THE PROPHECY - "Into the Light" - REVIEWS

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=222765

Excellent Doom - 90% [SIZE=-1]Written by Waspman on June 23rd, 2009[/SIZE]

Bradford England’s The Prophecy have been kicking around since 2001. With album titles like ASHES, and REVELATIONS, and tours with the likes of My Dying Bride under their belt, there is no doubt as to what type of metal they play: doom! Sadly I have not heard the aforementioned previous albums, but from reading reviews and fan comments it is clear that they are highly regarded in doom circles. With this in mind, let’s see what INTO THE LIGHT has to offer.

Kicking in immediately with powerful riffs and growled vocals, the title track wastes no time making an impression. The expected melancholic feeling of doom metal is instantly noticeable, as the band weaves a roiling tapestry of sound from crushing guitar, achingly slow, pounding rhythms, and the howling vocals. After slowing down to near silent introspection, the tempo builds, vocalist Matt Lawson adds in clean vocals (the growls and clean singing are split about 40/60 throughout the album), and the song crests like one of the waves on the album cover.

The rest of the album follows this template and the band is relentless with their style of crushing doom. The only points of light are the occasional guitar melodies and Lawson’s oddly endearing clean vocals, which admittedly are not that strong and thus, an acquired taste. Opeth fans take note: his growls are a dead-ringer for Mikael Akerfeldt.

As you’d expect with doom metal, the songs are lengthy for the most part. While some bands struggle to make their long songs consistently engaging, The Prophecy have no such problems. In fact, their two longest songs, “Echoes” and “Waters Deep” are probably the two best on the album. Both are near-perfect examples of the emotional power present in the best mournful doom metal songs.

As I mentioned above, The Prophecy are well-liked amongst doom fans, and after hearing this album it is obvious they deserve it. I strongly encourage doom fans to check out INTO THE LIGHT – this will be one of the best doom albums you’ll hear in 2009.

http://www.estmetal.ee/?p=5307

Suurbritanniast on ikka tulnud head doom/deathi, võiks ütelda, et see lausa sellise sümbioosi sünnimaa – üheksakümnendate alguses külvasid seda vilja ju Anathema, My Dying Bride ja Paradise Lost nii, et siiani paljud bändid neid oma eeskujudeks seavad ja nende järgi talitavad. Ja ikka tekib kihk uuemaidki bände ja nende albumeid võrrelda nende vanade gigantidega. Enamasti kahjuks üle vana varju ei hüpata. 1999 aastal loodud The Prophecy on oma selle aasta albumiga võtnud ette julge käigu ning üritanud doom/deathi segada väga paljude erinevate stiilide ja varjunditega. 58 minutit kestev „Into The Light“ sisaldab teemasid karmikoelisest doomist sünge death-thrashini, domineerivaks aga tõuseb üllataval kombel nn intellektuaalset laadi proge metal. Seda hoolimata algul ootamatult kõrvu kostvast nimiloost, kus karm äkiliselt ründav rögin ’mydyingbrideliku’ metalkompositsiooniga meeled põksuma paneb. Ootamatuma suuna võtab stiil veel selles samas loos, kui üllatavalt õnnetult kõlav puhas nn lüüriline vokaal esile kerkib. Võtab pikalt aega, enne kui seda kõike hoomata suudan ning kahjuks bändi mahedam pool jääbki mind häirima. Albumi kestes muutub see osa ka domineerivaks jättes mind igavledes plaadi lõppu ootama.
prophecyband.jpg
Muusikaliselt on tegemist siiski üle keskmise huvitava väljalaskega, eriti nauditavad on alguses kõlavad lood „Into The Light“ ja „Don’t Forget“, mis võiksid vabalt kõlada MDB omaaegse kultusalbumi „Turn Loose The Swans“ peal, kui just clean-vox asja ära ei rikuks. Paralleele tooksin The Gatheringiga, mis enne naisvokaalini jõudmist katsetas suhteliselt ebaõnnestunult ’jaagupkreemilikku’ meeslauljat (Niels Duffhues). Loomulikult on siin tegemist aga minu pirtsaka maitsemeelega, mis ei soovi just väga mesiseid meeshääli kuulda. Nukravõitu nostalgitsemist on siin rohkesti ning lüürilise ilusmetalli austajatele peaks see album vägagi meeltmööda olema.

.hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family:Verdana } http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?r=1232

OK, I must confess, I have a taste for rather shitty or un-inspired Doom bands. Cast me the first stone, but I have trouble to resist the urge on getting my hands on any piece of wax with music under 80 BPM. This is why I like The Prophecy's 'Ashes' album, despite it being a rather average english Doom/Death style release. So when I got hold of their new release, all I thought was "Cool. Known lands ahead, easy to explore". Boy, how I was wrong.

The band takes no time with intros or other things designed to appease the listener before going to the heart of the subject. 'Into The Light' starts with the title track, and massive riffs is the name of the game. No wonder when you see this album was produced by Greg Chandler, of Esoteric. But cast in marble riffing is not what makes this album stands out. Songwriting has improved also. A lot improved. And the band isn't scared to experiment a bit with up-tempos or different vocal styles either (kudos must be given to the work of vocalist Matt Lawson, whose clean voice is worth jumping from the Dover cliffs for). The main positive point is that the album sounds all the time like a well-constructed piece, and not like a collection of songs. Also, The Prophecy sounds all the way mournful as a banshee wailing.

The emotions displayed are palpable, and a bit of progressive sound do also the trick in expanding the musical possibilities of the band, as songs like 'Echoes' or 'Waters Deep'are what Anathema should have released on 'Eternity'. Mind you, if you like Opeth, then here's their Doom Metal cousins. This is sorrowful, yet peaceful, Doom/Death of the highest calibre. This is worthy of being compared to the masters of the genre, like My Dying Bride or Mourning Beloveth. Most important, this is only their third album. They have now plenty of time to release an even better record. I'm impatient to see where they'll go sailing next.

.hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family:Verdana } Grey Day Zine - Spain

http://www.greyday.es/the-prophecy-into-the-light

SPANISH

SOBRE LA BANDA:
Las andanzas de The Prophecy comienzan en 2001 cuando John Bennet y Greg O`Shea conocen al cantante Matt Lawson en un antro de Bradford, semanas después los tres ya habían grabado su primera demo Her Embrace, My Ruin, practicando el mismo estilo que en la actualidad, un Doom Death muy del corte del realizado por sus compatriotas My Dying Bride, con los que por desgracia para ellos, siempre han tenido que sufrir comparaciones. Into The Light es el tercer trabajo de estudio de la banda y el primero que han grabado bajo el regazo de la discográfica Code 666.

ME GUSTA:
+ La voz de Matt Lawson como The Prophecy, con el paso de los años ha crecido muchísimo, con cada disco que publican mas me gusta como canta, sus growls son bastante buenos y la voz limpia es bastante correcta.
+ Los patrones de batería de Joe Bennet, y algunas percusiones que introduce, no entiendo muy bien porque la gente de My Dying Bride le dejo marchar, me parece mucho mejor batería para este estilo que el señor Dan Mullins.
+ La producción de Into The Light que ha corrido por cuenta de Greg Chandler, músico perteneciente a los grandisimos Esoteric, este tío ha vuelto a demostrar que es un genio y convierte en oro todo lo que toca dentro del Doom.

ME DISGUSTA:
+ The Prophecy han tenido que vivir muchos años a la sombra de My Dying Bride, por ser también de Yorkshire y practicar una música calcada a la de Aaron y cia, por suerte con Into The Light demuestran que ha madurado y no solo viven de copiar a sus vecinos.
+ Algunos solos de guitarra me matan y es que servidor salvo en el Traditional Doom, no entiende que se cuelen solos de guitarra dentro del Doom, SOLOS NO! para mi es algo como una regla no escrita que se debe cumplir a rajatabla.
+ En ocasiones la música tiene partes de excesiva melosidad, eso unido a que es Doom Metal, hará que mucha gente se lo piense antes de escuchar el ultimo álbum de The Prophecy.

MEJORES TEMAS:
2.Delusion
Un tema en los que mas se lucen los growls de Matt Lawson.
7.Waters Deep
El corte mas largo de Into The Light y en el que creo que mas reluce la madurez de la banda.

ULTIMAS PALABRAS:
Into The Light creo sinceramente que es la consagración de The Prophecy como banda de Doom Death y el disco que les hará ser algo mas en el panorama musical, que una banda de las absorbidas por la alargada sombra de My Dying Bride en este genero; Si conocías con anterioridad a esta formación y estas acostumbrado a escuchar este estilo de música, rápidamente te darás cuenta que han grabado el mejor disco de su carrera y es que todos sus componentes han crecido un poco en Into The Light comparándoles con su anterior Revelations, las voces de Matt Lawson, las percusiones de Bennet, incluso los riffs guitarreros doomies por excelencia suenan mejor que antaño. Lo dicho si te va el Doom Death no dejes de escuchar esta grabación.

