The Art Thread

Tabletwister

O.la K.ala
Oct 8, 2003
Shipwrecked...
This is a thread that you can post everything that is considered art for you or for your taste...it can be a picture, a painting, a sculpture of any kind, a poem, a gnomic or another kind of writing...
In a few words, everything that means art to you... :)

Starting, this is what i consider as an express of art...the photo speaks for itself...

angel1.jpg

alex.jpg

THE “OATH” OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT
(OPIS, 324 BC)

“IT IS MY WISH, NOW THAT WARS ARE COMING TO AN END, THAT YOU SHOULD ALL BE HAPPY IN PEACE. FROM NOW ON, LET ALL MORTALS LIVE AS ONE PEOPLE, IN FELLOWSHIP, FOR THE GOOD OF ALL. SEE THE WHOLE WORLD AS YOUR HOMELAND, WITH LAWS COMMON TO ALL, WHERE THE BEST WILL GOVERN REGARDLESS OF THEIR RACE. UNLIKE THE NARROWMINDED, I MAKE NO DISTINCTION BETWEEN GREEKS AND BARBARIANS. THE ORIGIN OF CITIZENS, OR THE RACE INTO WHICH THEY WERE BORN, IS OF NO CONCERN TO ME. I HAVE ONLY ONE CRITERION BY WHICH TO DISTINGUISH THEM VIRTUE.

FOR ME, ANY GOOD FOREIGNER IS A GREEK AND ANY BAD GREEK IS WORSE THAN A BARBARIAN. IF DISPUTES EVER OCCUR AMONG YOU, YOU WILL NOT RESORT TO WEAPONS BUT WILL SOLVE THEM IN PEACE. IF NEED BE, I SHALL ARBITRATE BETWEEN YOU. SEE GOD NOT AS AN AUTOCRATIC DESPOT, BUT AS THE COMMON FATHER OF ALL AND THUS YOUR CONDUCT WILL BE LIKE THE LIVES OF BROTHERS WITHIN THE SAME FAMILY. I, ON MY PART, SEE YOU ALL AS EQUAL, WHETHER YOU ARE WHITE OR DARK-SKINNED. AND I SHOULD LIKE YOU NOT SIMPLY TO BE SUBJECTS OF MY COMMONWEALTH, BUT MEMBERS OF IT, PARTNERS OF IT. TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY, I SHALL STRIVE TO DO WHAT I HAVE PROMISED. KEEP AS A SYMBOL OF LOVE THIS OATH WHICH WE HAVE TAKEN TONIGHT WITH OUR LIBATIONS”.​

M. C. Escher's "Waterfall"

waterfall.JPG

Look at how the waterflows!!!!
I love this guys works! :Spin: :) :Spin:

P.S. That's a great photograph, OrphanedAngel!

Thank You Poolvard :Spin:
Your's is also nice !!!
I 've never heard of M. C. Escher before... :oops:
Is there a site to visit and see his work?

Thanks, OrphanedAngel!

Check www.mcescher.com .
Escher is just unbelievable, my favourite artist! He's done some incredible things, all by hand, without any help from computers. The guy is really just sooo great!!! :)

The art of ancient wonders...

The Pyramids of Egypt...
pyramids2.jpg

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon...
gar2.jpg

The Statue of Zeus at Olympia...
zeus1.jpg

The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus...
artemis.jpg

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus...
mau1.jpg

The Colossus at Rhodes...
col2.jpg

The Pharos of Alexandria...
pha2.jpg

What a beautiful thread :hotjump: I want to share with you my best painting of all time by Van Gogh;"Starry Night"..It's amazing..
f_0612.jpg

Thank You, Dreamcell, for starting this thread! I'm at last going through all the paintings I've downloaded from the internet again. :)

Here's Dorothea Tanning's "Guardian Angels"

tanning1.jpg

"Guardian Angels " Are Really Cool :cool:
Waiting For More Paintings To Upload , Poolvard!:Spin:

Photographer's Art Or Nature 's ? Maybe both?

ins.jpg

poolvard, slash, very beautiful paintings and sculpture...it's nice to see that you like art :) . It's great that at least some people love and appreciate art...well done bro/sis, thank you very much for sharing your artistic taste with us, art is made of feelings and soul...

The Marduk Ziggurat (Tower of Babel) of ancient Sumerians in Uruk (there is now in Iraq).

Sumerians were a forgotten civilization but just till last century, archelogists have recognized that in some clay tablets, there are some texts which is not written in Akadian and which was not a kind of Samitic(Arabian, Assrian, Hebrew etc.) language. Their language were similar with turkish (uralic/altaic style) and it's a very strong possibility that once they moved messopotamia from central asia.

... History begins with Sumers, because they are the first civilization who began to write. Before sumerians, it's accepting as "dark ages or prehistorical age" by historians.

And, still today, it can be seen many details from sumerian culture in our life... like.. our 360 (now it's 365) days calendar or zodiac signs etc..

Also, it can be seen some similarities between bible and ancient sumerians legends... The Flood is one of the biggest example for that.

ur_ziggurat.jpg

More paintings later :D , now for something different.

Arabic calligraphy

calligraphy5.gif

cbird1.jpg

The last one is "Bism'allah" in the form of a bird, don't know the first one's meaning (but it still looks great!)