THE PALE HAUNT DEPARTURE - Reviews (CLOSED & DEAD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From www.pahardcore.com

Overall Score: 89/100
Technicality: 89/100
Originality: 87/100
Vocals: 91/100

Review:
I'm sure a ton of people don't like this band, but I do. The mood they set is similar to most other bands I like. An overall eerily gothic sound that is an artificial depression.

They have pounding heavy bass parts, melodic flowing parts, and doom influenced interludes. The vocals are either a deep growl or clean soulfull vocals. The lyrics are mostly regarding death, depression, and loss of love. So I guess it's safe to say that these guys use music as their psychologist, which is better than spending the 200/hr.

This isn't anything groundbreaking or amazing, but I did enjoy it quite a bit, and will be listening to it plenty in the future. It's just my kind of music, what can I say.

Well, They can't all be glowing, but like "To Welcome the Fade," I'm not one of those people who will only post the good reviews. I like people to read as many opinions out there, as one persons dislikes might be something another person loves. Not to mention, this is filled with holes and strange statements... So here's a very nice backhanded compliment. :)

-------------------------

From www.uraniummusic.com - Review by Graham Landers

I must preface my review with the notion that this band, though they have written a handful of good songs in their career, haven’t been able to win me over being a United States band and playing a dominant European style. I know this statement comes off as sort of hypocritical because what fan of metal, from the states for instance, doesn’t listen heavily inspired European metal? My point exactly, but you must adhere to certain stylistic aspects of your territory especially when delving into the realms of such love-inspired poetry that even the most Shakespearean would find it at least a little bit cheesy. Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge love supporter but keep it away from my metal!

November’s Doom hail from the windy city and play dark metal that is as close in comparison to Morgion as you could get without being the same band. The only difference is, as stated above, the vast majority of ND’s songs could be passed off as love letters put to doom metal. With their songs geared more towards the female target market, it’s no wonder the band has teetered on a fine line between either well known or just flat-out not liked. One way or another, every album by November’s Doom makes it into my hands whether willfully or not. Mainly due to the strong visual aspect portrayed throughout their often lavish layouts, The Pale Haunt Departure, November Doom’s latest opus is no exception. Although this time the music finally lives up to the packaging. Arguably the best artwork to boast a cover so far this year and by far the highlight of ND’s catalog.

The most notable addition to the ND fold is the use of clean vocals more often and before you jump down my throat, I am aware that the singer clean sung on “Silent Tomorrow” from 2000’s The Knowing. But, the clean vocals have developed a lot since last we heard them almost five years ago. The album starts off with the title track and like all of their heavier songs before it, your typical doom song with both screamed and loudly talked vocals. A chorus that you remember long after the album has played through, but nothing new to ND fans. “Swallowed by the Moon” is closer to where the band is heading on this record. They hint at clean vocals which immediately catches my attention in that this could be the album they finally develop the singing to its full potential and by the next song this hope is realized. “Autumn Reflection” is the first time in the band’s career that they tread into the waters of the mainstream by crafting a noteworthy single-esque track. Rich with melody along with its rock band verse-chorus-verse-chorus framework, this is also the best song they have ever composed. The Dead Leaf Echo has its moments once you get past a couple minutes worth of cheesy love talk over what would’ve been a really good acoustic passage to sing over. I guess I will never know what it is with doom singers that they feel the need to talk all poetic whenever an acoustic part comes along.

November’s Doom finally has my respect after three full length albums and one ep no less. Hey, you know what they say, “it’s better late than never.” The music is on par with the best of the genre, though I’d still choose any album from My Dying Bride’s catalog over Novermber’s Doom. But, being a close second to the mighty MDB isn’t a bad thing at all. 2005 already seems like a strong year for metal and we are only two months in with great albums already by Graveworm, Pungent Stench, Jesu, Strapping Young Lad and now November’s Doom. What’s next, a good In Flames album? Hell, we haven’t had one of those in about six years.

