Style: doom metal
Label: Code666
Playing Time: 57:40
Cat. N°: code039
Review by: Vera
Translated by: Vera
Rating: 9,5/10

English:

The Halifax doomsters of The Prophecy are about to release their third album and once again they surprise me! Still their intense music is interlarded with the wealthy legacy of the once innovative Holy Doom Trinity hailing from Yorkshire (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema), but there is more than that. The Prophecy succeeded in developing its own style out of this through the years and this offers us nearly an hour of tranquil yet genuine magnificence. I even would like to say they do not shun a kind of progressive tendencies from time to time.

‘Into The Light’ has become an album where contrasts between rigorous grunts and melancholic clean vocals turn out even better, en evidence of the ever upgrading vocal abilities of Matt Lawson. We already notice this in the seven minutes long title track that kicks off the album. The pace is rather slow, but the power of the music is nothing but overwhelming. And suddenly there is that instant switch to friendly plucking guitars and sensitive vocals. More refined and ravishing than ever. Without loosing their roots with a wild intermezzo however, that’s why you instantly get focused. In ‘Delusion’, this whirling vortex even gets November’s Doom proportions – vocalist Paul Kuhr of November’s Doom did the artwork for ‘Into The Light’ – but after this aggression the sophisticated side of The Prophecy is featured again in the fragile ‘Echoes’. This is really a stunner in which echoing guitar solos and emotive vocals send shivers down your spine. Although, in general, I have the impression that ‘Into The Light’ is more riff oriented than its predecessors.

‘All Is Lost’ is the heaviest track with loads of grunts and inciting guitar skills. ‘Into The Light’ offers us two lengthy, mighty doom epics towards the end. ‘Waters Deep’ remains contemplative and quiescent for a pretty long time, focusing on inner intertwined grief. You fly on a cloud of dark reveries until your peaceful habitat is ripped by an outburst of pent-up rage. The latest song ‘Hope’ on the other hand, is the ultimate captivating track. Mainly textured on low-tuned bass sounds and melancholic vocals, this composition settles down in your unconsciousness forever. The Prophecy surpassed themselves with this third album, which was recorded with Greg Chandler (Esoteric) in the Priory Studios and mastered by Tom Kvalsvoll, of Emperor and Dimmu Borgir fame. That’s why the global sound is upgraded to the max and the band appears to be ready to take the stages by storm. It starts in April in Moscow with the Moscow Doom Festival, but let’s hope they will return in the Lowlands pretty soon as well!

Nederlands:

De Halifax doomsters van The Prophecy zijn toe aan het derde album en telkens weer weet de band me te verrassen. Nog steeds is de intense muziek doorspekt met de rijke erfenis van wat eens de Heilige Doomdrievuldigheid uit Yorkshire was (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema), maar er is veel meer dan dat. The Prophecy heeft er in de loop der jaren haar eigen stijl uit ontwikkeld en dat levert ons weer bijna een uur verstilde pracht op. Ik zou zelfs zeggen dat ze de progressieve tour opgaan in sommige fragmenten.

‘Into The Light’ is een album waar de contrasten tussen rigoureuze grunts en melancholische heldere zang nog beter uit de verf komen, een bewijs dat Matt Lawson als zanger steeds beter wordt. Dat merken we al in het titelnummer dat met zijn zeven minuten het album aanvangt. Het tempo is traag, maar de kracht die van de muziek uitgaat is overweldigend. En plots is er die ommekeer naar vriendelijk tokkelende gitaren en gevoelige zang. Meer verfijnder dan ooit. Zonder de finale toets van een wild intermezzo te vergeten echter, zodat je al direct op het puntje van je stoel beland. In ‘Delusion’ heeft deze draaiende wervelstorm zelfs November’s Doom proporties – zanger Paul Kuhr tekende voor het artwork van ‘Into The Light’ – maar na deze agressie wordt in het fragiele ‘Echoes’ terug de ingetogen kant van The Prophecy belicht. Dit is werkelijk een prachtig nummer waar de echoënde gitaarsolo en de aandoenlijke zang rillingen over je rug laat lopen. Ik heb wel de indruk dat dit album meer riff-georiënteerd is en wat minder gitaarsolo’s bevat dan vorige albums.

‘All Is Lost’ is het hardste nummer met veel grunts en opzwepend gitaarwerk. ‘Into The Light’ biedt ons twee lange, machtige doomepossen naar het einde toe. ‘Waters Deep’ blijft lang beschouwend en kalm, met die innig verstrengelde smart voorop. Je zweeft weg op een wolk van donkere mijmeringen tot er plots een uitbarsting vol woede op volgt. Het laatste nummer ‘Hope’ spant echter de kroon qua beklijven. Voornamelijk opgebouwd rond laaggestemde basklanken en weemoedige zang haakt deze compositie zich vast in je onderbewustzijn om er nooit meer uit te verdwijnen. The Prophecy heeft zichzelf overtroffen op dit derde album, dat trouwens werd opgenomen met Greg Chandler (Esoteric) in de Priory Studios en gemastered werd door Tom Kvalsvoll, bekend van o.a. Emperor en Dimmu Borgir. Hierdoor heeft het geluid ook een upgrade gekregen en is de band klaar om zoveel mogelijk op te treden. Dit begint al in april in Moskou tijdens het Moscow Doom Festival, maar laat ons hopen dat men spoedig ook terug de Lage Landen aandoet!

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=222765

Entering the Olympus of Doom - 94% [SIZE=-1]Written by Vurtox on March 24th, 2009[/SIZE]

When I pick out single songs from traditional doom metal bands I most often find myself quite enjoying them but usually they fail to keep me interested over the course of a whole album. Too monotonous and repetitive, symptomatic for the whole sub-genre of doom metal – or should I say: characteristic? You might argue that’s exactly the point of doom but in general I can’t think of stagnation as anything but pretty tiresome.

