The pains of man

''Health leaflets published by the NHS and other groups are available in doctors surgeries. Many of these leaflets target women only issues such as breast and cervical cancer. Visitors to doctors surgeries in the UK will be hard pressed to find even a single leaflet targeting men only conditions. Some of the leaflets are obviously persuing an 'agenda' . The leaflet 'Your Health: A guide to services for Women' published by the Department of Health has a whole page on Domestic Violence: "Domestic violence includes emotional, as well as sexual or physical abuse of women in their homes by partners" it then goes on to give the phone number of Women's aid and Rape crisis lines. This is classic 'male-bashing' in it's purest form. The leaflet makes no mention that serious studies into this area have shown that women are more likely to commit domestic violenceagainst their partners or children. The leaflet contains no phone numbers to help men who experience domestic violence, or to help women who are abusive or violent to their male partners. ''

''In addition because women are 'victims' they are then entitled to women-only swimming pool sessions, women-only car parking, and women-only library sessions and these already exist is various cities in the UK. We can compare the spending on men-only and women-only groups in Cambridge UK using 1992 and 1996 annual grant figures:

Women /Lone parents (read mothers) 1992 1996

Women's Resource Centre (training and other) 176K 0.25M/year(estxx)
Women's refuge centre (choices??xx) 60K (estxx) xx
Choices (Incest counselling) 26.9K 5040
Rape crisis centre 500 1146
Corona House (Women's hostel) xx xx
Women's aid 20.9K xx
Lesbian line 960 xx
Women and homelessness 14K xx
Gingerbread (lone parent i.e. mother) 1000 12.9K
Black women's support group - 19250
Women-only swimming pool sessions xx 575K(Parks)+498K(abbey)
Social services dept (xx women's groups) 1.0M
Social services/Health cmte (xx women's groups) 2.5M

Men

Cambridge Friend (Gay men) ''

''Newspapers regularly feature articles by such journalists as Polly Toynbee (Independent) that whine about men. The newspapers do have a press complaints body but these complaints will only be accepted if you are personally mentioned in the article or the complaint is perceived to be in the public interest. For example, one recent complaint the Press Complaints received was about two articles in the Yorkshire Evening Post: "Battle to free child snatcher-sentence on dad too harsh, says campaign" (8-Mar-96) and "Court ruling looms - Mum in fight for children" (4-Jan-96). The father and the mother both committed the same offence. They travelled with their children to another country against a court order. Same offence, different headline in the newspaper, and completely different tone in the body of the text ''

''Family courts have a powerful default of awarding custody to the mothers in 91% of the cases. This is regardless of the mothers conduct, or of her ability to support and care for the children. A great deal of research has established high correlation's between fatherless families and child poverty, family violence, drug abuse, teen pregnancy, school failure, and juvenile crime. ''

''The labour party has a shadow-minister for women but not a shadow-minister for men. Tessa Jowell the labour MP is quoted as saying "discrimination is wrong wherever it occurs". Fine words which are never backed up by action when discrimination occurs against men.''

''Material published by women's groups and by the state use 'victim-speak' which present women as victims and men as abusers. As a result resources are diverted away from more needy areas to satiate the feminist demands. For example statistics show us that on the streets young men are the highest probable group to suffer attack, but we are always told that young women are the most vulnerable. ''

''When it comes to the defence of the country, men are expected to sacrifice their lives for 'Queen and country'. During World War I xx men died, during World War II xx men died. In the interests of equality should we send only women into future battles until the same number of women have been killed as the men during the two world wars?
It is interesting to compare the financial treatment of a war veteran injured in the Falklands war by horrific burns, with the fact that laws have been changed to give women large compensations, from the Ministry of Defence, for the loss of earnings as a result of pregnancy when they have voluntarily entered into contracts of employment which regulate this.

The soldier, Simon Weston, was paid nothing in compensation except for his normal pension. The mother was paid £150,000 (typically) for unfair dismissal. In fact the total service personnel employer liability claim for 1994/5 was £14.3M with 298 settled claims where e.g. injury and damages could be proved to be the fault of MOD negligence. However the total refund given to the approximately 300 women who were pregnant totalled £50M. ''

read the full page at

http://www.coeffic.demon.co.uk/descrim.htm#top

I hear ya brother!!!!

Did you know testicular and prostate cancer is grossly underfunded in the uk compared to breast and ovarian cancers, even though both genders share the same death rates from their respective diseases.

christ thats really bad... Im almost ashamed to have boobs, we have women only swimming sessions in our pool in Widnes but not many people actually go there there are like plasters and things floating in there.

About rape: I think women raped by men still highly outnumber men raped by women. So higher funding seems obvious.

About wars: Men in politics and decision-making still highly outnumber women, which suggests men send their fellow men to wars. The argument that women should go to war and die there sounds ridiculous.

About health care funding: It should be equal, I agree. Unfortunately, in Hungary social and health care is underfunded, compared to a lot of other areas. Thinking of the USA, spendings on war must be several times as much as spendings on health care (though it's just an idea, I can't back it up with figures).

About women-only things -- Centres for abused women and children shouldn't be accessible to men, there's a practical reason there, that is, these women are afraid their abusers might track them down. I have a friend in the US who worked for such a shelter, and she wasn't allowed to speak about its location to anyone. The rest (such as women-only libraries and pools) are funny. As far as I know they don't exist in Hungary, well, I've heard about women-only and men-only days in thermal baths, that's all. But then they are bathing naked there so I guess that's fair enough.

Yeah, the media can influence people pro and contra, that's obvious. I don't think how the court decides after hearing both parties has much to do with how the whole case appears before the public in the majority of the cases.

I would also give more money to women left pregnant and losing their husbands in wars than to injured veterans. Women were left without a choice there it seems, plus they had to take care of the baby too, which is costly enough, and everybody fucking knows that.

This article (as far as the parts linked here cause I didn't follow the link) sounds like those currents that try to deny historical facts such as the holocaust and start to argue about jews "deserving" it. I'm not saying there're no violent women or that there shouldn't be any shelters for abused men. I'm just trying to say it's important to consider historical facts and reasons before coming up with such demagogy.

All the men here, you know how you treat your women and how they treat you. You still speak as if you were being continuously abused by them, by womankind as a whole.

I'm neither ashamed nor proud of being a woman, I try to live with it.

Since I saw The Fight Club insomnia is connected to xerox machines for me. If you can't sleep, you start to feel like a copy. Of a copy's copy.

Evry society has its little sacred cows, neurose's, tabboos and whipping boys. At the moment in the west, we've changed the tables where the old whipping boys are now sacred cows, ethnic minorities etc all the usual suspects who are beyond criticisim and then the others who are considered fair game, or who are treated unfairly in the allocation of funds etc. George orwell came out with all this shite a long time ago, someone has an idea to redress the balance, the pigs come along and turn the idea into dogma and then use it royally fuck anyone who stands in their way. The only thing these days, is "we" pat ourselves on the back at how fair and equal our society now is, bollox to it all, where that discharge cd?

You see, this is what I can't feel, how equal our society is now. I come from a poor family and I fucking feel I won't die a millionaire. If my parents had stayed alive, they might have been able to have a decent way of living, but now as each of us stands alone, we're fucked. And it hasn't got much to do with me being the sacred cow now, I've never ever felt any advantage of being a woman.

Maybe it's indeed different over the iron gate :D