The Rational Economic Man

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
The United States' philosophy is essentially based on the thought that man is a rational economic animal: one who will make the best most rational decisions to increase his well-being and utility; one who is motivated to increase his wealth regardless of any moral, social, or ethical considerations. This philosophy is much more important to America than any shallow jingoistic ideas regarding democracy, political freedom, justice, etc.

Yet what are the consequences of such a philosophy? Does such a philosophy produce rapacious individualistic greed and materialism at the cost of any duty to the community? Does such a philosophy cause its citizens to be motivated solely by money, and to abscond themselves from the pursuit of knowledge, and culture? Is such a philosophy even possible in todays world with so many choices? Is this the biggest problem facing America today?

speed said:
The United States' philosophy is essentially based on the thought that man is a rational economic animal: one who will make the best most rational decisions to increase his well-being and utility; one who is motivated to increase his wealth regardless of any moral, social, or ethical considerations. This philosophy is much more important to America than any shallow jingoistic ideas regarding democracy, political freedom, justice, etc.

Yet what are the consequences of such a philosophy? Does such a philosophy produce rapacious individualistic greed and materialism at the cost of any duty to the community? Does such a philosophy cause its citizens to be motivated solely by money, and to abscond themselves from the pursuit of knowledge, and culture? Is such a philosophy even possible in todays world with so many choices? Is this the biggest problem facing America today?

I thought that the US philosophy did in fact include an assumption that there should be reverence for moral, social and ethical considerations, and many wealthy people like to pretend that they are moral. In business typically, "nice guys finish last" however and moral considerations are a hinderance to financial success.

Yes, such a philosophy would produce greed at the expense of destructive consequences to the community. People become admired for their riches rather than for their personal qualities, which remain undeveloped since it impresses fewer people if you are a poor intellectual than a wealthy uneducated person. Culture and knowlege become valued less.

The American Dream is never possible in that everyone cannot become rich, only a minority ever can.

Norsemaiden said:
I thought that the US philosophy did in fact include an assumption that there should be reverence for moral, social and ethical considerations.

Consider, we're talking about American Christian morals, and American Christian social and ethical considerations. In short, the true result becomes a anti-moral papermache of money-driven greed, hidden behind the guise of white american dictated, conservative christian good.

Look no further than any form of mass media to come out of the United States.

Norsemaiden said:
I thought that the US philosophy did in fact include an assumption that there should be reverence for moral, social and ethical considerations, and many wealthy people like to pretend that they are moral. In business typically, "nice guys finish last" however and moral considerations are a hinderance to financial success.

Yes, such a philosophy would produce greed at the expense of destructive consequences to the community. People become admired for their riches rather than for their personal qualities, which remain undeveloped since it impresses fewer people if you are a poor intellectual than a wealthy uneducated person. Culture and knowlege become valued less.

The American Dream is never possible in that everyone cannot become rich, only a minority ever can.

Wonderful post. More and more the American Dream means long grinding weeks of toil, debt, and ignorance.

I think American culture includes this assumption, but its become trite and disappeared more and more over the last fifty years. The last few generations have basically lived under the greed motto, and never grown up intellectually either. Look around the rest of the boards at American posters. Most quote fantasy or stephen king books as the only ones theyve read, love these increasingly plot-less and childlike movies out today, and have really nothing on their minds. And worse yet, most are educated! Im ranting. I'll let others post, and stop my rants.

speed said:
The United States' philosophy is essentially based on the thought that man is a rational economic animal...[THE ENTIRETY OF THE ORIGINAL POST]...Is this the biggest problem facing America today?

Great topic, speed! Or, more to the point, about seven great topics...too many points to comment on by someone, like me, who tends to blitzkrieg this forum with untended irregularity...:)

That said, I am most intrigued by the query/statement: Does such a philosophy cause its citizens to be motivated solely by money, and to abscond themselves from the pursuit of knowledge, and culture?

I think that the ideologies of "Do for yourself" and "Do for your bretheren," at the time that the US forefathers were penning the civil religion for their descendents, were seen as one in the same. At that time, the economist Adam Smith was embraced for his views - and those views created the idea that if everyone does what is best for himself, the result will be what is best for everyone. This implies (and was sometimes patently stated by Smith) that each individual pursuit that has worth to the society will be embraced by its individuals.

So, in lieu of an answer, I question (albeit, in a Devil's Advocate fashion) whether there is a real worth in any pursuit that does not satisfy the needs of the people; that is, if a thing can not be sustained by want of the people, is it something that is truly worthwhile to said people?

ARC150 said:
Great topic, speed! Or, more to the point, about seven great topics...too many points to comment on by someone, like me, who tends to blitzkrieg this forum with untended irregularity...:)

That said, I am most intrigued by the query/statement: Does such a philosophy cause its citizens to be motivated solely by money, and to abscond themselves from the pursuit of knowledge, and culture?

I think that the ideologies of "Do for yourself" and "Do for your bretheren," at the time that the US forefathers were penning the civil religion for their descendents, were seen as one in the same. At that time, the economist Adam Smith was embraced for his views - and those views created the idea that if everyone does what is best for himself, the result will be what is best for everyone. This implies (and was sometimes patently stated by Smith) that each individual pursuit that has worth to the society will be embraced by its individuals.

So, in lieu of an answer, I question (albeit, in a Devil's Advocate fashion) whether there is a real worth in any pursuit that does not satisfy the needs of the people; that is, if a thing can not be sustained by want of the people, is it something that is truly worthwhile to said people?

Yes, if anyone actually read Adam Smith they would discover how opposed he would be to our current economic system.

As for the second question, well without some persons pursuing such aims, than where would humanity be? For instance, still today in many countries (SOuth and Central America, parts of Asia) 95% of the population or more is only in pursuit of farming or other basic means of survival (satisfying the needs of the people), and thus few if any developments occur in any sphere: science, math, lit, art, innovations. Whereas if one looks at say Germany at the turn of the century, think how many persons were devoted at least part time to realms of pure ideas, and think of how many innovations occurred (many left to the US before or after WWII). Well thats a pathetic attempt at an answer.

Nitronium Blood said:
Shit. SO BUSINESS IS EVIL?!

Thanks for telling me guys. I shall never go into business. I would rather remain an employee.

You've misinterpreted this thread. The idea is not that capitalism is evil. The idea is that our society's basis in a very economic/individualist (almost Ayn Rand) sense (where persons think of only their own material and economic gain, and this is held to be the greatest good or pursuit by the government and society), is harmful to society as a whole, as it produces such greedy parasitic (infoterror's term) persons with no higher aims than materially advancing in society.