Admittedly, that opinion is rather stereotyped – and The Prophecy were one of the first bands to make me realize that while not strolling too far from the genre’s roots. A simple innovation: songwriting that breaks the monotony through variation – in order to grab the listener’s attention – and to never let go again.

The cover of ‘Into the Light’ is symbolic for its compositions. Bleak soundscapes create a dark image before the mental eye – a nightly gaze at the deep, wide ocean. Waves surge in an instant of aggression – and calming down again. A ray of light at the distant horizon, a spark of hope – embodied by warm, melodic parts, gently caressing the distressed heart. Moments later, the turbulent sea and its dashing waves make that flicker seem so trivial again.

A recurrent motif – the constant and sophisticated interplay of differing atmospheres. Subtle harmonies accompanied by countless brilliant moments, yet so transient that one’s hardly left with enough time to be adequately awestruck.

Going into detail – the opener ‘Into the Light’ starts painfully slow with deep, devastating growls. Nearly three minutes into the song a cello adds a new layer of sound, the guitar brightens up and Matt’s warm vocals proceed to an intense and captivating melody. Gradually, the tempo begins to increase and haunting melancholy develops into immense aggression.

The variation of vocals and tempi is the primary concept and driving force behind the compositions, whereas tastefully arranged guitar soli contribute in various parts, never feeling out of place but serving to intensify the atmosphere.
‘Echoes’ throws us down into the abyss of depression – gentle lead guitar, calm clean vocals and a cello that permeates deep into the body, unlocking any emotional resistance that might have been left – so that the following crushingly heavy riffs and majestic vocals leave us behind desolate and empty. However, compensation is carried out afterwards by the two furious songs ‘Belief Means Nothing’ and ‘All is Lost’ with up-tempo, relentless drumming, a killer bass line and a great deal of harsh vocals.

The highlight of the CD is the sublime ‘Waters Deep’ – also being the longest track. Fragile acoustic guitars accompany the melody of the first half, continually intensifying with pulsating drumming around the middle, leading to a mournful solo and increasingly lamenting vocals. After a short break the ‘epicness’ reaches new heights (‘to waters deep, there we will drown…’), climaxing in an outburst of aggression with fierce growls and cutting riffs, just to return to a calm acoustic ending – a complementary interplay of opposing moods, absolutely stunning.

The record concludes with the depressive ‘Hope’ (a misleading title), yet another outstanding track with its heavy riffing, elegiac vocals and an ending carried by gut-wrenchingly beautiful cello, an atmosphere dripping of utter melancholy.

The overall sound has matured in comparison to their previous effort ‘Revelations’ – conjuring even bleaker imagery than before by means of sound. Keyboard and violin have been replaced by a cello and – somewhat regrettable – a reduction of the splendid guitar leads in order to create a more coherent and darker impression, now exclusively used to directly serve the compositions.
A compelling album with elaborate arrangements and intelligent lyrics, both exploring the genre’s borders and staying true to its roots. Give them the recognition they deserve.

http://www.archaic-magazine.com/article.php?aid=46055

United Kingdoms's The Prophecy again delivered us a beautiful piece of doom metal with death metal injections. The mostly slow tempo in the songs is typical for this style of music, but the strength that the songs bring forward comes from deep out of those musicians hearts.
The Prophecy has made their music sound more refining than ever, and the great handling of instruments spats out of the speakers. "Into the Light" is recorded by Greg Chandler (Esoteric flame) at the Priory Studios, and it's been mastered by no one less than Tom Kvalsvoll, well known from his earlier work with Emperor and Dimmu Borgir.
This excellent release has got great compositions, but the main factor in this album is absolutely the phenomenal guitar-skills from Greg O'Shea. No one can debate about that fact. Many ingredients come by in this album, like for example the use of cello, the acoustic guitars, and the variation of the vocals (grunts / clean vocals) from Matt Lawson. Listen to the track "Delusion" with the magnificent structure and the role-play between the clean emotional vocals and the deep grunts. Great stuff!
Also the track "Echoes" sounds very good, and this is the most melodic song of all. And off course I may not forget to mention the +10 minutes track "Waters Deep". This is not doom metal as most people know (not that depressive and dark), but with a more progressive touch. This is an album that takes you on a journey that you'll never forget. "Into the Light" is the album for the fans of My Dying Bride, but I would like everybody to take a listen to this killer album.

wow this is a great one :OMG:

http://metalbite.com/tracks.asp?album=7995

MetalBite Review by JD on 4/7/2009

I have heard a couple of the earlier The Prophecy's albums. Being a Doom Metal fan, I was more than just ecstatic to get this one. What I heard once the album was playing, made this old headbanger's heart sing. I got near Doom perfection.

This band from England has always impressed me... and that is hard. After being a fan of such Doom legends as November's Doom and Candlemass, I found other band hard to equal the bar that they had made. The Prophecy not only has matched these Doom leaders, but they somehow have transcended to another level.

Adding in to their already well crafted music, they have started to seriously incorporated a bit of Death, Goth and even Progressive Metal in with their own... the outcome was getting Doom Metal expanding so much that it has been becoming more of what it was. Musically, lyrically and just plain feeling... Got to hand it to the band, they have certainly became more.

One listen to the haunting yet wonderful 'Delusions', the third track on the album... you will see just how these people have reshaped the Doom Metal genre and made it their own. It shows how Doom is not just a ' one size fits all' sort of style that caters to a single type of listener.... it shows clearly that heavy music is more diverse and creative than most other styles of music out there today.

