The Dreams Thread

@L1ttl3R4t

there used to be a lot of people (and there are still a few) who would have a pen-and-paper (now it'd prolly be a laptop) right next to their bed when they'd pass out
and then they'd immediately write down all their dreams when they woke up
2 of those written-down-dreams became super-popular novels
the older one was
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
the newer one was
the first Twilight book

3 recent ones:

I dreamt I was at a punk show, where a band left a wallet and credit card on the floor to see if their audience was honest enough to hand them in, which they were. The reward for their honesty was that the scene shifted to North Korea. The place was bustling with other Westerners, whose tourism there ironically bought them freedoms they couldn't enjoy in their home countries. Punk bands could make as much noise outside as they wanted, while medieval LARPers could use real weapons and not get in trouble if they killed anyone. As I wandered along observing all this, I got the feeling a LARPer was pointing a weapon at me so I closed my eyes, and then I felt an arrow whoosh just over my head. I walked on to some sort of castle building, and up a path between walls which curved up to the roof. I could hear what was possibly just someone listening to an audio guide behind me, but I was feeling paranoid and hurried in case I was wrong and got disappeared with no witnesses. I found somewhere to sit, and from there I could see across a stream to a geologically interesting/pretty cliff. Tourists were getting their photo taken with the cliff, and on the left side there were two large picture frames with images of Dear Leaders. As the tourists began to disperse I tried to take a good photo of the cliff with my camera. All the while being frightened that I'd do something slightly wrong and be taken away for use in medical experiments.

I dreamt I was at a live show in Wellington where bands each played 2 songs max and the audience had to contribute vocals, which I may have done an alright job of for a change. Afterwards I crossed the street and bumped into some guys I knew from high school. They mentioned a guy I knew from primary school, describing him as retiring or maxed out or something like that, supposedly because he'd had 6 kids. Then I was visiting Auckland and a bed was set up for me to stay in someone's living area. The frontman of an Auckland band I like had supposedly given me a ride there from my apartment, which maybe I'd been checking up on to see how the repairs were going. While I was dressed for bed and lying on my stomach, he poured orange juice onto the small of my back. At first I didn't want to believe it, but then I moved and splashed some of it onto the carpet and saw it was indeed juice. I argued with him for a while, desperately trying to explain the concept of emotions to him and how he should feel bad, also referring to something else unspecified that he'd done earlier. He left and I helped clean the place up.

I dreamt I was in what seemed to be a repurposed school building in Ukraine, where militia and other people were preparing for a retreat due to a threat from the Russian army. I kissed a cute woman and then tried to walk with her to another building. My legs in real life must've been a bit immobile in bed, so I did my usual dream thing where I float/fly along, rarely touching down for another step. I mastered control of my flying more effectively than usual. In a room in the next building the woman curled up for a nap on the floor, while above I practised my flying by launching myself back and forth off opposite walls, staying close to the ceiling.

Last edited:
i get the thing where i'm running and my steps get longer and longer and then suddenly i'm rising up and running on air, if that sounds familiar.

I keep moving forward but my legs stop working, dragging behind and losing contact with the ground. So I sorta float along in sluggish superman leaps, eventually regaining control of my legs to land each time. Sometimes it goes badly and I just end up crawling. It almost always coincides with dreams where I either need to cross the road or escape from some situation.

I dreamt that people could mutate to another species at will and had favoured different biological classes at various points throughout history depending on what suited. In the present day it had become improper to be a bird, and so there was news of an upcoming patch to the world. Anyone still a bird after the update would be trapped in that form. I walked along a street and saw some people who were living as moody & grubby storks, nesting on a ledge partway up the side of a building. They'd clearly decided the freedom to relax upon their guano pedestals and shit on our heads was far superior to anything the mammal life could offer. Not being foolhardy enough to join them, I went to a foodcourt to live out some final moments as a bird while I safely could, sipping some sort of cocktail with my beak and pondering existence.

Definitely a dream I could infer too much meaning from. The judgements of my subconscious about your chosen species do not necessarily reflect my own views.

I think birds are the top dogs on this planet if you really think about it. They fly around and look down on us and shit wherever they want and make screeching noises at 4 AM because they can and for some reason we feed them and encourage them to pester us more. I think being a bird is the way to go.

Reactions: Bloopy
this is why k'rul's gift to my boy buke is so beautiful, he gets to shit on the world forever!

sorry but i view everything in terms of malazan references

yes i'll listen to that tanagra quit your jabberin

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
yes i'll listen to that tanagra quit your jabberin

firefox_ph6lcJ7cVx.png

Also from this interview: Drummer & Malaz zealot Chris is also a shut-in, weeb, Final Fantasy XIV addict, software engineer and hobbyist programmer. No wonder I relate to this music so much. Guitarist and illustrious film director Steven Soderberg is also a big fan of retro video game soundtracks.

I dreamt that in the early days of Sepultura, Igor Cavalera's drums were just planks of wood, along with dowel rods which he hit the end of. They were all cut to very precise sizes and mounted so as to get certain sounds out of them. At one point he needed a producer to guide him to hit them, possibly because he was under the influence of some substance or other. Then Sepultura went to Chile for the first time, and he decided he'd play real drums on the tour. When the fans found out, they rioted and threw everything they could get their hands on at the drums because they'd all turned up for the planks of wood. I couldn't say my subconscious remembered what Igor looks like, but it was adamant that it was Sepultura's original drummer so I'll go with it.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I dreamt I was hanging out on an oversized bed with a bunch of people watching an episode of a CSI TV show. The CSI team went to investigate some sort of one-room mobile home, expecting to find corpses. Instead they found two people who tried to break out of the trailer and attack them. One had transformed into a Sorry to Bother You-style horse/human hybrid. The CSI team defeated them by stabbing them over and over with large knives. They must've been very sharp as the final upward cut to the forehead of the guy still in human form split the top of his head into two halves. Somehow they processed this kill scene and took the bodies away without noticing a third zombified person who'd been hiding under a counter the entire time.