5/6

http://atmospheric.pl/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2704&Itemid=2

5 out 6

Brytyjski zespół THE PROPHECY obraca się w stylistyce lirycznego, niekonwencjonalnego, progresywnego metalu. Trzecia w jego dorobku płyta „Into The Light” opiera się na fundamencie klasycznego doom/death metalu, jednak w połowie można ją też nazwać po prostu prog/dark metalem (przywodzącym na myśl eteryczne oblicze PORCUPINE TREE, czy też MARILLION z Hogarthem). Ton całej twórczości tej grupy nadaje wokalista Matt Lawson, który ma dwa gardła:). Albo growluje rasowo, acz melodyjnie, albo śpiewa naturalną barwą, dźwięcznie i jeszcze bardziej melodyjnie. Odpowiednio do tych dwóch, dialogujących ze sobą interpretacji dopasowana jest muzyka. Cięższa lub bardziej lekka. Wolna lub szybka. Brutalna lub łagodna. Kapela umiejętnie rozpisuje aranżacje między ciężkie, pulsacyjne, doomowe riffy a czysto, niemal rockowo brzmiące gitary i akustyki oraz klawisze, które po prostu bogacą tło, bez żadnych motywów prowadzących. Świetnie wypadają również wzmocnienia między fragmentami wyciszonymi, balladowymi, a tymi brzmiącymi w pełni, oddychającymi pełną piersią, w których napastliwy growling atakuje. Na zasadzie kontrastów są skonstruowane prawie wszystkie utwory z „Into The Light”, aczkolwiek chyba najlepszym przykładem jest „Echoes” - jedna z najbardziej zapadających w pamięci kompozycji. Bez względu jednak na brzmienie, formę i środki wyrazu cała muzyka THE PROPHECY nacechowana jest emocjami tworzącymi atmosferę. Ból, nostalgia, poryw nadziei... Przemożny klimat kreowany przez zespół (bez względu na to, czy jest on eteryczny, senny, namaszczony ożywiony, czy totalnie dołujący) samoistnie udziela się słuchaczowi, przez co chce się powracać do tego albumu jeszcze i jeszcze... [Kasia]

Untitled DocumentYorkshire Doom Death metallers The Prophecy have announced three dates at the end of august

29th Aug - Pand Demonium -Antwerpen - BE
30th Aug - The Lane - Oostburg - NL
31st Aug - The Old Bell Hotel - Derby - UK

In other news The Prophecy once again entered 'Priory Studios' in 2009 to record a one off track that will be featured on 'Code 666' ten year anniversary CD 'Better Undead than Alive 2" to be released later in the year.

The Prophecy feature on the 2009 released DVD 'Chronicles of Doom' alongside Reverend Bizarre, Saturnus, The Gates of Slumber and many more. The DVD was professonally shot in 2006 at the Dutch Doom day and is out 'Weird Truth' productions from Japan.

The band will also be making an appearance at the Dublin Doom Day on the 12th September alongside Esoteric, Saturnus and the Lamp of Thoth.

The Prophecy's third album 'Into the Light' is currently available on code666 records. You can order it and/or other merchandise from http://www.the-prophecy.net

Video available here : http://www.youtube.com/v/uTdrMYLrar8&hl=en&fs=1

http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/Reviews/albums/2-5849_the_prophecy_into_the_light.aspx

The Prophecy - _Into the Light_
(Code666, 2009)

by: Paul Williams (9 out of 10)

Living in the United Arab Emirates, you would have thought that there is very little that could get a person down. With all the sunny weather, warmth and the smiling faces of people who are generally happy with all the opportunities at their feet, you would have thought that nobody could get depressed. That is as long as they never hear _Into the Light_, The Prophecy's third full-length expedition into deathened doom metal.These Brits produce some of the most soul crushing, emotionally charged doom around, but then what else would you play if you came from a place like Yorkshire? Whether the band members had a bad experience on a farm when they were younger or just find the ramblings of country folk to be suicidal thought provoking (I know I do), they have tapped into the same frosty vein of winter induced gloominess that is reminiscent of My Dying Bride in slower sections, but with a deathly touch of hell inspired blitz.
There is nothing inspiring about "Into the Light" however; crawling along at a snail's pace with demon grunts and moments of deliberately dreary silence before switching to a clean section. Those sections host haunting vocals that are notably different to the mourning style of Aaron Stainthorpe, but still contain a certain 'oomph' of emotive serenading. "Echoes" shows the band's more progressive side, while still maintaining the doom touches, with the song building constantly upon itself with guitar interludes and chugging riffs that get topped off with powerful solos. Of course for every emotion ridden song, The Prophecy sees fit to counter attack with an equally vicious melody, and that is why the beastial "Belief Means Nothing" exists: an infectious tune that is one part semi-technical ferocity and one part hopeless despairing lyrics.
Although many of you will probably agree with me when I say that one of the most saddening thoughts that comes to mind when listening to this band is that they have to live in Yorkshire, the other slightly maddening and extremely gloomy consideration is why a band like this is still supporting acts like My Dying Bride when it is obvious that they have their own outlook on the doom genre and can carry off their emotive material like any other group of gloomy bastards.

