The pics thread

wut-1.png

nazi zombies from the movie Dead Snow

edit: ninja'd...lol ghostbusters ftw

I remember someone posted a Dead Snow trailer awhile ago. I've been meaning to download it, and now I finally got to it.

Art is (most of the time) equally about the process by/through which the art is created than merely about the final work as a "piece of art."

See, it's taken me some time to come to grips with this reality. Being a student of literary art, "how" a work is created isn't usually of the utmost importance; the mental preparation and thought that goes into writing is paramount, but the actual methods by which a literary work is made is almost always the same.

Visual art is much more interesting when it comes to the "how." I have a friend who's studying film and he's really opened my eyes to some of the methods of his craft, and he's done some really awesome stuff (using the actual film itself even in some of his art).

That said, I need to recommend an author that I think both writers and painters/visual artists can enjoy. His name is Mark Danielewski, and his book House of Leaves is one of the most interesting contemporary novels I've ever read. It's a literary work at heart, but it deals with lots of aesthetics and methods of visual art (it's a book about a film). Also, it's one of the most terrifying books I've ever read.

That's awesome. I considered writing my undergraduate thesis on House of Leaves, and sometimes I still wish I'd stuck with it. I'd be interested in reading that when you're done.

it should be pretty neat. I'm going to talk about how the house emasculates and robs the men of their masculinity and how this is portrayed in the novel.

there haven't been too many papers on House of Leaves, and as far as I could tell, none even remotely close to what I'm going to be talking about, so it should be fun. I need to read the book again; it's been a couple of years since the last time I read it.

I wonder the same thing. Ok, the colouring of the word "house" is apparently of importance in this book, but what has that got to do with grammatical reference to said book?