The team were then discussing how the guy in human form had barely bled at all, and when his corpse shrivelled it hadn't really shown any signs of human hair. It seemed he'd been starting to undergo a transformation too and they were trying to think of what chemicals might cause it. I realised I was part of this discussion too, and that the people I'd been hanging out with were my fellow actors. In the next episode I was part of the team called to a public restroom to fish a corpse out of a toilet's S-trap. There was a decent-sized turd in the toilet that had failed to flush due to the blockage. By some stroke of luck it wasn't me who landed the grungy task at the scene. For reasons of Bloopy dream hilarity the corpse had to be unscientifically grabbed with an ungloved arm, all while leaving the toilet and turd in situ. Somehow they did indeed pull the corpse out from its impossible hiding place.

CBS, if you're reading this and in need of writers, hit me up!

hbb is still at it:
Not exactly metal related but I had one of the best video-musical dreams of my life this morning, quite nearly an odyssey centered around an extremely rare record described by RYM consensus as the Winter Kill of 80s synth pop or something along those lines, a bizarre backstory involving a teen impregnated during a Disneyland field trip under eldritch chalk markings in a building that resembled the terrorist half of de_dust with a Sleeping Beauty Castle color scheme overlaid, her family was religious so they opposed an abortion though abandoned the bastard, which incubated the spirit of a cursed jester god, living on in the scant copies of the record which survived a soon-to-come apocalypse, of which I was party to, so we travel various ruined cities under blood-red skies and manage to find shelter in an abandoned skyscraper near a ruined elevator shaft/pit, gathering around candles on an old dirty mattress playing music from the record, a lovely hybrid of Susumu Hirasawa's Kaku P-Model material and The Human League's Almost Medieval and twinkly toy box instrumentation coming to mind, all the while pixel art cut scenes reminiscent of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream animate key segments of the song which describes the lament of the jester, so I look up my rym friend ratings and in spite of how absolutely perfectly the dream was engineered, aflickering's track ratings for the album had the song at only 3 stars, causing me to wake up.

3 recent-ish ones. I'd procrastinated on typing any up lately and just made short notes on the day. A good idea as some of the ones I noted down were even more dull in hindsight...

I dreamt there was a women's baseball team waiting for their catcher to enter the field, and then they realised she'd been murdered. 3 members of a men's team were arrested and supposedly she'd uncovered a paedophile ring they had going or some shit. Then it turned out the rest of the men's team were involved too and there was a shootout with police. Then I dreamt about a mass shooting at a movie theatre. It was saved from being even worse by an off-duty military guy sitting in the lobby who had some sort of futuristic weapon prototype with him, using it to blast the shooter. Then the dream moved to a bar above a department store. It seemed to be a secretive club that hadn't moved beyond the 1980s, with brown decor and people still smoking indoors. I was directed to sit in an outdoor area but struggled to figure out getting a drink. I headed back down to the department store, which had a playground next to where the bottom of the stairs fanned out. I saw a kid tumble down the last few steps and land on his head or something and it was hilarious, but my view was obscured and I wished I could watch a replay on YouTube.

I dreamt I was seeing a great band live, but also trying to do something else on the same night, although I'm not sure what it was. Maybe just another concert. I walked to some other location and back. There was a bunch of nudists around for some reason. The next band still hadn't finished setting up at the first venue. I looked at the merch and it was mostly fridge magnets, then went outside to head to the other location again. As I was leaving, there was a horrible sound coming from the building, and someone said it was a cat in the ventilation. Ahead there was a guy running a pancake stall, and he was trying to show off and spin each pancake he'd made up in the air like pizza dough. He lost every single one, with them either flying into people sitting nearby, over a rail and down to a stream, or just onto the ground. A scary seagull may have nabbed one of them. Then I was crawling to the other location as my legs had stopped working.

In another dream I seemed to be a kid being dropped off by their mum to catch a bus, but the dad had been following on a motorbike and got accosted by bandits. I caught the bus and it had been converted somehow, with all the passenger seats facing backwards. The dream restarted the story (alternate reality/Dark influence), and this time the dad was alerted to the danger and avoided it. Then instead of getting onto the bus, another kid having a meltdown leapt off the bus with a sword and cut someone, and the dad pulled out a gun and shot him.

I had a couple of table tennis dreams lately. Perhaps sleepy parts of my brain reawakened by the move back to Auckland. A few weeks ago I dreamt I played table tennis in the upper atmosphere. I was on some kind of spacewalk with two others, just sort of floating in the nothingness with the equipment. Somehow the balls weren't getting away from us... maybe it helps that there's no wind that far up. It wasn't a great game though as the guy I was playing against was preoccupied with doing silly stuff. We returned to our space station base and our boss didn't seem too pleased with the guy's disinclination for facilitating table tennis rallies for the sake of scientific advancement.

I was sitting in the kitchen of my childhood home discussing dreams with Bloopy and no country. Bloopy said he had a dream of a massive flood of lava. no country said that's funny, I had the exact same dream. Then I heard no country exclaim "THERE'S THAT FUCKING LAVA AGAIN" and I looked out the window and an inescapable wave of lava was rushing towards us. We all died screaming.

Before that I had a more elaborate dream I can't remember all the details of. The war in Ukraine was escalating and pulling in other nations as well, and all the casualties were coming back as zombies. Large swathes of the world became unlivable hellscapes. I was part of an operation to assassinate Putin to stop the slaughter, but our first attempt was thwarted when Putin transformed into a bird and flew away. Even in bird form, he could still hold and fire a pistol.

Last edited: