The Rap Thread

Such a powerful song. Check out the lyrics to this song...i guarantee you'll get some kind of strong emotional response.

Completely agree, definitely one of the best rap songs ever written.

This is probably the climax of the song, it's just incredible the first time you listen to it:

"Right before he pulled the trigger and ended her life
He thought about the cocaine with the platinum and ice
And he felt strong standing along with his new brothers
Cocked the Gat to her head, and pulled back the shirt cover
But what he saw made him start to cringe and stutter
Cause he was staring into the eyes of his own mother
She looked back at him and cried, cause he had forsaken her
She cried more painfully, than when they were raping her
His whole world stopped, he couldn't even contemplate
His corruption had succesfully changed his fate
And he remembered how his mom used to come home late
Working hard for nothing, cause now what was he worth
He turned away from the woman that had once given him birth
And crying out to the sky cause he was lonely and scared
But only the devil responded, cause God wasn't there"

No I mean, all his stuff is pretty much the same. Eminem at least has a lot of variety, and his style has changed more towards a comical approach, so you can accept it for what it is. Tupac on the other hand always raps about the same thing...shooting people, the "thug life", and random insults towards rappers from the east coast. The only issues I've really seen him cover are racism and poverty (gang violence doesn't really count, cuz he was part of it).
I dunno, maybe I haven't listened to him enough but that's the impression I get.

All great rappers only get better over time. Eminem has gotten much worse and more of a joke over time. I was never an Eminem fan and I think the Rap genre would be better without him. he wouldn't even be very popular without the controversy over his lyrics and personal life.

Tupac's music covers much more topics than thug life and shooting people.

check out:
So Many Tearz
Unconditional Love
Str8 Ballin
Dear Mama
Lord Knows
Me Against The World
Smile

They're a little more hip-hop, but has anyone heard Dälek? Probably one of the most original rap/hip-hop groups I've ever heard.

Dälek are awesome.

Those who like Illmatic should check out The Infamous by Mobb Deep. It's another classic east coast (New York) hiphop album, and a lot grimier than Illmatic (so might appeal more to people who are into darker music). It also has some guest appearances by Nas, Raekwon and Ghostface.

Those who like Illmatic should check out The Infamous by Mobb Deep. It's another classic east coast (New York) hiphop album, and a lot grimier than Illmatic (so might appeal more to people who are into darker music). It also has some guest appearances by Nas, Raekwon and Ghostface.

Cheers for the recommendation.

Edit: just checked out Dälek, very nice.