The Art Thread

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
This thread is for posting or discussing works of art. This can include album art, but since we've already got a rather massive album art thread in the main GMD, I'd recommend that we stick with non-album stuff.

I'm hoping this thread will also help to divert non-member-related pictures from the "pics thread", since that thread would be much cooler if it focused on the actual lives and doings of the people who post here.

That said, I'll start things off with one of my favorites - the Flammarion woodcut:

Universum.jpg

Wikipedia said:
The print depicts a man, dressed as a medieval pilgrim and carrying a pilgrim's staff, peering through the sky as if it were a curtain to look at the inner workings of the universe. One of the elements of the cosmic machinery bears a strong resemblance to traditional pictorial representations of the "wheel in the middle of a wheel" described in the visions of the prophet Ezekiel (see Merkabah).

The caption in Flammarion's book translates as "A missionary of the Middle Ages tells that he had found the point where the sky and the Earth touched..." The image accompanies a text which reads, in part, "What, then, is this blue sky, which certainly does exist, and which veils from us the stars during the day?" The print is often described as being medieval due to its visual style, its fanciful vision of the world, and to what appears to be a depiction of a flat Earth.

I love the concepts behind this piece. It kind of makes me wish the universe actually were designed like that -- discovering the edge of the world would be the coolest thing ever!

bacon1.gif

Francis Bacon, Figure Writing Reflected in the Mirror

kandinsky-volga.jpg

Wassily Kandinsky, Song of the Volga

Eh, a little plain and depressing for me. Of course, that's what he was going for in most of his work, it seems.

Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of that kind of stuff but it looks like it would make for some cool video game graphics or whatever.

I like the Dali elephants. My favorite in The Temptation of St. Anthony is the one on the right that's carrying a stone tower on his back. :zombie:

c_documents_and_settings_hilmar_desktop_veggfo_ur_the_temptation_of_st_anthony.jpg

Some of my favorites.
I'm probably going to be posting in this thread a lot. =]

two_tounges.jpg

Odd Nerdrum, Two Tongues, 2000

love_divided.jpg

love_divided_detail1.jpg
(detail)
Odd Nerdrum, Love Divided, 2005

Those of you who saw my thesis work for my show probably can see the similarities to my work in Nerdrum's, he's a big inspiration for me.

jenny_saville_host.jpg

Jenny Saville, Host, 2000

555664c1.jpg

Jenny Saville, Reverse, 2003

big_art_yuskavage.jpg

Lisa Yuskavage, Kathy On A Pedestal, 2000

The_Flagellation_of_Christ.jpg

William Bouguereau, The Flagellation of Our Lord Jesus Christ, 1880

Nymphes_et_satyre.jpg

William Bouguereau, Nymphs and Satyr, 1873