Novembers Paul said:
From www.pahardcore.com

Overall Score: 89/100
Technicality: 89/100
Originality: 87/100
Vocals: 91/100

Review:
I'm sure a ton of people don't like this band, but I do. The mood they set is similar to most other bands I like. An overall eerily gothic sound that is an artificial depression.

They have pounding heavy bass parts, melodic flowing parts, and doom influenced interludes. The vocals are either a deep growl or clean soulfull vocals. The lyrics are mostly regarding death, depression, and loss of love. So I guess it's safe to say that these guys use music as their psychologist, which is better than spending the 200/hr.

This isn't anything groundbreaking or amazing, but I did enjoy it quite a bit, and will be listening to it plenty in the future. It's just my kind of music, what can I say.

"I'm sure a ton of people don't like this band...." Well gee, thanks for pointing that out right from the start LOL I'm sure there's tons of people who don't like tons of good bands out there =)

I like when you get a reviewer who seems like he's apologising for liking something haha

Novembers Paul said:
From www.uraniummusic.com - Review by Graham Landers

I must preface my review with the notion that this band, though they have written a handful of good songs in their career, haven’t been able to win me over being a United States band and playing a dominant European style. I know this statement comes off as sort of hypocritical because what fan of metal, from the states for instance, doesn’t listen heavily inspired European metal? My point exactly, but you must adhere to certain stylistic aspects of your territory especially when delving into the realms of such love-inspired poetry that even the most Shakespearean would find it at least a little bit cheesy. Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge love supporter but keep it away from my metal!

November’s Doom hail from the windy city and play dark metal that is as close in comparison to Morgion as you could get without being the same band. The only difference is, as stated above, the vast majority of ND’s songs could be passed off as love letters put to doom metal. With their songs geared more towards the female target market, it’s no wonder the band has teetered on a fine line between either well known or just flat-out not liked. One way or another, every album by November’s Doom makes it into my hands whether willfully or not. Mainly due to the strong visual aspect portrayed throughout their often lavish layouts, The Pale Haunt Departure, November Doom’s latest opus is no exception. Although this time the music finally lives up to the packaging. Arguably the best artwork to boast a cover so far this year and by far the highlight of ND’s catalog.

The most notable addition to the ND fold is the use of clean vocals more often and before you jump down my throat, I am aware that the singer clean sung on “Silent Tomorrow” from 2000’s The Knowing. But, the clean vocals have developed a lot since last we heard them almost five years ago. The album starts off with the title track and like all of their heavier songs before it, your typical doom song with both screamed and loudly talked vocals. A chorus that you remember long after the album has played through, but nothing new to ND fans. “Swallowed by the Moon” is closer to where the band is heading on this record. They hint at clean vocals which immediately catches my attention in that this could be the album they finally develop the singing to its full potential and by the next song this hope is realized. “Autumn Reflection” is the first time in the band’s career that they tread into the waters of the mainstream by crafting a noteworthy single-esque track. Rich with melody along with its rock band verse-chorus-verse-chorus framework, this is also the best song they have ever composed. The Dead Leaf Echo has its moments once you get past a couple minutes worth of cheesy love talk over what would’ve been a really good acoustic passage to sing over. I guess I will never know what it is with doom singers that they feel the need to talk all poetic whenever an acoustic part comes along.

November’s Doom finally has my respect after three full length albums and one ep no less. Hey, you know what they say, “it’s better late than never.” The music is on par with the best of the genre, though I’d still choose any album from My Dying Bride’s catalog over Novermber’s Doom. But, being a close second to the mighty MDB isn’t a bad thing at all. 2005 already seems like a strong year for metal and we are only two months in with great albums already by Graveworm, Pungent Stench, Jesu, Strapping Young Lad and now November’s Doom. What’s next, a good In Flames album? Hell, we haven’t had one of those in about six years.

Ah yes.....lineups change, productions change, artists change, but the one constant with Novembers Doom is the backhanded compliments and the MDB comparisons!! LOL

I guess when you read this review it is in fact a "positive" review, especially if the point here is that the guy was not really too impressed with us in the past, and with this new cd we've sort of won him over somewhat. That's saying something, right?

