The pics thread

So why do we need to have a military presence in places where there isn't a war?

To keep the peace, to prove to those countries that we will keep our word and protect their freedom and future prosperity, to show the world that we mean business when it comes to spreading democracy and that we don't fuck around, etc etcet teccetetec.

Besides, last I checked South Korea and Germany are doing pretty damn well for themselves, just as I suspect Iraq and Afghanistan will, eventually.

Vietnam is a different story obviously. Can't win 'em all I guess.

To keep the peace, to prove to those countries that we will keep our word and protect their freedom and future prosperity, to show the world that we mean business when it comes to spreading democracy and that we don't fuck around, etc etcet teccetetec.

Besides, last I checked South Korea and Germany are doing pretty damn well for themselves, just as I suspect Iraq and Afghanistan will, eventually.

Britain's pulling out of Germany I think so America might follow suit seeing as it's more or less a waste of money with Communism (East Germany in particular) long gone in Europe.

To keep the peace, to prove to those countries that we will keep our word and protect their freedom and future prosperity

Protecting them from what? The boogeyman of non-democracy? We aren't protecting anyone from the UN.

to show the world that we mean business when it comes to spreading democracy and that we don't fuck around

Russia, China, and Saudi Arabia are quaking in their boots, cause they know we mean business when it comes to ending human rights abuses and spreading democracy.

:(

I don't mean to attack you or anything, but I disagree with you.

I don't know about Vietnam, South Korea or Germany, because I have never been there.

But US intervention in Latin America only responded to US interests, not ours.

I don't think that helping to install military dictatorships that tortured and murdered dozens of thousands of people; and also screwing up the economies with neoliberalism is spreading democracy and protecting our freedom and future prosperity.

Just saying.

Britain going to war with Argentina, against the wishes of the U.S.A. did more to spread democracy there. I know that might be an offensive thing to say but it's true.

zabu of nΩd;9644826 said:
Seriously, what the fuck is that thing :lol:

After extensive research I have concluded that it is in fact the end of the fastening strap for the beach umbrella I was sitting under.

Behold Tatey the Alien Spawn, found living at the rear of our pantry several days ago. We're thinking of taking him out on the road and making a million with him.

31012011212.jpg

31012011207.jpg

31012011206.jpg

31012011213.jpg

31012011214.jpg

Man, those shoots on that spud do look creepy.

Some sort of Lovecraftian/non-Euclidean potato from the stars.

fearless wretch
insanity
it watches
lurking beneath the soil
great Old One
forbidden site
it searches
potatoe of the shadows is rising
immortal
in madness You dwell

Crawling Chaos, underground
farmers have harvested, twisted sound

Britain going to war with Argentina, against the wishes of the U.S.A. did more to spread democracy there. I know that might be an offensive thing to say but it's true.

You mean, Argentina going to war with Britain to distract the people from the Dirty War (the one US was helping with), even after they got a warning of not getting any support from the US (they had to support UK)? Oh, of course. That was the worse decision ever taken by the Junta, not only for the country but for the Junta itself.
That disaster meant the end of the Junta, the complete loss of the islands we were trying to get back, and the start of a terrible economic crisis (that the neoliberal policies made even worse).
So in a sense, yes, it helped to spread democracy (or to end up with the military dictatorships) :lol:

PS: It is not offensive at all. :)

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: LOL at the 'creepy Lovecraftian potato from the stars' :lol: