the quotidian joys of living in a hardcore Jewish neighborhood

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
crazy beeping like a truck backing up for hours yesterday. figured construction was going on.

around 6pm, left to eat dinner with my roommate's parents and their friends, who had come up to celebrate her graduation.

we walk by a house a few doors down, which appears to be the source of the persistent beeping. Jewish dude is out front all casual. we nod hello and he's like "know anything about fire alarms?"

we're like "just take out the batteries?"

and he's like "I can't, it's the holiday."

"do you want us to take them out?"

"...I can't ask you to do that."

"....OK. we're going to take them out. can we come in your house?"

he stands aside.

as soon as the beeping stops, a family of seven or eight people returns to the house, having been out taking a walk. "now we can eat dinner!" "and sleep!" "huzzah!"

the man who had been standing out front (who had caused the smoke detector to go off due to lighting a stick of incense....which i thought was melachot...but umm maybe it was a timer or something) went from being his family's goat to being his family's hero.

joys of living downstairs from people who don't think things through: wake up to find i'm breathing car exhaust since the neighbors have had their car idling in the driveway right next to my window for five minutes