The pics thread

If I had to choose between banging Hillary or Palin

I'd choose Hillary
I'd rather bang the woman who was running the country while Bill was in office over the dumbass moose-lady

You've obviously never held a financial conversation with any who makes more in tips than their actual hourly wage
I have friends who run bars and other business that require waiting, and believe me ... some of them make more many than you would think

yeah, your just an idiot tweaker who probably has no more than a dozen or so working brain cells. Dont know why i even bother responding to you.

Yeah for good reason, half the workers don't deserve it and the majority of customers under the age of 35 can't work out something as simple as 10% of a bill in their heads.

That's not why.

I don't remember what our minimum is but I think it's somewhere around the $15 per hour mark, it might even be more. Businesses are free to pay more and there are multiple different pay grades for different staff. Some get penalty rates for working late, early or on weekend and public holidays but I think the government have either removed that as compulsory or are trying too. No one here relies on tips to survive, it's a bonus and until recently (10-15 years) it wasn't even a regular custom expect at actual sit down restaurants and even then it was never enforced or expected.

Our minimum wage is just over $18 an hour. That's why, waiters here earn a living wage.

i admit, i'm intrigued
i give you, "The Filth Hounds of Britain" ....

a3Xmf6f.jpg

That's not why.

Of course it is.

Our minimum wage is just over $18 an hour. That's why, waiters here earn a living wage.

Earning a living wages isn't why tipping hasn't been considered the norm. Sure some customers think they shouldn't pay tips because they think waiters and food staff get paid a wage but it was never written anywhere that "this is a living wage therefore tips are no required" because tips have been a part of the food services industry for as long as there has been a minimum wage.

Earning a living wages isn't why tipping hasn't been considered the norm. Sure some customers think they shouldn't pay tips because they think waiters and food staff get paid a wage but it was never written anywhere that "this is a living wage therefore tips are no required" because tips have been a part of the food services industry for as long as there has been a minimum wage.

We don't have a culture of tipping because we don't have an industry of waiters being underpaid which would facilitate a stronger push to expect tips. Obviously many places have and still do accept tips but the context is very different. Nobody tips food delivery workers either.

We don't have a culture of tipping because we don't have an industry of waiters being underpaid which would facilitate a stronger push to expect tips. Obviously many places have and still do accept tips but the context is very different. Nobody tips food delivery workers either.

The culture of tipping in restaurants has been in this country forever, it was never compulsory or expected as it seems to be in the US but it's always been there no matter how much a waiter got paid, therefore a minimum or living wage has made no difference to the tipping. Most places who allow tipping don't put it through as wages and therefore staff don't get taxed on it but it's been there a long time. Many of the higher end restaurants, the ones that can easily afford to pay wages, even put a tips section on the bill, some of them have even been seen to write in a figure of 10-15% to save the customer having to work it out for themselves.

Fast food has never really had the same luxury afforded to it but many cafes and coffee shops have had tip jars on the counters for years, even fish and chip shops started putting tip jars at the registers in the 80's. As for deliveries Pizza hut had an entire ad campaign in the 80's based around the delivery boy on his bike asking for a tip.

The culture of tipping in restaurants has been in this country forever, it was never compulsory or expected as it seems to be in the US but it's always been there no matter how much a waiter got paid, therefore a minimum or living wage has made no difference to the tipping. Most places who allow tipping don't put it through as wages and therefore staff don't get taxed on it but it's been there a long time. Many of the higher end restaurants, the ones that can easily afford to pay wages, even put a tips section on the bill, some of them have even been seen to write in a figure of 10-15% to save the customer having to work it out for themselves.

Fast food has never really had the same luxury afforded to it but many cafes and coffee shops have had tip jars on the counters for years, even fish and chip shops started putting tip jars at the registers in the 80's. As for deliveries Pizza hut had an entire ad campaign in the 80's based around the delivery boy on his bike asking for a tip.

Putting the cart before the horse here. The culture of tipping is less about what businesses do (putting a tip jar on the counter for example) and more about what customers feel obliged to do. Yes, tipping exists everywhere, but the social pressure to leave a tip doesn't exist here. That's the culture I'm referring to.

Also for over 100 years we have had fair pay standards created by strong labour movements that have meant that waiters are paid enough to get by without having to rely on tips. Unless you're talking about some kind of tipping culture that predates labour movement achievements from the late 1800's I'm not really sure why you would say those kinds of developments in workers' rights have had no impact on tipping culture.