They just have taken it to the next level, flat out and unabashed as hell. I loved it... you will have to: buy or die!! A horrible little quote from many years past, but one that is truly needed here... go out and buy it stupid!!!

Categorical Rating Breakdown

Musicianship: 9.5
Atmosphere: 9.5
Production: 9.5
Originality: 9.5
Overall: 9.5

Rating: 9.5 out of 10 (one of the highest scores I have given, I think)

That was a good review! - we are also currently pick of the week and currently readers pick for top album for 2009 in the same magazine

http://www.muzyka.pl/recenzje/pokaz/355/the_prophecy_into_the_light.html

rate: 5/5

The Prophecy to coraz bardziej znany zespół z Wielkiej Brytanii oscylujący wokół szeroko pojętego doom’u z elementami gothic’u i death metalu. Na swoim koncie mają na razie trzy, coraz bardziej z biegiem czasu dojrzałe albumy. Ostatni, jeszcze świeży – „Into The Light” – stawia grupę w wysokiej czołówce metalowej sceny. Pytanie tylko, na jak długo ich marka pozostanie w pamięci w muzycznym świecie.

Od samego początku słychać, że zespół dobrze odnajduje się w obranych kierunkach. Pierwszy, zarazem tytułowy kawałek zaczyna się bardzo nisko, wolno i dosadnie. Przesterowane gitary tworzą niecodzienny klimat, wraz z growlującym wokalem. Temat bardzo przypomina dokonania niemieckiego Crematory, a szczególnie ich wczesne nagrania. Pojawiają się delikatnie czyste motywy na gitarze elektrycznej i melodyjny wokal, którego emocjonalny wyraz pobija ostatnią płytę My Dying Bride na głowę. Delikatnie, poprzez smutny riff i stukające partie perkusyjne, wgryza się kolejny numer – „Delusion”. Między spokojnymi miejscami wyrzucona jest w nas porcja szybszych zagrywek okraszonych growlem. Ukazana jest tu wyjątkowa melodyka, przeplatająca się ze smutkiem i wielkim mentalnym dołem. Gitary są niesamowicie proste, nie ma zbędnych ozdobników i śmieci – prawdziwy majstersztyk. „Don’t Forget” gości słuchacza wysmakowanym brzmieniem i idealnym przestrzennym rozmieszczeniem zarejestrowanych ścieżek. Mocne fragmenty dochodzą tutaj do granic wzniosłości doom metalu. Po przesłuchaniu połowy numeru, można odnaleźć wręcz progresywne zagrywki, jak i miejscami Immortal’owe growlujące wypluwacze. Nieco szybsza jazdą dochodzimy do końca i kolejnej pozycji – „Echoes”. Mamy tu nieco taśmowy wydźwięk produkcyjny, przypominający undergroundowe demówki. Spokojny wokal lidera zespołu - Matta Lawsona – dryfuje, przez wyszukaną balladową kompozycję. Mimo, że od początku wiedziałem, że mam doczynienia z zespołem z UK, to praktycznie od samego zapominałem się, podchodząc do materiału, jakby był on rodem z Szwecji, bądź Norwegii. Wymieniony wyżej kawałek, bardzo przypomina Opeth (z poziomu obecnego ale 10 lat młodszy). Ballada trwa przed prawie dziesięć minut, ale mogła by trwać spokojnie, jeszcze z pięć – widać tu naprawdę wielki talent aranżacyjny. „Belfief Means Nothing” dla odmiany przywala kawałkiem solidnego death metalowego zacięcia od pierwszych sekund odtwarzania. Podoba mi się tutaj bardzo akcja perkusji i wszystkich talerzy. Mamy tutaj death/black metalowe riffy (na potrzebę doom’u dość zwolnione w tempie) i kolejne wyciszone zagrywki. W tym numerze już wyraźnie słychać Creamtory, co cieszy na równi z progresywnym podejściem do rozwiązań muzycznych. Naleciałości thrashowe objawiają się w następnym „All Is Lost”. Szybko jednak przeistaczają się w kolejna progresje zmieszaną z nisko strojonymi dźwiękami. Kawałek w późniejszej części rozwija skrzydła w czysto death metalowych pomysłach. W myśl żwawszych kompozycji, „Waters Deep” nie zwalnia z tempa, grając zarazem jaśniej i przejrzyściej. Pojawiają się rwane uderzenia, konsekwentna gotycka (czyli umiarkowanie udziwniona) perkusja i klawisze ukazujące kolejną twarz The Prophecy. Po pierwszych minutach mamy bardzo chill out’owe balladowe akustyki i wokal pełen przejmujących słów (warstwa tekstowa jest naprawdę udana). Wszystko znajduje upust w przesterowanych wybrzmiewających akordach. Mamy również tutaj miejsce na wyjątkową solówkę rodem z lat ’90 i ery niezapomnianych trashowych gigantów. Całość sunie w jednym klimacie, wraz z wieloma ozdobnikami i wymieszanymi partiami instrumentalnymi, wieńcząc dzieło. Ostatni numer na tej niespełna godzinnej płycie to niepowtarzalny „Hope”. Tutaj, zespół pokazał wyjątkową klasę. Nie mogło być większego prezentu dla słuchaczy niż taki smaczek na sam koniec krążka. Jeśli ktoś chce wiedzieć, jak z prostego riffu gitarowego zrobić kawałek, który zostanie zapamiętany na bardzo długi okres czasu to musi tego posłuchać. Jest to bowiem perfekcyjna ballada z niesamowicie skomponowanym refrenem. Dziesięć minut podniosłego grania mogło by się bez problemu starać o miano jednej z najlepszych kompozycji ostatnich lat w kategorii zespołów które również reprezentuje The Prophecy. Na wielkie brawa zasługuje tutaj m.in. niesamowita solówka, podczas której głośniki same kręcą się na całość. „Hope” to zdecydowanie najlepszy numer na płycie, a zarazem jej posumowanie. Podsumowanie płyty na którą wszyscy czekali!

