the recording thread!

Cool! Its been a couple of days since I checked this thread out; glad to see its taken interest.

If its alright with everyone, I'd like to take a stab at the mixing process. Heres an idea of mine too...if someone else wants to try mixing as well, why dont you guys upload all your tracks to a webspace of mine?? This will make transfering tracks A LOT easier for everyone as well. All you'll have to do is go to the site, and download what ya want.

If anyone wants to post what they have, just go here:
http://www.tripod.lycos.co.uk/myaccount/

Sign in with: abc213 and password: slayer

from there, click webFTP on the lefthand side, and a window should open. Click upload, select the track (no spaces BTW), and start uploadin. You'll know its done when 'main directory' appears on the left again..you know what I mean when you see it. :cool:

Oh, and the link will be:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/abc213/

Thanks, and later guys. Feel free to toss everything up there, I can DL everything at once then. :D

-hulk

I think I uploaded my file. I didn't see Hyde post that he put his up in the near future, I'll go ahead and post his too...but no rush..as we are still waiting for EC's brilliant bass track. =)

whoa! someone replied, lol. Thanks for the track rabies...now i have something to tinker with. :D

I guess I'll wait for the other tracks as they come in. hope to hear from the rest of ya!

I'll have mine for ya soon. :cool:

Been experimenting with this one.... trying to do it a bit on the different side.
sgrin.gif

Hey! Where ya been EC? :Spin:

I noticed a timing issue with the beginning when I put all the tracks in cakewalk...so I'm going to re-record drums tomarrow, playing to those tracks.

Question: I dont know if anyone was mixing, but I'd like to take a stab at it if thats ok. But the question is..I'm not quite sure how you guys work. With both rhythm tracks, do you usually just hard-pan those L & R? With such different tones, I was thinking of just layering them. Yay or nay?

Lemmie know you guys. :cool:

It's up to you how you want the mix to sound. We always experiment and post a couple of mixes and get feedback on how it sounds and then we make a final mix.
Usually we don't pan the guitars hard left and right if we are only using two tracks. We've found that if you copy the guitar tracks ( say 3 times) and eq them differently (one with more mids, one with more low, and one more high end) and you experiment with the panning of each then you can create a much thicker sound.
Our guitar tones are different, but don't be afraid to eq them to suit your ear and make them blend how you think they should. I don't use a lot of eq on my tracks so that the mixer has more options.

When I recorded I made a new drum track that had your count in (123 snare) pasted in at the beginning several times so that I would come in on time. If that is what you are having problems with, you can drag your un-altered drum track and the tracks should sync up pretty well.
If it would help you I can email you a copy of the altered track we used to record to. (hopefully I still have it) Unless you really want to re-record your track.

Thanks for the feedback Hyde! At the time I wasn't sure if anyone would get steamed cause they can't hear their guitar as much as (insert name here).

I still would like to record another track; I think I'll play quarters on the hi-hat open instead of 8th's closed....and add some 'flair' to it. :cool: I really didn't impress myself with my track, heh. I'll change that this afternoon. That'll be posted on my webspace that I posted above.

Later for now, I'm off to pick up St. Anger. :D

as has been said, we give the person doing the mixing free reign to do whatever to make it sound good to your ears. Then they submit, and we all vote. You'll automatically get the respect of everybody on the board if you submit a first take that shows good sense. Mixing is tough..we all record raw tracks, so it is completely up to the mixer to make all the instruments mesh together well. EQ away my man. It is also your responsibility now to let us know if one of OUR tracks is totally unworkable in a mix.

You'll find no egos here that I know of. Nobody is going to complain if 'thier' part is not louder than the other guitar part.

Man..my 7-string really does almost sound like a bass!
Not bad at all for a first stab!
There is some wierd digital noise at the start of it..
I also think that in the end, you will want to pan the guitars way more (like a 60-70% pan)..especially when the bass comes into the picture.

Not bad. :cool: I noticed the weird noise at the beginning too. Other than that, I noticed that the sound kept "swishing" from my left headphone to the right. I might have had a bad download that caused that, you can check your file and see if it does that too.
The timing seems to have varied some from the way the tracks I have sound, but sometimes there isn't any way to avoid that because timing errors can creep in when converting files from mp3 back to wav.

Not bad at all for your first attempt. Good job! :headbang:

Cool, thanks guys. About the panning - that could be changed more. At the beginning I didn't want the left guitar to be super-quiet, so I just panned it a little more.

The noise I'm not sure of...could be something that happened converting to mp3, I'll take a look.

Anyways, should sound pretty good with bass too. Thanks for the compliments!

A little update...I was bored today, so I recorded drums to seek & destroy. :loco: I may have to re-record thursday..I think the cymbals were a little too hot. I was messing around with eq the other day with my friend playing, and I think I fould a good bass drum sound. I'd be glad to try it out with a new tune. :cool:

Rabies...I am most definitely still around. Actually, I just got back from vacation today (Sunday). I've been stopping by and taking a look at things every now and then...paranoid still needs to be finished, however..

If anyone else wants to knock out any of the other tracks in this thread (or anything else for that matter), just get something started. I did it for paranoid, I'll let someone else get the ball rolling this time. :Spin:

Constantine said:
Just received a crack for Cool Edit. I can start recording again. !:headbang:

Rabbies or EC can you email me at home as to where we are sending tracks too, the process ect....
thanks
Constantine:wave:

Constantine, take a look a few posts back...maybe even the first page. I still have a webspace that can be used by anyone here...I haven't changed the password yet. Feel free to post a track there...that's what it's there for. :cool:

I kinda figure that way the person with the track only has to upload once, instead of sending it to everybody. Then everyone else can download it as they please.

It may not seem like I'm around...but I am. Start a project and watch me appear, lol.

Later guys

I guess paranoid is waiting for ECs bass work?

I'll look back through this thread and see what else was in here. If I remember correctly, you were not huge on maiden. =(

I think we have the most success with the 'simple' tunes. Probably because they are the fastest to record...and usually end up sounding the best. I'll try to come up with some more simple tunes that we can bang out. Would you be inclined to do simple Maiden tunes? ...such as Wrathchild...or Run to the Hills?

rabies said:
I guess paranoid is waiting for ECs bass work?

I'll look back through this thread and see what else was in here. If I remember correctly, you were not huge on maiden. =(

I think we have the most success with the 'simple' tunes. Probably because they are the fastest to record...and usually end up sounding the best. I'll try to come up with some more simple tunes that we can bang out. Would you be inclined to do simple Maiden tunes? ...such as Wrathchild...or Run to the Hills?

lol, i'm happy to do just about anything!! Maiden is definitely good for me! I haven't heard all of their albums (I'm working on it), but maiden is good. If you guys throw something out there, I'll be happy to let ya know if I'm willing to tackle it (as you did - did you want to re-record wrathchild? i believe its on my HD...as for RTTH...sure! But I heard it was hard to sing..? ).

Anyways, si. I'd be happy to try anything.

P.S., I still think some of you guys would like Iced Earth. :D Imagine if Metallica and Maiden merged....that would be IE. :cool: Plus, did you know...the ripper just did vox for their latest album? I believe he might be signing on as a full member too...