The pics thread

As much as I realize there is beauty to enjoy around here in Michigan, I just can't help but envy the people who live in either of the Northern coastal areas of the country.

Two new prints from printmaking class today...my first productive day in the class in a while. Some of the new techniques I wasn't a big fan of (watercolors.....ugh...fail), but these are reductive/additive prints with some fairly experimental inking approaches at times (pressing the plate into my two-color palette, etc.). Apologies about the lame quality photos...cell phone fail. Should have nice pics in a few days:

7731_146096391886_699811886_3116052_5744258_n.jpg

7731_146095501886_699811886_3116046_3929339_n.jpg

The first one I like... reminds me of a cave with a door on it... with dismembered body parts hanging around.

Also, lol @ d_t.. arent you supposed to be staying away from that bright light?

Andy, you should totally think about set and costume design for films. You could be the next H.R. Giger or something. I could see that first print as a conceptual design for some fucked up psych-horror film or something. Actually, the first thing that popped into my head was House of Leaves.

Thanks man! Giger is a huge influence (the 2009 calendar in my room is a Giger art calendar!); I'm also hugely influenced by the experimental works of Sam Francis, Terry Winters, Sigmar Polke and Jackson Pollock, among others, as you could probably tell or as I've probably mentioned.

With my prints, I'm getting big into technique and creating works which utilize layers and levels of interest beyond just "an image." No doubt this has been done before, but I feel like close study of my works causes me to love something new every time, and I especially like some of the Rorschach-blotter-esque patterns I come up with almost entirely accidentally. With the second print especially, today, I kept looking at it in different spots after I transferred the ink to paper from the plexiglas plate I painted on and removed the ink from. I kept astounding myself with all of the gloriously unintentional and accidental designs, patterns and interesting sections I had, yet was pleased with the coherent whole form of the print itself too. I don't expect too many other people to really get from my prints as much as I get from them (esp. not if all you can see is a shitty cell phone reproduction :p), but I think of these obviously more as process pieces than "works"...I still post them because I'm proud of them though.

Divine torture, I'd like to go ahead and say the corpse paint actually looks pretty good to me even if the picture is a little weird

I was riveted. :cool: But I enjoy hearing about how artists work. I do lots of creative writing, but I still have yet to find a method that really works for me.

EDIT: @Andy

I was in Richmond this past Sunday and had a little time to visit Belle Island while I was there. I have 13 photos of it on my site here: http://grantrose.org/photos.php and 5 of those I've posted below.
Your island sucks. I HATE IT. Why would you post these?

Devasya Chāyā;8604686 said:
The second looks like goatse.
Projecting much?

on accident.
For some reason it really bothers me when people say this. It's like when they say "idear" instead of "idea." It might be because it's just fucking wrong, but I think it's more than that.