The pics thread

Lizards are cool

Damn right.

v-lesvisiteurs03-10355887zczfq.jpg

I love it, I was immediately struck by her when we met about 6 months ago. she's extremely pretty and unique looking. I love her features and the shape of her face.

Nebulas. The crazy thing is, those bastards are fucking huge. Photos make them just look like clouds you can imagine your spaceship flying through; but one of the most famous nebulas, the Pillars of Creation, is fucking light-years in size.

It's called Mystic Mountain. What's truly amazing is the detail of chemical elements and highlight features are so subdued that the human eye cannot see them. The Hubble images are downloaded as black and white, and color is added for a number of different reasons to show the detail for those elements. Without a telescope, it looks like a faint white wispy blob from a hundred light years away, it will still look faint and white and wispy if you were right next to it, covering more of the sky. If you were right next to this, you wouldn't be able to make out these colours at all - it'd be far too dim. It would be something a bit more like the milky way, a cloudiness in the sky that makes an interesting shape, but not bright enough to see if you're in a city.

HubbleSite - The meaning of color:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/behind_the_pictures/meaning_of_color/index.php

Here is another one that blows my mind.

The two Antennae galaxies smash together, billions of stars are born. Andromeda and Milky Way will look like this in the distant future.