Krótko mówiąc - zespół ten dołączył dzięki tej płycie do czołówki metalowego grania i mam nadzieję, że dzięki temu zostanie przez odbiorców doceniony i z biegiem lat będzie rósł w siłę.

From vs-webzine (France):

Sachant que THE PROPHECY vient tout droit de cette gaie région anglaise qu’est le Yorkshire, vous ne vous étonnerez point que le style pratiqué soit du bon doom/death comme MY DYING BRIDE le pratiquait. A croire qu’il y a quelque chose dans l’eau de cette région qui pousse tous les groupes de métal à jouer un style plus ou moins sombre (ANATHEMA, PARADISE LOST, MDB, pour ne citer qu’eux)…

« Into the Light » est le troisième opus des Anglais. Et pareil à son titre, le contenu du disque brouille les cartes.

J’ai écrit plus haut que THE PROPHECY officie dans un style doom/death caractéristique de la campagne anglaise. Ce n’est pas tout à fait juste. En effet, les Anglais ne peuvent être strictement catalogués dans cette catégorie ni dans une autre. Pour la simple raison qu’ils nous offrent deux facettes très opposées, façon clair/obscur.
D’un côté, ce doom/death tout à fait excellent, écrasant, avec une voix et des riffs proches de MDB. Etrangement. Joussivement. Et de l’autre côté, un rock progressif plus calme, avec cette voix nasillarde pleine d’émotion, ces arpèges lumineux ou ces nappes saturées liquides.
Pour vous donner deux exemples : le death a OPETH, le black a KATHAARSYS (Espagne). Et le doom/death a THE PROPHECY.

L’alternance des passages obscurs et clairs surprendra. Lors des premières écoutes tout au moins. Tant et si bien que l’on en vient à se demander s’il ne faudrait pas qu’ils scindent le groupe en deux projets, l’un rock atmo (à la ANATHEMA), l’autre doom/death ; tant le contraste est saisissant.
Mais lorsque la voix claire vient se poser sur une grosse rythmique bien lourde, le lien est fait. Et ces magnifiques passages reposants permettent d’apprécier la lourdeur des passages écrasants.

« Into the Light » est définitivement un album de contrastes qui montre la face la plus lourde du groupe mais aussi sa face la plus intime, technique, sans perdre une once de l’honnêteté qui transpire de ces chansons épiques (dans la longueur).

Les champs et couleurs peintes vous transporteront pour peu que vous preniez la peine de vous plonger en profondeur dans leur univers vraiment particulier et difficile d’accès. Passé la surprise, vous pourriez être réellement accro. Production impeccable, équilibrée. Rien à redire. Accompagné d’un visuel sobre, THE PROPHECY a atteint l’apogée de son style.

Matthieu

14.5/20

http://fyu.deathmetal.be/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1246&Itemid=26

Review: The Prophecy Written by [83/100] MetalMichel Tuesday, 21 April 2009 The Prophecy

Into The Light

When I saw this album’s cover, my enthusiasm dropped a bit. I know that’s a bit stupid of me, but I deeply believe that any album should have a strong, interesting cover. When you think of it, it’s basic marketing. Sliding this disc in my stereo, I became deeply aware of the fact that you should never, ever, judge a book by its cover. For a good fifty minutes, this album hypnotized me. This is pure, breathtaking doom metal. The kind of music that makes black seem like a light color, the kind of music that turns my desk into a shrine, the kind of music that moves me. It’s amazing to hear a doom band this technical! This is a genre that thrives because of the atmosphere it creates, not via sick drumming, tight riffing and intricate solos. But this album has! Amazing musicians, playing almost jazzy while still delivering stone cold doom. Not an easy task to achieve. I was most exited to hear that these Brits have released some other albums as well; I have high expectations for those! A little research told me they used to play a more straightforward death/doom style, but with this album, they established a sound off their own. Can’t wait to hear them live!

83/100
MetalMichel

http://www.heavymetal.no/show.article.asp?menuid=10&artid=9558

The Prophecy
Into the Light
show.image.asp
Code666/AURAL (20.02.09)

Into the light!

Jo, tittelen passer godt den...hvis du er en møll i nærheten av en UV-lampe... For dette har ingenting med håp, dur, eller lyset for den slags skyld. Dette er doom med fotnoter. Sistnevnte fordi du får servert mye garnityr til biffen din, selv om den er både blodig og gammel. Avantgarde-liknende temaer med en nydelig (mannlig) cleanvokal utruster bandet til å bli noe mer enn nok et konformt engelsk doom-ensemble.

Bandet har delt scene med My Dying Bride og Mourning Beloveth flere ganger; debuten ble sluppet på Blackdoom Records (Hamish og Andrew relatert label); trommisen John Bennett kjenner mange som skinnpisker på A Line Of Deathless Kings (MDB 2006) etc.etc. Av dette skjønner du litt av hva du har i vente hvis du investerer tid og penger i disse engelskmennene.

Interessant er ordet som treffer meg først, helt til den hinsides vakre Echoes kommer og svir seg veg inn i øregangene mine. Rolig, forsiktig og fylt til randen av grenseløs melankoli: Dette er elementer som trigger de riktige nervene til en kravstor genreelsker. Hadde bandet stått mer på dette bandet fremfor den mer brautende formen for metal de ynder å dyrke over større deler av skiva, hadde dette virkelig vært en skive for årene som kommer. Låta som følger avkrefter genialiteten Echoes ymtet frempå om. Belief Means Nothing og den hissige All is Lost er beklageligvis altfor sprikende og teknisk (ja, teknisk og masete!) til å kunne gi mening for undertegnede som respons på nevnte ekstase.

