Cameras

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Hey guys, I was going to post this in the photography thread but felt it may be out of place there.

My girlfriend wants a digital camera for her bday coming up. I want to get her a badass camera. Not just the average, run-of-the-mill, current digital cam.

Something like 45mm or .... close.... I really don't know shit about camera models.

I know there are a bunch of photographer geeks around here.

Can anyone suggest me something for preferably under $300? (if that's even possible :lol:)

:kickass:

I am having a lot of fun with a Panasonic GH1 that I bought earlier this year. You can get adapters and use lots of old lenses that are super cheap (but you wont have automatic features and image stabilization). Lately I've been using an SLR Magic lens I got for $20 via ebay. I bought it to shoot 1080p video mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently picked up a used Nikon D5100 from a local seller on Craigslist that came with the body and three lenses (35mm f1.8, 55-200mm, and a 18-55mm) and love it. Got the package for $350 which I thought was an exceptional deal. Figured it be a pretty good entry into something other than a point and shoot.

Still have a lot to learn, but fortunately my brother lives close by and is quite adept with a DSLR and takes some stunning pictures.

I've been doing a lot of research on cameras in that price point too, though I really wanted to buy new with a warranty, so the Ultrazoom category was the best bet, and I determined the best models to be the following:

Panasonic DMC-FZ200, $480 - Best model overall, but out of my price range

Canon SX50 HS, $370 (though not for long) - The middle ground in still photo quality, video only at 24 fps (rather than 30) which can make recording fast-moving sports and such a bit jerky, but I'm not planning on recording anything besides guitar/drum/studio vids and I prefer the cinematic look of 24 fps anyway, so I bought this one and love it!

Nikon P520, $330 - Almost as good photo quality as the Canon, but pretty shit battery life (~200 shots vs. ~315 on the Canon), though it's cheaper; video at 30 fps

Nikon P510, $255 (manufacturer refurbished) - Predecessor to the P520 and a great value, BUT, the rear LCD doesn't swing out and thus can't face forward, which was a deal-breaker for me

$300 will get you either a very old higher end model or a used low end recent model. "Badass" is essentially in the $3K+ range. You can possibly get a real deal on a $500 DSLR camera but it's still going to be a bottom of the line model.

That said if she wants to get serious she should make up her mind about the equipment that she needs rather than you making the choice for her. So tell her that you are supporting her passion, will go shopping with her and will contribute $300 to whatever she wants.

Would be a little rude to give her gf a used item.

Buying a loved one something used of greater value than might possibly be difficult to afforded if new is not "rude" if the loved one understands that concept, e.g. my wife's motorcycle. She was extremely overjoyed with it despite it having slightly over 20,000 miles on it ;)

Like Flat Fifth Fury says: $300 isn't even entry level for "badass" - that usually starts around the Canon 5D Mark III (or respective Nikon model) area. It all depends on what she wants to do with it though. If she just wants to take pictures of nature, buildings, friends, etc. almost any cam will do.

I got my Canon EOS400D with the kit lense in good condition for 150€, after checking the used prices on ebay.com
for example, there are quite some good cams available for 300$, sure, a Canon 5D Mark III is badass, but if she's
just starting even a 400D is a good start.

Actually, in my opinion, as long as you don't earn money through photography, a 5D or other cameras in that price
range are a total overkill, it's like buying a Porsche and just driving around in the city with it...there are even some
pro-photographers that use the "entry-level" cams.

The really "badass" stuff still is way out of your price range, 5D III for example costs around 2,700€ (the body, you
still need a lense), so if you add a lense of the same quality you already hit the 4k € line.

A t2i or t3i with the kit lense or the Canon 50mm 1.8 is a really nice start and you may get it for 300$ used.