THE PROPHECY SCHEDULED FOR DUTCH DOOM DAY

The band are pleased to be able to announce that they will be playing this years Dutch Doom Day Festival on Sunday the 25th October. This will be the 8th edition of the annual festival held at the Baroeg in Rotterdam. So far confirmed are Lord Vicar, Ereb Altor, Spiritus Mortis and The 11th Hour.

In other Dutch Doom Day related news, The Prophecy are featured on the
2009 released DVD 'Chronicles of Doom' alongside Reverend Bizarre, Saturnus, The Gates of Slumber and many more. The DVD was professonally shot at the Dutch Doom day in 2006 and is out 'Weird Truth' productions from Japan.

The Prophecy will also be making an appearance at the first edition of the Dublin Doom Day on September 12th 2009 alongside Esoteric, Saturnus and The Lamp of Thoth.

http://www.greekrebels.gr/album-reviews/834-the-prophecy-into-the-light-code-666

The Prophecy - Into the light (code 666) Συντάχθηκε απο τον/την Greekrebels.gr Team Κυριακή, 30 Αύγουστος 2009 11:41
theprophecy_intothelight.jpg
Ποιος κερατάς άνοιξε τον τάφο αυτό τον μήνα;; Οι Τhe Prophecy είναι μια μπάντα που σχηματίστηκε το 2001 και έλαβε αμέσως δράση καθώς 2 βδομάδες μετά τον σχηματισμό της είχαν ηχογραφήσει κιόλας το πρώτο τους demo ‘her embrace, my ruin’ και 6 μήνες μετά το δεύτερο τους ‘to end all hope’ το οποίο τους εξασφάλισε μια θέση στο Doomination of Europe fest δίπλα στους Mourning Beloveth. Αμέσως μετά σκάει συμφωνία με την τοπική δισκογραφική Black Doom Records και ηχογραφούν το ντεμπούτο τους ‘Ashes’ που με τη σειρά του τους έδωσε την ευκαιρία να περιοδεύσουν με τους συμπατριώτες τους, My Dying Bride, στα πλαίσια το Doomnation of America. Ακολουθεί το μακράν καλύτερο album τους μέχρι στιγμής, ‘Revelations’ το 2006 και πολλά πολλά tours. Γενικότερα οι The Prophecy είναι μπάντα που το ‘χει σε 2 σημαντικούς τομείς: 1) Παίζουν doom-death metal της Αγγλικής σχολής αλλά παρόλο ότι πάνε προς Mourning Beloveth, με λίγο My Dying Bride και μια τζούρα Swallow the Sun, έχουν καταφέρει να χτίσουν το δικό τους στυλ. 2) Το νιώθουν! Όταν τελείωσα με την ακρόαση του δίσκου και κυρίως το κλείσιμο με το ‘Hope’, ήμουν πεπεισμένη πως δεν υπάρχει φως! Με λίγα λόγια αποδεικνύουν ότι δεν χρειάζεται να είσαι fake για να σκοτεινιάσεις την μικρής ου μουσική γωνίτσα. Αν και ο προκάτοχος του ήταν κάποιες σκάλες ανώτερο αλλά λιγότερο κιθαριστικό, το ‘into the light’ συνεχίζει να είναι απ’ τις καλύτερες δουλειές που έχει παρουσιάσει μέχρι στιγμή η μπάντα. Το μόνο που συνεχίζει να με χαλάει κάπως είναι τα καθαρά του τραγουδιστή που ακόμη χρειάζονται στρώσιμο σε μερικά σημεία. Αυτός είναι ο 3ος full length δίσκος τους αλλά έτσι όπως το πάνε οι φίλοι μας οι Άγγλοι τους βλέπω να μας δείχνουν πολλά στο μέλλον.
8/10
Αγγελική Καπίρη
siren_s_tristan@yahoo.gr