Det er heldigvis mye annet snadder å glede seg over innimellom all aggresjonen her. Låta Waters Deep tar heldigvis opp tråden mht. tristesse og følsomhet, og tilfører skiva troverdighet (innenfor genren) og klimakset i brua (rundt 6.00 min) med tilhørende vendepunkt nærmer seg perfeksjon! Her måler de tidvis krefter med selveste Anathema om superlativene. Vel blåst!

Hope utgjør sammen med nevnte Echoes og Waters Deep, selve grunnlaget for å forsvare en anbefaling om å kjøpe verket. Disse skal brennes på egen disk og nytes igjen og igjen, for dette var virkelig flott.

Det blir spennende å se hva dette bandet finner på fremover, for det har kimen i seg til virkelig å bli store. Kanskje ved neste korsveg?

The Prophecy to coraz bardziej znany zespół z Wielkiej Brytanii oscylujący wokół szeroko pojętego doom’u z elementami gothic’u i death metalu. Na swoim koncie mają na razie trzy, coraz bardziej z biegiem czasu dojrzałe albumy. Ostatni, jeszcze świeży – „Into The Light” – stawia grupę w wysokiej czołówce metalowej sceny. Pytanie tylko, na jak długo ich marka pozostanie w pamięci w muzycznym świecie.

Od samego początku słychać, że zespół dobrze odnajduje się w obranych kierunkach. Pierwszy, zarazem tytułowy kawałek zaczyna się bardzo nisko, wolno i dosadnie. Przesterowane gitary tworzą niecodzienny klimat, wraz z growlującym wokalem. Temat bardzo przypomina dokonania niemieckiego Crematory, a szczególnie ich wczesne nagrania. Pojawiają się delikatnie czyste motywy na gitarze elektrycznej i melodyjny wokal, którego emocjonalny wyraz pobija ostatnią płytę My Dying Bride na głowę. Delikatnie, poprzez smutny riff i stukające partie perkusyjne, wgryza się kolejny numer – „Delusion”. Między spokojnymi miejscami wyrzucona jest w nas porcja szybszych zagrywek okraszonych growlem. Ukazana jest tu wyjątkowa melodyka, przeplatająca się ze smutkiem i wielkim mentalnym dołem. Gitary są niesamowicie proste, nie ma zbędnych ozdobników i śmieci – prawdziwy majstersztyk. „Don’t Forget” gości słuchacza wysmakowanym brzmieniem i idealnym przestrzennym rozmieszczeniem zarejestrowanych ścieżek. Mocne fragmenty dochodzą tutaj do granic wzniosłości doom metalu. Po przesłuchaniu połowy numeru, można odnaleźć wręcz progresywne zagrywki, jak i miejscami Immortal’owe growlujące wypluwacze. Nieco szybsza jazdą dochodzimy do końca i kolejnej pozycji – „Echoes”. Mamy tu nieco taśmowy wydźwięk produkcyjny, przypominający undergroundowe demówki. Spokojny wokal lidera zespołu - Matta Lawsona – dryfuje, przez wyszukaną balladową kompozycję. Mimo, że od początku wiedziałem, że mam doczynienia z zespołem z UK, to praktycznie od samego zapominałem się, podchodząc do materiału, jakby był on rodem z Szwecji, bądź Norwegii. Wymieniony wyżej kawałek, bardzo przypomina Opeth (z poziomu obecnego ale 10 lat młodszy). Ballada trwa przed prawie dziesięć minut, ale mogła by trwać spokojnie, jeszcze z pięć – widać tu naprawdę wielki talent aranżacyjny. „Belfief Means Nothing” dla odmiany przywala kawałkiem solidnego death metalowego zacięcia od pierwszych sekund odtwarzania. Podoba mi się tutaj bardzo akcja perkusji i wszystkich talerzy. Mamy tutaj death/black metalowe riffy (na potrzebę doom’u dość zwolnione w tempie) i kolejne wyciszone zagrywki. W tym numerze już wyraźnie słychać Creamtory, co cieszy na równi z progresywnym podejściem do rozwiązań muzycznych. Naleciałości thrashowe objawiają się w następnym „All Is Lost”. Szybko jednak przeistaczają się w kolejna progresje zmieszaną z nisko strojonymi dźwiękami. Kawałek w późniejszej części rozwija skrzydła w czysto death metalowych pomysłach. W myśl żwawszych kompozycji, „Waters Deep” nie zwalnia z tempa, grając zarazem jaśniej i przejrzyściej. Pojawiają się rwane uderzenia, konsekwentna gotycka (czyli umiarkowanie udziwniona) perkusja i klawisze ukazujące kolejną twarz The Prophecy. Po pierwszych minutach mamy bardzo chill out’owe balladowe akustyki i wokal pełen przejmujących słów (warstwa tekstowa jest naprawdę udana). Wszystko znajduje upust w przesterowanych wybrzmiewających akordach. Mamy również tutaj miejsce na wyjątkową solówkę rodem z lat ’90 i ery niezapomnianych trashowych gigantów. Całość sunie w jednym klimacie, wraz z wieloma ozdobnikami i wymieszanymi partiami instrumentalnymi, wieńcząc dzieło. Ostatni numer na tej niespełna godzinnej płycie to niepowtarzalny „Hope”. Tutaj, zespół pokazał wyjątkową klasę. Nie mogło być większego prezentu dla słuchaczy niż taki smaczek na sam koniec krążka. Jeśli ktoś chce wiedzieć, jak z prostego riffu gitarowego zrobić kawałek, który zostanie zapamiętany na bardzo długi okres czasu to musi tego posłuchać. Jest to bowiem perfekcyjna ballada z niesamowicie skomponowanym refrenem. Dziesięć minut podniosłego grania mogło by się bez problemu starać o miano jednej z najlepszych kompozycji ostatnich lat w kategorii zespołów które również reprezentuje The Prophecy. Na wielkie brawa zasługuje tutaj m.in. niesamowita solówka, podczas której głośniki same kręcą się na całość. „Hope” to zdecydowanie najlepszy numer na płycie, a zarazem jej posumowanie. Podsumowanie płyty na którą wszyscy czekali!