I do get a kick out of the fact that he says we have three albums, and we haven't had a "clean vocal" song since Silent Tomorrow came out five years ago.....I take it this guy never heard or knew about To Welcome The Fade?? That was our fourth album, came out three years ago, and had a pretty fair amount of clean singing. Kind of hard to really comment on stuff like this guy does when he doesn't even fully know our back catalog.

Anyhow, cool reviews so far.....my only real complaint is the stuff about "adhering" to the sound of your homeland, and the whole bullshit about being an american band playing a dominantly European sound. So stupid. I hate that sort of thinking. Not just pertaining to my band but in general. I realise that some sounds and styles become more associated with certain areas and scenes, but it's not like there's something in the water that makes it that way. And any kind of music, especially rock/metal, should not be limited due to it's geographical location. I'm sorry but being American doesn't mean I should have to throw elements of Deicide and Pantera into my writing just to make sure I don't tread too much on the so called "european" musical copyright LOL Just silly, thats all :loco:

My thoughts on this one... We sound NOTHING like Morgion, The title track is FAR from a typical "doom" song, and hell yes I write for the ladies. hahaha! It worked for Tom Jones!

I'm still shocked people place this in the "doom" catagory! I guess I'm too close to it to see it.

I concur on all points. And hey even if we did write for the ladies, what's wrong with that? Oops I forgot, it's "metal", we're supposed to be showing off how brootal and macho we are with our brethren males hahahahaha Man, I listen to Abba for fucks sake LOFL

It just kind of goes back to Paul's statements in the past about "lazy journalism" and what have you. Everyone is entitled to an opinion for sure, but if you're going to consider yourself to be a journalist and reviewer worthy of putting your words and opinions out there for people to read and consider, then you really ought to know your shit and be able to back it up too. Saying we're so identical to Morgion......no offense to Morgion at all, but that's just ridiculous. We sound very different, especially on this new cd of ours. I'm sure they'd agree too. That's like saying In Flames, Opeth and Edge of Sanity are all the fucking same. They're all from Sweden, and they all have clean vocals/heavy vocals, harmonized guitar parts, clean and heavy guitar sections, etc......but anyone with half a brain knows that those bands truly sound nothing like, other than all being swedish metal bands with similarities in only the most general sense. There's this bad habit of lumping all the american doom bands together into this very general category, when in fact the bands sound very distinctly different from one another. And often these reviewers who pull that shit are people who in fact don't know much about nor really appreciate this style of music in the first place...It's that sort of thing that's made us tend to want to distance ourselves from the scene more and more over the years.

And I'm only going to say this once, and then I promise I'm done with it on this thread.......the MDB comparison thing? That's just so ridiculously overdone now, in my eyes. Anyone who listens to this new cd and actually feels that it's "MDB cloning" or compares it to MDB in any way, please just take your copy of the disc and sell it to a used cd store, because you really don't have any clue of what the fuck you're listening to then LOL

I am!! There's some amazing arrangements and a high level of musical genius behind Abba's music, and when you consider how intricate some of the pieces are, and the time when that stuff was conceived and performed, it makes it that much more impressive to me. Alot of the lyrics and image of course was cheesy, but that's okay, I think it's enjoyable. I'm a fan of any music that I find memorable and well done, regardless of what genre or era it's from, period.

So watch it, mister smarty-pants LOL :D

Lunar Hypnosis (lunarhypnosis-cjb.net)
My first experience with Chicago’s Novemebers Doom was already quite a while ago with their debut album ‘Amid It’s Hallowed Mirth,’ and since then I’ve just heard random songs on online radio’s, compilations, and so fourth. In the beginning Novemebers Doom played in an ultra slow doom metal style that was bordering on funeral doom even, but it seems since then the band has changed their sound considerably. For the most part it seems like the band has taken their sound in more of the Opeth direction with most of the doom elements fading away. The similarities to Opeth are all there really. We’ve got the heavy melodic songs with growly and clean vocals, acoustic guitars nicely spliced in, and of course there’s even one mellow acoustic song, which is something you can find on all Opeth recordings.