From maelstrom.nu

Continuing what they had begun on their Revelations album, The Prophecy push further their brand of heavy doom / death metal. Into the Light couples highly melodic clean singing and melancholic (not to mention melodramatic) moods alternating with the aural assault of brutish grunts and amplifier-ridden guitars.
Imagine a melodic metal outfit struck with an acute form of schizophrenia, a sort of musical Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde case; grunts of death and sorrow spewed out of the same throat that later on produces almost saccharine-sweet high-pitched vocals, singing shooting lullabies for forsaken lovers.
The clear voice surely belongs to the progressive rock / metal school and is a tad wimpy for its own good, not to mention when being coupled with the vocalist's own austere and vitriolic grunts. Overall, Into the Light is quite a satisfying recording with an abundance of unexplored territories in melodic doom-oriented death metal. (6/10)

review by: Chaim Drishner

http://cerclenoir.blogspot.com/2009/04/prophecy-into-light-2009.html

THE PROPHECY - INTO THE LIGHT (2009)

Code 666 - 9/10

Qu'y a-t-il de plus beau, de plus pur, de plus émotionnel que le doom ? Où quand la douleur devient un art. Qu'y a-t-il de plus beau, de plus pur, de plus émotionnel que Into The Light, troisième pierre que The Prophecy sculpte d'un édifice déjà remarquable. S'il ne reste plus grand chose de la sainte trilogie du UK doom des années 90, entre un My Dying Bride désormais en pilotage automatique, un Anathema qui a honte de son passé et un Paradise Lost qui a déserté la cause, avec réussite néanmoins, le genre a pourtant essaimé des rejetons. The Prophecy est l'un d'eux. Les connexions avec le groupe de Aaron Stainthorpe existent d'ailleurs. Tous les deux viennent d'Halifax, le batteur John Bennet a dépanné l'ancêtre entre 2006 et 2007 et le dauphin a fait appel autrefois au violon et aux claviers.
Toutefois, débutant donc dans une veine très doom death avec Ashes en 2003, The Prophecy a peu à peu trouvé son identité, son style, en accostant des rivages plus mélodiques. Cette troisième offrande peut être considérée comme l'aboutissement de cette évolution. De fait, ils ont trouvé l'équilibre parfait entre noirceur rageuse et tristesse absolue. Le chant, tour à tour caverneux ou carrément plus émotionnel, est la clé de voûte de cette cathédrale que rongent ces deux sentiments. Ce nombre d'or a aussi été atteint en terme d'écriture, les titres, bien que toujours d'une longueur conséquentes, bénéficiant d'une architecture plus solide, plus fluide, aidé en cela par la production de Greg Chandler (Esoteric).
Into The Light agglomère huit odes douloureuses, désespérées et lumineuses à la fois. Le chemin de croix est entamé avec le charbonneux morceau éponyme, sans doute le plus death de tous, avec ses ruptures rythmiques où le temps semble s'arrêter, agonisant. Mais, toujours, il y a la voix claire de Matt Lawson (exceptionnel tout du long) à faire couler des larmes chez le plus endurci d'entre vous, qui vient contrebalancer cette négativité minérale.
"Delusion" et "Don't Forget" illustrent parfaitement la musique forgée par le groupe qui sait éviter de par trop s'abîmer dans une lenteur monolithique. Leur art ne se veut peut-être pas le plus dépressif mais il compense par une beauté poignante que ces complaintes irradient avec justesse, à l'image de cette ballade doom qu'est le magnifique "Echoes", respiration mélancolique et manière de pause avant la descente à la mine constituée de "Belief Means Nothing" et du terrible "All Is Lost", sur lequel plane l'ombre du grand Opeth. Ce sont des torrents vertigineux emportés par des guitares qui viennent toujours souligner le désespoir des lignes vocales.
Puis survient "Waters Deep", le sommet de l'album, longue échappée tragique éclairée par moment par le fantôme du Anathema de jadis et durant laquelle Lawson pleure l'inexorabilité de la vie. Comment ne pas être touché, ému lorsqu'il chante "I feel there's no time for us, I feel there's no place for us".
Enfin, Into The Light meurt sur le déchirant "Hope" que tissent des riffs qui portent toute la douleur du monde. Pour l'instant, tout simplement le meilleur album dans le genre, avec le Death Magic Doom de Candlemass, de l'année 2009 ! Un chef-d'oeuvre. (01.04.09)