Krótko mówiąc - zespół ten dołączył dzięki tej płycie do czołówki metalowego grania i mam nadzieję, że dzięki temu zostanie przez odbiorców doceniony i z biegiem lat będzie rósł w siłę.

http://www.heavyhardes.de/review-5088.html

The Prophecy? Nie gehört. Gut, ich kenne mehr als einen Song gleichen Namens und die brasilianischen Thrasher Prophecy ohne den anführenden bestimmten Artikel, aber diese englische Band um Sänger Matt Lawson ist für mich eine totale Unbekannte. Gemäß dem ausweisenden Beipackzettel wird mir von Doom Metal berichtet und einer Band, die mit Into The Light bereits ihr drittes Studioalbum nach Ashes (2003) und Revelations (2007) veröffentlicht.
Somit betrete ich mit Into The Light Neuland und lausche den ersten Tönen des Titeltracks und zugleich Openers. Getragener Doom Death Metal in der Tradition von Szenegrößen wie etwa My Dying Bride, Swallow The Sun, Officium Triste oder den irischen Überfliegern Mourning Beloveth, die ich sehr schätze.
Jedoch geben sich die vier lärmenden Engländer hier weitaus vielschichtiger. Der Beginn von "Delusion" zum Beispiel beginnt wie ein progressiver Rocktrack mit Akustikgitarre und verhaltenem Drumming. Matt singt mit sanfter melodischer Stimme, um beim Einsetzen der elektrischen Distortion-Gitarren die tiefen Death-Growls rauszupressen. Dies zieht sich alternierend durch den kompletten Song. Starkes Stück. Progressives Feeling zeigt sich auch in dem mit einer feinen Psychotic Waltz-Melodie ausgestatteten "Don't Forget". Atmosphärisch dunkel und romantisch zugleich erfreut das nachfolgende ohne Growls auskommende "Echoes" die Lauschlappen in knappen zehn Minuten. Getragen durch Cello und wiederum akustischen Sechssaitigen steigt die Komposition in tragisch brachiale Sphären hoch und klingt dennoch zerbrechlich aber nicht pathetisch wehleidig. Hier kommen mir direkt die mächtigen 70er Jahre-Alben der klassischen Prog Rock-Bands in den Sinn. Dass man auch wie Six Feet Under rumpöbeln kann, beweist in Auszügen das wiederum vielschichtige "Belief Means Nothing". Verspielte Drumfills oder die starken Rhythmusgitarren machen aber ferner keine Gefangenen. "Waters Deep" könnte auch von Opeth stammen. Ein episches Füll an Emotionen und Stimmungsschwankungen. Oh Du schöne Traurigkeit.
Eine starke Platte, die umso mehr überrascht, wenn man als Hörender absolut nichts erwartet und dann so geplättet wird. Ein unkonventionelles Stück Musik, das keinem generellen Regelwerk gehorcht. Die Vielfalt der Scheibe erfasst man erst nach zig Umläufen. Ein überaus ambitioniertes Werk der Insulaner, das sich in keiner Weise hinter den Genregrößen zu verstecken braucht. Ein Hammer vor dem Herrn! Wer sowohl auf traditionellen Doom mit progressiver Schlagseite steht, als sich auch mit etwa 30-40 Prozent der Gesangsteile an Death Metal-Grunts ergötzen kann, sollte Into The Light schnellstens auf seinen audiophilen Speiseplan notieren. Mahlzeit!

http://hierophant-nox.com/reviews/theprophecyintothelightreview.htm
The third full-length album of UK death-doom act The Prophecy is a difficult disc for me to approach; I liked 2003’s "Ashes", but I ADORED 2007’s "Revelations", a sprawling, soaring yet utterly morose release, boasting bucketloads of the sublime. To begin with, "Into the Light" stumped me a little, but after repeated listens I can conclude that while it doesn’t quite choke me up for an hour like its predecessor can, it’s a highly accomplished, focused dosage of carefully-structured misery. Despite its title, "Into the Light" sees The Prophecy take a darker, meaner turn, its pained emotions brooding beneath the surface, for the most part, rather than pouring out in anguish. The opening title track sets the pattern for the whole, with a sparse, murky intro creating expectant wonder, before the solemn onslaught of crushing, very British doom riffs and growled vocals take control. The typical switch up to clean gentleness, when it comes, seems too incongruous, but then the song swells and swallows all of its carefully-laid themes into one slow-burning whole, pitching moments of climax and reflection cleverly against each other to keep the interest levels high.
"Delusion", "Belief Means Nothing" and "All is Lost" make use of similar tactics, but bring with them a variation of guitar approaches, with a harder, chuggier death metal edge making its presence known. The excellent production carries these changes well, maintaining the sad, deep doom sound and making every twist crystal clear. Well-proportioned keyboards, in particular on "All is Lost", support this mixture of depth and soaring melancholy. "Into the Light" is more subtle than The Prophecy’s previous work; although Greg gets to let rip with a couple of breathtaking solos, he seems more constrained and devilish this time around, with less of the explosive virtuosity that characterised the last album. Tonal play and rhythmical trickery demand a closer ear than big emotive blasts, but can be rewarding all the same.
The concluding two tracks seem to see The Prophecy unleashed a little more, with "Waters Deep" witnessing Matt Lawson break out the kind of vocal soars that made tracks such as "Broken" and "Willow’s Hope" so beautiful; a progressive, strong, moving composition. "Hope" finally sees the band pull together their new-found control with a gorgeous structure, the cello accompaniment to which defies the listener to stay emotionally unattached. It seems that on "Into the Light", The Prophecy set out to show a more mature side; their hooks were never ‘easy’, given the sprawling nature of their songs, but their new material makes the listener work harder. Occasionally it sounds like growing pains are being experienced, but the album’s strong conclusion hints that the band are very much in control of their direction.
theprophecyintothelight.jpg

