The pics thread

Glad you guys liked the stuff.

My ex's Egyptian family came from Persia and weren't ethnically Egyptian always found their history to be very interesting even though I know jack shit about it.

Yeah it's one hell of a history and now we're in a sad chapter of it.

@ End of Glory: pretty dog!

Well, Mithras is an obvious direct mention, but that was later on, sort of a symptom of the overgrowth and aging of the empire. I was referring more to the indirect influence of Zoroastrianism on Greek thinking/mythology and then that subsumption into the Roman edifice.

Mithraism was imported during the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD and became very popular in the army, but remained largely a lower class religion that never was fully incorporated into the Roman state religion.

Perhaps the term "mythology" made me uneasy, as traditional Roman mythology and theology is derived almost entirely from Etruscan and Greek traditions. The eagle was a common symbol of the chief god in many civilizations, and I'd doubt it could be traced to any single point of origin.

Mithraism was imported during the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD and became very popular in the army, but remained largely a lower class religion that never was fully incorporated into the Roman state religion.

I've read speculation that Catholicism was heavily influenced by Mithraism. I have no idea if there is any merit to that.

traditional Roman mythology and theology is derived almost entirely from Etruscan and Greek traditions.

Right, and I'm pretty sure it's generally accepted that Greek thinkers were heavily influenced by middle eastern/Egyptian thinkers.

Oh btw this is the stone relief of Kartir Hangirpe (Zoroastrian high-priest) in Persepolis which is believed to be the oldest sign of the horns:

naqs-e_rajab_katir_zps3f71e9d2.jpg

I've read speculation that Catholicism was heavily influenced by Mithraism. I have no idea if there is any merit to that.

There were many mystery religions/cults that coexisted at that time. The approach to religious experience was fairly uniform and not the result of any single influence, but rather a response to the various crises of the age.

Right, and I'm pretty sure it's generally accepted that Greek thinkers were heavily influenced by middle eastern/Egyptian thinkers.

This is quite true. The Presocratics arose partly as a result of contact with Phoenician and Egyptian merchants. Early Greek art is a good example of Egyptian cultural influence, so mythological ideas and expressions certainly are part of that.