The pics thread

Fucking idiots. Football is a wonderful sport, with enormous amounts of skill. If "soccer" is gay, everything's gay apart from homoerotic wrestling, which again, isn't sport.

As far as popular sports outside of America go, I'd rather watch cricket than soccer. Probably because I'm a huge baseball fan.

Fucking idiots. Football is a wonderful sport, with enormous amounts of skill. If "soccer" is gay, everything's gay apart from homoerotic wrestling, which again, isn't sport.

Fuckin this. Whoever hates the real football is gay.

Soccer/football players are hotter than those in other sports. Michael Fassbender, Torsten Frings, Ilhan Mansiz, yes please

As far as popular sports outside of America go, I'd rather watch cricket than soccer. Probably because I'm a huge baseball fan.

Fair enough, but the only thing that the two sports have in common is that ball hits bat.

Beats inventing new shitty things just for the sake of having something of your own.

Exactly. I could go into a tangent and explain why I'd rather be a pussy and not hate the British because they colonized my country. I cringe when I say my country; fucking nationalism.

Also, FFS, American football is boring as fuck. The ball's in play for such a little time. I should probably make my disdain for the average chest-beating American sports fan. There's a fine line between being proud of your team and heritage, and being a complete dick and more often than not, drunk fans are always on the wrong side. Clearly, courtesy, respect and talent aren't traits that are respected here.

If you think America football is boring then you don't understand the game and/or know what's going on. American football is anti-boring. Each play is monumental in the outcome of a game and there are so many crucial moments that labeling it the most epic sport ever wouldn't do it justice.

ITT: people who dont watch soccer and people who dont watch american football generalize each other.

Football is heavy hitting and meatheaded, college fb is very high action/scoring... I enjoy that, but I also can sit down and watch an entire baseball game (I've been on the baseball field plenty in my life though)... and watched some of the games during the world cup of soccer this last year.

I was fine with it... but I just cant relate... I'd like to put a helmet on and smash someone... picking up a bat and hitting a home run... I've physically been there. Running around kicking a ball? That just makes this chubby guy feel tired.

Where's the skill in chasing a ball around for 90 minutes? Besides, games with a final score of 1-0 do not equal excitement.

EDIT: Also, what Krow said. I love baseball as well, but I fear my favorite team, the Cardinals, will suck this year.

I don't know why sports have to be so polarizing and people feel the need to express their disdain so fervently. Honestly, I could watch and enjoy just about any sport. The worst thing about almost any sport usually ends up being the fans.

As for the argument about football that "the ball is rarely in play", that is a bit misleading. To be frank, although the ball is far more often "in play" in soccer, there's probably about an equivalent amount of actual action, and each match is a half hour longer than a football game with all of the passing and setting up. There's usually around 85-90 plays in the average football game, btw.

Not that big on sports, I enjoy watching football, handball or tennis from time to time, though it's more entertaining if you play (badly) yourself, rather than watch.

Is American football same as rugby?

I find the sports I dislike the most are the ones I know the least about. Obviously if you don't watch a sport enough to understand more than just the very basic mechanics, you aren't going to see what's so interesting about it that more knowledgeable fans do.

Each sport requires athleticism and strategy. If you sit down to watch a baseball game looking for every batter to hit a home run, of course you're going to be disappointed and bored. By doing so, you're letting many interesting aspects of the game fly right over your head.

That said, everybody has their own preferences. If you understand but don't enjoy the core game play of a sport, then learning more about it probably won't do anything for you. That doesn't mean that it's boring or a bad sport though, because to millions of fans, it isn't.

Also re: football action, apparently there's only about 11 minutes of action in a three hour broadcast, which is rather lackluster. But again, if you understand more about it you'll realize that there's still a lot going on strategically during all that time the ball isn't in play.

Fair enough, but the only thing that the two sports have in common is that ball hits bat.

Well, there's a little bit more in common than that. But anyway I've watched some cricket matches before and found it interesting.

EDIT: Also, what Krow said. I love baseball as well, but I fear my favorite team, the Cardinals, will suck this year.

The Cardinals come to play the Giants tomorrow for the home opener! :)