74/100

Ellen Simpson

http://masterful-magazine.com/recenzja_result.php?wynik=detail&rodzaj=recenzje&id=2446

Pierwsze skojarzenie pobiegło w kierunku naszych niedocenianych rodaków z Cemetery of Scream. Muzyka The Prophecy ma podobnie jesienne wibracje. Jesień w wydaniu Brytyjczyków jest nieco bardziej niewieścia w znaczeniu "zmienna". Momentami obserwuję powrót lata. Muzycy poczynają sobie wówczas zbyt słodko, lekko i niezobowiązująco. Szczęśliwie wakacyjna przygoda z reguły nie trwa długo i nawet jeśli nie zawsze kończy się sercowym dramatem, to na brak oparów mgielnych narzekać nie mogę. Żałuję, że twórcy "Into The Ligot" nie popisują się częściej środkami wyrazu zbliżonymi do tych, jakie zastosowali w siódmym na liście "All Is Lost". Sielanka przerodziła się w zdecydowanie niespodziewany atak zimy. Ta ustąpiła równie szybko jak się pojawiła, ale i tak zdążyła szarpnąć za zwierzęcą nutę. Trzeba przyznać, że The Prophecy w ramach gotycko/rockowej estetyki wypadają przekonywująco. Duża w tym zasługa nieuczesanej nostalgii, jakiej w bród na "Into The Light".

The Prophecy

"Into the Light"

(code 666 -- 2009)

The Prophecy - "Into the Light"
Troisième album pour les doomsters anglais de The Prophecy, qui continuent à explorer les charmes du doom-death. Mais ici, ce ciment est décoré de passages atmosphériques, avec voix claires, nettement réussis. Certes, les dérives quasi-pop ne sont alors pas loin, mais le groupe parvient à ne pas trop sombrer dans le mièvre grâce au recours à des plans mélodiques qui rappellent l'Anathema époque "Elegy". Sensible mais pas guimauve. D'autant que le chanteur se sort vraiment très bien, techniquement parlant, de ses parties claires.
Evidemment, le groupe redonne tout de suite après dans le gros riffing doom et la grosse voix. Le problème, car il y en a toujours un, réside dans un certain manque de raffinement lors des passages doom, qui jurent vraiment trop avec les moments calmes. Raffiné, vous me direz qu'un disque de doom n'a pas forcément à l'être. Certes. Mais de là à tomber dans une certaine balourdise, il y a un pas dont le franchissement n'est pas recommandé. Or, ici, c'est bien de la balourdise dont les riffs doom s'approchent dangereusement. On les croirait parfois presque venus d'Allemagne : c'est dire ! Le résultat est que l'on s'ennuie assez fréquemment pour ne pouvoir décerner un satisfecit plein et entier. Et aussi, je ne sais pas ce qu'ont en ce moment les mecs des groupes, mais ici également, les conclusions des titres sont proprement à chier, avec des arrêt brutaux et sans préavis, qui ne renforcent évidemment pas la cohésion de l'ensemble. "Into the light" est à mon sens un album bien moyen, qui ne parvient que trop rarement à vous embarquer dans son monde. The Prophecy a manifestement atteint son plafond de compétence dans sa configuration stylistique actuelle.

Alexis Kieffer Decibels Storm - avril 2009

Qu'y a-t-il de plus beau, de plus pur, de plus émotionnel que le doom ? Où quand la douleur devient un art. Qu'y a-t-il de plus beau, de plus pur, de plus émotionnel que Into The Light, troisième pierre que The Prophecy sculpte d'un édifice déjà remarquable. S'il ne reste plus grand chose de la sainte trilogie du UK doom des années 90, entre un My Dying Bride désormais en pilotage automatique, un Anathema qui a honte de son passé et un Paradise Lost qui a déserté la cause, avec réussite néanmoins, le genre a pourtant essaimé des rejetons. The Prophecy est l'un d'eux. Les connexions avec le groupe de Aaron Stainthorpe existent d'ailleurs. Tous les deux viennent d'Halifax, le batteur John Bennet a dépanné l'ancêtre entre 2006 et 2007 et le dauphin a fait appel autrefois au violon et aux claviers.
Toutefois, débutant donc dans une veine très doom death avec Ashes en 2003, The Prophecy a peu à peu trouvé son identité, son style, en accostant des rivages plus mélodiques. Cette troisième offrande peut être considérée comme l'aboutissement de cette évolution. De fait, ils ont trouvé l'équilibre parfait entre noirceur rageuse et tristesse absolue. Le chant, tour à tour caverneux ou carrément plus émotionnel, est la clé de voûte de cette cathédrale que rongent ces deux sentiments. Ce nombre d'or a aussi été atteint en terme d'écriture, les titres, bien que toujours d'une longueur conséquentes, bénéficiant d'une architecture plus solide, plus fluide, aidé en cela par la production de Greg Chandler (Esoteric).
Into The Light agglomère huit odes douloureuses, désespérées et lumineuses à la fois. Le chemin de croix est entamé avec le charbonneux morceau éponyme, sans doute le plus death de tous, avec ses ruptures rythmiques où le temps semble s'arrêter, agonisant. Mais, toujours, il y a la voix claire de Matt Lawson (exceptionnel tout du long) à faire couler des larmes chez le plus endurci d'entre vous, qui vient contrebalancer cette négativité minérale.
"Delusion" et "Don't Forget" illustrent parfaitement la musique forgée par le groupe qui sait éviter de par trop s'abîmer dans une lenteur monolithique. Leur art ne se veut peut-être pas le plus dépressif mais il compense par une beauté poignante que ces complaintes irradient avec justesse, à l'image de cette ballade doom qu'est le magnifique "Echoes", respiration mélancolique et manière de pause avant la descente à la mine constituée de "Belief Means Nothing" et du terrible "All Is Lost", sur lequel plane l'ombre du grand Opeth. Ce sont des torrents vertigineux emportés par des guitares qui viennent toujours souligner le désespoir des lignes vocales.
Puis survient "Waters Deep", le sommet de l'album, longue échappée tragique éclairée par moment par le fantôme du Anathema de jadis et durant laquelle Lawson pleure l'inexorabilité de la vie. Comment ne pas être touché, ému lorsqu'il chante "I feel there's no time for us, I feel there's no place for us".
Enfin, Into The Light meurt sur le déchirant "Hope" que tissent des riffs qui portent toute la douleur du monde. Pour l'instant, tout simplement le meilleur album dans le genre, avec le Death Magic Doom de Candlemass, de l'année 2009 ! Un chef-d'oeuvre.