Take a song like ‘In the Absence of Grace’ for example. The song starts out with a nice acoustic guitar intro, but then suddenly explodes in speed and to these ears of mine it just sounds like something taken straight from Opeth’s ‘Blackwater Park’ album. But don’t get me wrong, they do it good, but if I wanna hear the Opeth sound I’ll just listen to Opeth. Aside from this obvious Opeth influence the only difference I can see is the light usage of some synth on a few places during this recording, which is something Opeth has never done on one of their metal records. Also it seems like the biggest selling point for this record is that Dan Swanö produced the record, and that James Murphy mastered it. Well I honestly couldn’t care less who produces it as long as they do a good job (which Dan certainly did), and frankly I could care even less about James Murphy mastering the recording.

Still this isn’t a bad recording, but I always had a thing for that first Novemebers Doom album, and its kind of unfortunate to see them drifting far away from doom metal. If you enjoy Opeth then you’ll have a ball with ‘The Pale Haunt Departure,’ but if your looking for doom you’d best look elsewhere.

February 17, 2005
By Blackwinged
6 of 10

Greg B. said:
My first experience with Chicago’s Novemebers Doom was already quite a while ago with their debut album ‘Amid It’s Hallowed Mirth,’ and since then I’ve just heard random songs on online radio’s, compilations, and so fourth. In the beginning Novemebers Doom played in an ultra slow doom metal style that was bordering on funeral doom even, but it seems since then the band has changed their sound considerably. For the most part it seems like the band has taken their sound in more of the Opeth direction with most of the doom elements fading away. The similarities to Opeth are all there really. We’ve got the heavy melodic songs with growly and clean vocals, acoustic guitars nicely spliced in, and of course there’s even one mellow acoustic song, which is something you can find on all Opeth recordings.

Take a song like ‘In the Absence of Grace’ for example. The song starts out with a nice acoustic guitar intro, but then suddenly explodes in speed and to these ears of mine it just sounds like something taken straight from Opeth’s ‘Blackwater Park’ album. But don’t get me wrong, they do it good, but if I wanna hear the Opeth sound I’ll just listen to Opeth. Aside from this obvious Opeth influence the only difference I can see is the light usage of some synth on a few places during this recording, which is something Opeth has never done on one of their metal records. Also it seems like the biggest selling point for this record is that Dan Swanö produced the record, and that James Murphy mastered it. Well I honestly couldn’t care less who produces it as long as they do a good job (which Dan certainly did), and frankly I could care even less about James Murphy mastering the recording.

Still this isn’t a bad recording, but I always had a thing for that first Novemebers Doom album, and its kind of unfortunate to see them drifting far away from doom metal. If you enjoy Opeth then you’ll have a ball with ‘The Pale Haunt Departure,’ but if your looking for doom you’d best look elsewhere.

February 17, 2005
By Blackwinged
6 of 10

Thanks for posting this Greg!

Well, he's right. We are drifting away from the boring, stale, shitty doom sound. The "obvious" Opeth influence... Hmmm... We've been together longer then Opeth, and doing the whole acoustic-heavy-growl-clean vocal thing longer too... Kinda like Celtic Frost, huh? Interesting how people hear the things they do. Gotta love "internet muscles."

Greg B. said:

February 17, 2005
By Blackwinged
6 of 10

Yes I love the oh so "obvious" Opeth influence we have. Because you know, Opeth own the full patent and all rights to this style of music. Noone ever played "heavy melodic songs with growly and clean vocals, acoustic guitars nicely spliced in, and of course there’s even one mellow acoustic song" before Opeth came along. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Opeth, I think they're great and they have become one of my more favorite bands in recent years. But all these "obviously Opeth influenced" elements were becoming more and more apparent in our songwriting long before Opeth became the musical force it's known for today. And I think part of what attracts me to Opeth in the first place is that they write music that I can relate to, because it's similar in vibe and feel to what I write myself. It just irks the ever loving shit out of me that these so called "reviewers" make these presumptuous statements, like they know for a fact that we've stolen our ideas from Opeth. It's fine to say "fans of Opeth would probably like this", I have no problem with that, because yes I do think we can appeal to fans of that band because there are the musical similarities. I'm just tired of constantly being accused of being such unoriginal ripoffs, because it's not fair. I mean fuck, if you're going to compare us to bands at least get them right. I myself can hear much more similarities to bands like Katatonia in some stuff we do now, even though again it's not that we set out to consciously sound like them, but I'm at least aware that there's elements that could be compared between the two. For someone to point that out, I could at least see where they're coming from....

"But don’t get me wrong, they do it good, but if I wanna hear the Opeth sound I’ll just listen to Opeth." Well yknow, that's a damn shame that you are so fucking narrow minded that you feel like that. There's alot of really good bands out there who are doing a musical style very similar to what we're doing, and if you're going to dismiss them all because you feel that there's only ever room for one band on your playlist to occupy a certain broad style, then you must have a pretty narrow scope of music you listen to. If I were to think that way, then I'd have pretty much not listened to anything that My Dying Bride, Anathema, and Paradise Lost did when they came out, because it was all pretty much done by Black Sabbath and Celtic Frost already anyhow. Yes, that's a ridiculous statement, I agree, and that's my point.

I love the bravado and balls with which these people review this shit, it amazes me how ballsy people are nowadays through their anonymity on the internet...statements like "Well I honestly couldn’t care less who produces it as long as they do a good job (which Dan certainly did), and frankly I could care even less about James Murphy mastering the recording." Hey I agree, a good production job is all that matters, not the name of the person who did it. But it's just funny in the manner in which this person makes these statements, so "bold" and disregarding of people like James Murphy. Go up to James' face and tell him how much you could "care less" about the hard work he did on this album, I'm sure he'll appreciate it. What qualifies people like this to advise others on what is good and bad and what is musically proficient or not? I've been a musician for most of my life, and I've played with and known some amazing musicians in my time, and I don't think that I have the right to sit here and post reviews of other people's work. And what have you done to show for yourself, "blackwinged"? Nice name, by the way. At least when I criticise someone like you, I'm not hiding behind a silly dungeons-and-dragons name...you know my name and face.

Ultimately, I have fun critiquing the reviews, as a sort of "turn the tables" thing that we have fun with on this forum. But I'm probably going to have to start removing myself from this shit a little bit, because I'm getting tired of the little narrowminded morons who've deemed themselves journalists worthy of being listened to, simply because they get free promos from the labels and know how to use a computer. "The Pale Haunt Departure" is a great fucking record, and I'm not afraid to say that. Because I know this record kicks ass, and if some nutbag who comes up with nice little epic monikers for himself like "Blackwinged" is hung-up on a sound we made on an album over ten years ago, and hasn't payed enough attention over the years to see the natural progression we've made musically (even BEFORE "blackwater park" was released, thank you) then I'm sorry for you. If you don't like us, then fine. But you'd better educate yourself a bit further musically before you continue to throw around this "opeth clone" bullshit, because frankly that's getting even more tired than the "mdb clone" thing.:hotjump:

And yes yes, I know, I'm being "defensive" again, before someone decides that I need to be reminded of that fact. Well YOU go out and bust your ass writing and recording an album you put your heart and soul into, just to watch all the legions of geeks with no musical talent or journalistic credibility, sit there and tear down what we've done without the proper knowledge and credibility to back up what they say, and watch as all the other idiots read these reviews and actually put stock into them. I'm getting tired of this whole metal scene and it's narrowmindedness, I think on the whole it's being overrun with a bunch of overly opinionated know-nothings. My goal in life is not to try and please these dopes, I can find better things to do with my time. Starting right now.

im tired of the so called opeth iinfluences... if it has growls and acoustic parts it has the opeth sound... lame... this album is killer and ive been listening to it a lot, it's furious yet calm. IT'S A MUST BUY

Status
Not open for further replies.