The photography thread

A few pics from month 3 of my monthly themes. This month is "hot". I've been wanting to try these for a while. I guess I'm still a pyro-kid at heart that still likes to play with fire. :lol:

6929392343_b9c8ef8f45_z.jpg

6929392697_bca9ff5588_z.jpg

6929392407_b2e4c7ff9c_z.jpg

6783274524_782530f638_z.jpg

I'd be glad to help you out, but I'm in the same boat, and reluctant to spend the money, though I complain about my cheapy tripod all the time.

yeah man, it seems like you have to spend 150€ + to get a good one.
i've looked at some 30-100€ tripods and they ALL have the same shitty
quality, WTF!?

i think i will buy this one:
[ame="http://www.amazon.de/Giottos-MTL9251B-Aluminiumstativ-MH5001-3-Wege-Schwenkkopf/dp/B001G5ZJE0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330179197&sr=8-4"]Tripod[/ame]

awesome pics btw!

cheers
S.

Really nice panoramas!

Here's a new one from me. Tried to make the pic as clean as possible but a bit of character to it. Will be used as a promo pic. Also working on a second image for the band.
The band is "A New Way To Flavour". Check out their video "Anchors" on youtube.

anwtf_clean_web_small.jpg

^wow. How are you processing your pictures make them this crisp and clear? I am guessing these are processed? Of course I am not expecting you to give away your secrets but a couple of hints would be cool. Nice work!

I hope I don't come off like a smartass here.. But no matter how much post is done to the photo, it all starts in the camera. Use a good camera, take your photos with razor sharp focus, and then a little in unsharp mask in PS is all you need

+1 on everything brian said (but, hey, I am also interested into some infos Carlsman ;) ), just realized that again that
the light and focus help sooo much a few days ago.
A friend of mine lent me his 50mm lens and I was walking around the city in the sun with my girl and took a pic of her.
The light was really cool and the lens is pretty sharp, the pic itself wasn't special, just my gf sitting around, eating
ice cream but the quality of the photo was one of the best I've ever shot.
Just did some little touch ups and played around with it, but it was sooo easy to make it look even better.

Like working on a mix with great musicians, good sources help alot.

P.S.: spotted the pedobeard again...

I hope I don't come off like a smartass here.. But no matter how much post is done to the photo, it all starts in the camera. Use a good camera, take your photos with razor sharp focus, and then a little in unsharp mask in PS is all you need
Obviously, and I also agree with the shit in, shit out theory, but I also can see that he is doing something cool with these images that I don't think are achieved with taking a good photo. I was interested in that technique.

Glad that you like my photos!

Brian is right about what he said. You also need to have a plan with your photo, how you want the end result to look. The lighting is very important to achieve to look I'm going for. I usually light with one light in front of the subject, pointing down at an angle. And then I have two rim lights at around 45 degrees behind the subject on each side. I'm also shooting in raw format to get the highest quality possible. Also trying to work with an aperture around 7.1-8.0, I think my lens is sharpest around that area.

Also, I'm using a Canon 7D with the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and hotshoe flashes. I've chosen hotshoe flashes to be able to shoot anywhere and be able to carry all my gear by myself and because they are affordable.

What I first do in Photoshop is to clean up the skin a bit, getting rid of spots, zits, bruises etc. Then I smoothen the skin a bit. There's many ways to do this, google it and see what fits you the most. I've techniques from different skin smoothing techniques and making my own way of doing it. After the smoothing is done, I bring out the detail in the image. You can do this by using the high pass filter, although I use another method that works better for me. After that I do some dodging and burning, this changes the image the most and is the most fun part of the retouching, I think. To make the eyes pop a little I use the "Selective Color" adjustment layer, make the mask black, set the blending mode to "Linear Dodge (Add)" and then mask out the iris of the eye. Then you need to lower the opacity quite a bit. After that there's some color correction and hue/saturation layers. I also do some other minor stuff to get everything right. And of course, you need to sharpen the image, and I do that with the "Unsharp Mask" in Photoshop.

I'm not the greatest photographer or retoucher, I've only been photographing for 1,5 years, before that I hadn't even thought of being a photographer or buying a camera. So I'm still learning and trying new techniques for everything. And when I first started out I only wanted to do sport photography. It was only a couple of months ago I started taking portraits and began to experiment with retouching in photoshop. I do enjoy taking photographs but the postprocessing in photoshop is, without a doubt, the most fun part for me.

I hope this helps a little.