The Recording of "W5", the 5th and final WOODS OF YPRES album, Aug 8th-22nd, 2010

The plan... Ideally, I would like to do 500 vinyl 12" with download cards, sold direct from the band, and that's it! The end.

It will end up on i-tunes.

We may not even press it on CD.

We're back in the studio today, tracking bass. Crushing guitars start tomorrow, then nice sounding guitars right after.... then, the voices. Oi.

10 days left.

The plan... Ideally, I would like to do 500 vinyl 12" with download cards, sold direct from the band, and that's it! The end.

We're back in the studio today, tracking bass. Crushing guitars start tomorrow, then nice sounding guitars right after.... then, the voices. Oi.

10 days left.

Sounds good to me. I'd like to say that when its done, I want one and I'll gladly send money to you for it upon release.

10 days left.

Just make sure you put one aside for me David, it would make an excellent addition to my budding vinyl collection!

Really tough to come to terms with one of my favourite bands for such a long time breaking up. Really wished that I knew the last tour was the last ever, would have made it out to Toronto. Glad I got to see you at least once (well, twice with GoW). Looking forward to it, in whatever way it's released!

And DG, I really hope you don't stop making music (like I know you once thought about doing). That would be the saddest of all. Even if it's just you and your acoustic guitar, or a couple buddies... whatever. You've made great music, made this many fans, it would be fantastic to hold on to that and keep the music coming. Cheers.

Recording WOODS 5... 1.5 days later, mine guitars ist done.

Five big songs with different left and right speaker parts, cleans a la "Tonight's Decision", and massive extra big "CHUNG" guitars on the heaviest parts. I hear CROWBAR-meets PORCUPINE TREE, SENTENCED/AMORPHIS, some middle-eastern flavoured thrash-n'-doom, some of the purest, straight DOOM we've ever written...but then, ya know, all psychedelic, and lastly, ANATHEMA-meets-BLACK METAL, w/ sadness rock-outro.

Five big songs with different left and right speaker parts, cleans a la "Tonight's Decision", and massive extra big "CHUNG" guitars on the heaviest parts. I hear CROWBAR-meets PORCUPINE TREE, SENTENCED/AMORPHIS, some middle-eastern flavoured thrash-n'-doom, some of the purest, straight DOOM we've ever written...but then, ya know, all psychedelic, and lastly, ANATHEMA-meets-BLACK METAL, w/ sadness rock-outro.

Yup. Anticipation for W5 just hit a new high.

I can barely contain my excitement!

Sunday: Did WOODS photos, on a beach. The Madden brothers departed for home. Now, slumped up against a wall outside the studio, listening to Joel's soloing. Resting for a moment or two... Preparing mind, body and soul (lungs and balls) for one last week of triple-threat metal vocal madness.

DG - \w/