The Rap Thread

Jan 29, 2007
Dont really know everyone here's opinions on rap... probably a lot of hate for it. Anyway, for anyone who does like rap, this is the thread. My favorites include Necro, Lord Infamous, Immortal Technique, Eminem, People Under the Stairs, Clipse, NWA, and others..

not much of a fan myself, though there is some stuff i like... i tried to get into "classic" albums like "it takes a nation..." and "straight outta compton" but they didn't do anything for me... i like the first snoop dogg album though... :oops:

Eminem is a freaking genius and I love him. He's probably the greatest artist of the 00 decade.

I'm not into much rap outside of that, but I'm trying to get into a little more stuff. Maybe some Nas.

Nas is amazing.
is easily one of the best of the 90s, of any genre, from any country.
There is such a great deal of talented hip hop artists out there. I don't understand the hate the genre gets with purveyors like Wu Tang, KRS One, BDP, Dre, Cube, Public Enemy, Biggie's first album, etc. It's a very powerful form of music when it's not used to promote pimping and bling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nas is amazing.
This song is easily one of the best of the 90s, of any genre, from any country.
There is such a great deal of talented hip hop artists out there. I don't understand the hate the genre gets with purveyors like Wu Tang, KRS One, BDP, Dre, Cube, Public Enemy, Biggie's first album, etc. It's a very powerful form of music when it's not used to promote pimping and bling.

Nas is alright, but I prefer stuff like Aesop Rock, Immortal Technique, Apathy, Jurassic 5, Wu Tang as you mentioned, El-P, C-Rayz Walz, and so on. The underground stuff is especially great.

I agree Nas is a great rapper and music artist, mostly because of his early albums.

Eminem is not very good IMO.

You might also like:
Hieroglyphics
Aesop Rock
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Method Man
Ghostface Killah
Capone N Noreaga

Checking out Nas now, seems like the only album worth getting is Illmatic, everything else is a bit hit & miss. Made you Look is cool though.

Getting into a little bit of Nas but firstly the album I got turned out to be censored (NO!!!) and secondly I really only wanna get into people who are pissed off and swear every other word. Aesop Rock appears to be awesome.

I don't really understand how anyone can consider Eminem untalented if they like rap. Is it because he's white and/or popular? Eminem's got rusty with age (like most people do after a couple albums), but early on his rhyming skills really were hard to match. Even if people don't like his music at all, I'd think his obvious skills would be acknowledged.

Getting into a little bit of Nas but firstly the album I got turned out to be censored (NO!!!) and secondly I really only wanna get into people who are pissed off and swear every other word. Aesop Rock appears to be awesome.

I don't really understand how anyone can consider Eminem untalented if they like rap. Is it because he's white and/or popular? Eminem's got rusty with age (like most people do after a couple albums), but early on his rhyming skills really were hard to match. Even if people don't like his music at all, I'd think his obvious skills would be acknowledged.

Check out some Tupac. Forget to mention Tupac in my list. You should probably start with a greatest hits album and go from there. Other rappers you might like are Scarface, Warren G, B.G.

Thanks! I'll check 'em out.

Once I heard a Tupac song with Led Zeppelin's Ten Years Gone sampled and that was sweet.

Immortal Technique-Dance with the Devil
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo[/ame]

Such a powerful song. Check out the lyrics to this song...i guarantee you'll get some kind of strong emotional response.

Check out some Tupac. Forget to mention Tupac in my list. You should probably start with a greatest hits album and go from there. Other rappers you might like are Scarface, Warren G, B.G.

Tupac pisses me off, because when I listen to rap the lyrics are most important, and his mainly consist of him being a little bitch about everything. The point of the whole gangsta rap thing seems to be, whoever has the biggest ego is the best.

Tupac pisses me off, because when I listen to rap the lyrics are most important, and his mainly consist of him being a little bitch about everything. The point of the whole gangsta rap thing seems to be, whoever has the biggest ego is the best.

wtf... I think you were listening to an Eminem cd lol.

Maybe you would prefer a Ludachris album.

wtf... I think you were listening to an Eminem cd lol.

Maybe you would prefer a Ludachris album.

No I mean, all his stuff is pretty much the same. Eminem at least has a lot of variety, and his style has changed more towards a comical approach, so you can accept it for what it is. Tupac on the other hand always raps about the same thing...shooting people, the "thug life", and random insults towards rappers from the east coast. The only issues I've really seen him cover are racism and poverty (gang violence doesn't really count, cuz he was part of it).
I dunno, maybe I haven't listened to him enough but that's the impression I get.