The PC-user specs thread!

I have to admit that I'm getting pretty sick of constant Mac mention in inappropriate situations.

"So I want to get this girl's phone number, ri-"
"You like totally need an iPhone, dude... [straightens turtleneck]"
"That has absolutely nothing to do wi-"
"iPhone! iPhone! If she knows you don't have like eight of them and she still sleeps with you she's a dumb slut!"
"Erm..."
"Mac Pros have totally bitching cases."
"What does this have to do with anyth-"
"Snow Leopard."
"What?"
"Snow Leopard. It's like Leopard but snowier, because Apple users have creative vision and turtlenecks don't make any fucking goddamned sense when it's not cold outside."
"Would you kindly fuck off?"
"Snow Leopard. Yeah..."

Jeff

exactly! my response when the mac elitism arose in a similar thread asking about PC optimization in the OTT

i could have 3 or 4 high performance desktop PC's built for the price of one 17" MacBook Pro.

people love to say that PCs cant run programs as well as Macs, but now that i've optimized my settings for ProTools, I run sessions with dozens of tracks, multiple plugins and track guitars for DI (with amplitube running) with no latency at 128 samples. oh yea, and paid about $600 to get my machine built from the ground up 3 months ago (3.0 intel processor, 4 gig RAM, ASUS mobo, nvidia video card to support dual monitors).

$2000 for a macbook pro? the extra money must be for bragging rights

well i could only find one link, but it has all the critical settings you need for optimizing windows for audio production.

http://www.pcmus.com/TweakXP.htm

of course its not all inclusive, as there are other things specific to what DAW and version youre using. like i had to uninstall IE8 and revert back to IE7 because PT isnt compatible. i have no idea what my internet browser has to do with PT, but whatever... the shit works flawlessly now.

Running an AMD Athlon 64 FX60 with no problems here.

Then again, my DAW is written in assembler, so in terms of speed, it stomps the living shit out of anything else host-based.... and it doesn't care what internet browser (wtf?) I have installed...

I'd also recommend:
http://www.xp-smoker.com/ Good program to tweak out XP.

I don´t think you need to go so picky on the system setup if you have a decent computer. Besides shutting down the crap on startup using "msconfig" you don´t need to be so crazy about it, like disabling Aero or most non-vital services.

no, youre right. most things on the page are not necessary. he goes way overboard and gets everything for the ones with slower computers, but he says at the top, only the "First things First" and the "Background Services" are truly necessary.

If you just use TinyXP, you've got many of these tweaks pre-done for you, and a lot of the crap cut out to begin with.

The priority to background services one is really interesting, and one I've never used, so I look forward to it.

Honestly the best 'tweak' I ever did was creating a dual-OS system, with one that handles all the feature-rich stuff like media, gaming, internet browsing, spreadsheets, anti-virus etc. and the audio OS installation being extremely barebones with only drivers and crucial software rolling.

I'm also glad this came back up. I'm on the market for a new PC. from what I have heard, the i7 processors are some of the best out there for audio. can anyone chime in on this? I reeeealy like looks of the multi-threading technology and the turbo mode. due to my current financial situation, I am in need for a new pc pretty badly, but don't have a ton of cash up front (but have some higher paying recording projects coming up soon). I have dell financing, so I was thinking of going with a customized studio xps 8000 with i7-860 (2.8Ghz) processors, 8GB dual-channel DDR3, and 1024 dedicated nvidia graphics card. I can get one of these right around a grand. anyone have any opinions? would I be better off going with the 4gb memory that comes with it, then upgrading it myself so I can select exactly what brand I want? (ie, corsair). I just want something with lots of balls and room for me to "grow into it". sorry if I'm "asking what has already been discussed", but I haven't seen much, if any mention of the i7 and/or dell computers in general.

I have to admit that I'm getting pretty sick of constant Mac mention in inappropriate situations.

"So I want to get this girl's phone number, ri-"
"You like totally need an iPhone, dude... [straightens turtleneck]"
"That has absolutely nothing to do wi-"
"iPhone! iPhone! If she knows you don't have like eight of them and she still sleeps with you she's a dumb slut!"
"Erm..."
"Mac Pros have totally bitching cases."
"What does this have to do with anyth-"
"Snow Leopard."
"What?"
"Snow Leopard. It's like Leopard but snowier, because Apple users have creative vision and turtlenecks don't make any fucking goddamned sense when it's not cold outside."
"Would you kindly fuck off?"
"Snow Leopard. Yeah..."

Jeff

I only mention it when someone is bitching about his shitty PC not working. It's really all you can say in that point (or at least if you want to answer with one 3-letter word)

I've heard Win7 working well for some of my friends. Thumbs up for Microsoft.

I spared the forum the gruesome details of a few shitty Macs not working, but if I hadn't would I have seen hordes of business-suit-wearing pasty white guys telling me to switch them with PCs?

Jeff