAST) and it could be argued, with a little imagination, that all are.

What say?

Personally I don't feel Maiden ever made a true "concept album". Having a bunch of songs on the same subject (a theme) does not a concept album make, IMO. A true concept album has a storyline throughout, with a beginning and an end. Like an epic poem or a novel.

That said, I can only guess at the other album they considered a concept album. Number of the Beast? Piece of Mind? Somewhere in Time? All of those had songs that you could tie together if you tried.

I'm sure someone can answer the Wiz with confidence!

Iommi/Huges - FUSED

I agree with your comments Trans, so really it's not a concept album altogether. But when you somebody posts it here, and you take a close look at it, you'll probably think, "Oh, no shit...."

It's a no brainer after you know....you'll see.

Also, the fact that you didn't get it straight out of the box at least gives me a little faith that I'm not a complete idiot. Again, I'm a diehard Maiden fan, but I never considered the "theme," of the album in question....Still, it's there plain as day.

ElectricWiz said:
Also, the fact that you didn't get it straight out of the box at least gives me a little faith that I'm not a complete idiot.
Well, don't gauge "idiocy" on me, because many have called me an idiot and sometimes they were right! We all have our brain farts. I'm curious if someone is going to chime in with the answer right out of the bat. Then we'll both be idiots, Wiz! We can form a club or something. :D

NP: Deadsoul Tribe - January Tree

I'd say Somewhere in time... Powerslave would be close, but then it has ROTAM which really has nothing to do with the feel or theme of the rest of the album. That's my take.

it's somewhere in time

each song is "somewhere" in time.... that's not really a concept as in "a story" but I recall Steve Harris saying it was the concept of the album.... :)

Maiden never made a concept album. SSOASS has a lot of songs intertwined around, but it's not really a concept album per se. I remember Bruce interviewed at the time and he said he was amazed of the coincidence in thought because both he and Steve were independently making songs around the seventh number, maybe afterwards they decided to fine tune the plot.

And don't ask me why but I've always felt "Killers" strongly united also by a common plot, so I'll go for that one. Unless you want to count the debut with 'Phantom Of The Opera', 'Transylvania", 'Strange World' as a 19th century horror show.

The debates on what it takes to make a concept album are all interesting and welcome. So, you could call this a theme album, or a concept album, depending on your personal requirements. In any case, as I said above, it never really dawned on me.

The album is KILLERS.
Nearly every song deals with some aspect of murder, or a murderer.

Wrathchild - About a man on a search for vengeance.
Murders in the Rue Morgue - Speaks for itself. Based on the famous story by Conan Doyle.
Another Life - About Suicide and reincarnation.
Innocent Exile - About a man accused of murder.
Ghengis Khan - Instrumental, but said personage was notoriously ruthless (and murderous on a large scale).
Killers - Obvious.
Twilight Zone - Not so obvious, but about a ghost who is tempted to bring his lost love to the "other side."
Prodigal Son - Presumably based on the biblical story. I can't remember if there is murder in this story or not, but believe there might have been?
Purgatory - Again, not obvious, but purgatory is the Catholic holding pattern (heh) for souls who have murdered others and otherwise.
Drifter - The only one I can't peronally (and obviously) link to murder, a murderer, or some aspect thereof.

So there it is. Go ahead and agree or disagree. I was a little shocked though, as I'd never considered the connection. Remember, this was Metal Hammer talking, not my discovery. So, if it's a bit skewed, blame them. Haha.

I think there is even an argument to be made that Innocent Exhile, Twilight Zone, Purgatory, and Drifter tell a little story in a plot like way, but that's my addition.

Anyway, Killers.

ElectricWiz said:
The album is KILLERS.
Nearly every song deals with some aspect of murder, or a murderer.

Damn I'm good :p

You forgot to add the fact that 'The Ides Of March' the great instrumental intro to 'Wrathchild' is based on the assesination of Julius Caesar. Beware of the ides of March as the Bard would have said ;)

Wyvern said:
Damn I'm good :p

You forgot to add the fact that 'The Ides Of March' the great instrumental intro to 'Wrathchild' is based on the assesination of Julius Caesar. Beware of the ides of March as the Bard would have said ;)

Whoops, right you are, and I did mean to put that in. Rats.

Platinum Maze said:
Murders in the Rue Morgue was an Edgar Allen Poe story, no?

Whoops again. And right you are. Sorry, going off memory there. But I was forced to read the story in High School. I remember being annoyed with the Deux Ex Machina nature of the outcome. There was an escaped ape or something commiting the murders. As if the reader could have figured that out.

I disagree on Killers

whoever said that obviously doesn't know what a concept album is... it's still a killer ;) album though :headbang:

imo, Maiden has no real concept album.. Seventh Son & SIT come pretty close but are still no real concept albums... anyway, who cares if the songs are good ! :D

Dodens Grav said:
Let's just call it a thematic album and call it a day. :p

Haha, yeah. Well, I knew this would be controversial, but mostly because what constitutes a concept album is so subjective. Yes, a theme album it is. For what it's worth, my whole point here was that I never (obvious as it might be) really honed in on the theme of that album, though I've listened to it hundreds of times. It is indeed, largely, about Killers.

T.I.E. said:
anyway, who cares if the songs are good ! :D

And that's the bottom line!:headbang:

NP Mesmerize - 'Field Of Heroes'