9/10

http://www.metallibrary.ru/articles/reviews/6637.html

"По мнению "Вед", есть два пути ухода из этого мира: один при свете, а другой во тьме. Если человек уходит при свете, он больше не возвращается, но если он уходит во тьме, то он вернётся снова". ("Бхагавад-Гита")
Не знаю, кому как, мне в этот мир загреметь в очередной раз не хотелось бы. Так что наш выбор ухода – при свете или, вернее, в свете – "Into The Light" то бишь. Такое случается редко, но когда получаешь диск непосредственно из рук музыканта, порой приходиться поднапрячься: а что делать, если на этот раз группа облажалась, чего писать-то в таком случае?! В этот раз тревог-сомнений не было: диск был получен на MoscowDoomFest'е, и на тот момент уже около месяца одними из самых популярных треков в моём виртуальном плэй-листе были "Waters Deep" и "Belief Means Nothing", прослушать которые я не упускал случая, всякий раз, когда заходил на MySpace страницу The Prophecy. Первая из этих композиций – десятиминутный эпический трек с мощным хэви-вступлением и преобладающим чистым вокалом, полным тяжёлой меланхолии и разочарования, радовала разнообразием музыкальных ходов и мелодий. Глубокие акустические пассажи плавно переходили в потрясающие соло, чистый голос сменялся уверенным громогласным рыком, нарушая пространность ведущей темы, и трек разрывало death-doom неистовство, незаметно подводившее к закономерному финалу – обречённое сознание уносилось в глубину вод, которым было бесполезно сопротивляться. А дорожка с хрестоматийным названием "Belief Means Nothing", начинавшаяся безхитростным классическим английским death-doom'ом, наводила меня на мысль о том, что приставка "progressive" в отношении определения стилистики группы применяется неслучайно. Действительно, если у дэтстеров есть Opeth, то теперь у думстеров есть The Prophecy. Кардинальная смена темпа за одну композицию, да так, чтобы она слушалась интересно и целостно, стала обычным делом; вариации с классическими риффами и фирменным (хочу заметить кристально чистым) звучанием оставляют место прогрессивным соло, набирающим скорость и внезапно сбрасывающим её, не давая опомниться; чувство беспомощного отчаяния и разбитости рассеивается проблеском далёкой надежды, глубокое разочарование приводит к новому взгляду на уродливую действительность, меланхолия разражается безудержной яростью, которая успокаивается подобно шторму, исчерпавшему всю свою силу и обернувшегося штилем. "Into The Light" не успевает надоесть, и при своём разнообразии не вызывает сумбурных впечатлений, так как укладываясь в рамки приличия, мужчины играют далеко нетривиальную, ограниченную жёсткими рамками стиля музыку. Мэт Лоусон, вокалист The Prophecy, при своём козырном гроуле очевидно стал отдавать предпочтение пению чистым голосом, что часто требует соответствующего музыкального обрамления, так что я не удивлюсь, если однажды под маркой группы будет издан полностью акустический альбом. Однако при всех кажущихся склонностях к лиричности, дядьки ловко зашибают такие бронебойный треки как "Belief Means Nothing" и "All Is Lost" (даже названия выбраны однозначные и прямолинейные), демонстрируя слушателю всю мощь группы – прям как танки на параде... Тут же словно в противовес упражнениям в скорости мы находим превосходную душевную композицию "Echoes", раскрывающую "человечную" сторону группы, а чего поделаешь – все мы... люди. Подобные элегии аккуратно затрагивают что-то в глубине души, что-то, в чём теперь не принято признаваться, что-то, что есть у каждого, что должно держать при себе. И эта тема "человечности" последовательно проходит через весь альбом, окончательно раскрываясь на финальном треке "Hope". На самом деле, очень редко попадаются такие содержательные релизы, рад, что послушал "Into The Light", рад, что видел The Prophecy на сцене. Рекомендовано к приобретению. Только ничего не перепутайте, ведь в мире существует как минимум двадцать одна группа с таким названием, но, как сказал, гитарист The Prophecy Грег О'Шеа: "Двадцать одна? Пускай, но мы – лучшие, всем остальным "однофамильцам" нас не переиграть". Грег прав.